Pages

June 24, 2010

The Big City

Ya think?!

I was on a business trip to Toronto and had some time to kill, so I went downtown for some quick sightseeing. Due to the G20 summit, traffic was fairly easy, and fenced areas and lots of cops on foot, bicycles, motorcycles, horses, in cars, minivans, trams and on busses remind of the upcoming event.
Except for the relative cleanliness, Toronto reminds me very much of an all American city (no offense, please). But seriously, would an American cop have allowed me to do this? In exchange for a friendly question and a big smile this bike was mine for a minute. My thanks for this prop goes out to Officer H., one of Toronto's Finest.
They hire about anybody to help out during the G20 summit. 

There were motorcycles and scooters everywhere on Yonge Street, and parking doesn't seem to be a big issue as this example shows. This vehicle had parked in front of the Hard Rock Cafe the whole evening and didn't get fined or hauled away.
In a side street I discovered this: A motorcycle themed burger restaurant... something different!
I didn't want a burger but I got curious about the interior and went inside anyway. There were lots of posters with vintage bikes, and motorcycle memorabilia. Pretty cool.
I strolled up King Street East, here St. Andrews Church and CN Tower reflected in an office building.
It was a wonderful evening for motorcycles. Here's a nice one, too. What's he looking at?

Need food!!! Long walks make me hungry, and I started looking out for a decent restaurant. Should it be French, Greek, Italian, American, or Eastern Indian? I had a hard time making my decision. The menus were all the same tempting.
Finally I stopped at Dazzling, an Asian fusion cuisine and bar. There was no Bob around, but I had sushi anyway.
It was a splendid evening, with 27C and clear skies, I was sitting on a patio watching people go by, while enjoying decent food, and a glass of wine.
And did I mention that I actually sat on a real Harley Davidson Police motorcycle? Life is good!

9 comments:

  1. Looked good on the Harley. Maybe another new bike or a career change?

    Nice shots of the city. I really liked the one with the reflection of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sitting the police bike - now that is a cool photo. 10 out of 10 for doing that.... that is definitely one to send to your friends and family.

    Hmmn. Are you looking forward to Sundays match? You will have to get up early....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonja, you look awesome on the police bike. Aren't they great looking bikes!
    Great write up and pics on your visit to the city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allein in einer großen Stadt?

    Reminds me of a Marlene Dietrich song!

    Love the m/c themed restauarnt btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has just occurred to me. Did the cop take the picture? Fantastic if he did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SonjaM:

    MMM, I would have gone for the hamburger, you can get sushi anywhere.

    Yes, it's neat to be able to sit on a police bike but I don't know about actually riding one. Seems too big for me .

    can you hurry up and get back to Vancouver, I'm getting hungry

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Richard: Nah, no new bike for me, budget is already overstretched, but if it should be a HD, it would most likely be a Sportster.
    @Gary: You bet! I will be up early to watch the old classic GB vs. GER. May the better team win (that would of course be Germany)
    @bluecat: I am glad you enjoyed the pic. Sitting on a police bike had been on my mind for a while now.
    @Nikos: Thanks for stopping by, actually I wasn't alone, there were many cops around ;-)
    @Bob: These bikes are huge! Need to ride... see you soon again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As others have said Sonja, awesome photo on the police bike!

    Incidentally, you said a while back that you were involved with environmental management. Small world - for 2 years before I retired, I managed implementation of FSC environmental sustainability certification for our manufacturing group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Geoff: Small world indeed!

    ReplyDelete