With the Oregon trip only a few weeks away, it was good to hook up with Bob, and get some more ideas about the timing, the route and what to bring with. Today we met at a food place, and discussed our travel plans over a shared burrito and Mexican lemonade.
We require a com system, waterproof and with the widest possible range.
I need a GPS, well, actually I have one, I just need a RAM mount, and a ziploc bag to make it waterproof, plus a power adapter.
Also, I plan on getting some basic spare parts (headlight bulb, spark plug, siphon in case I am running out of gas, tire repair set).
Dear fellow bloggers, please feel free to suggest anything that might be useful and should be carried on a longer trip (and it doesn't have to be necessarily yellow...)
Back at home I got mail. My - of course - yellow Ortlieb Rack Pack has arrived (hence the pic). A completely waterproof bag for my clothes, and other items that won't fit in the Pelicans and top case. Good stuff! It will also serve me well when I go canoeing.

That looks like a good size bag. Does it use a zipper or does it open from one of the ends? I have a couple of the end opening ones and they are pretty inconvenient. Camping or motel?
ReplyDeleteAs far as what to bring, I noticed that Stacy has a great list. Just search her site bolty.com for "packed motorcycle camping" and it is the first result. I'm not that organized. I tend to just grab stuff and figure that anything I forgot I'll either go without or buy along the way...
Hi Sonja
ReplyDeleteSonja
Looks like you're pretty well prepared! I've used a ziplock bag before for the GPS but on my Blackbird, there was a lot of turbulence and it made the bag flap a lot, driving me nuts. If you have a similar problem, either tape it up securely or use microwave cooking clingfilm with a bit of tape - that's what I use now.
A roll of duct tape is handy to have and with your tyre repair kit, extra gas canisters as the ones which come with it are never sufficient. Either that, or one of those small mountain bike 2 way tyre pumps to supplement it. What I've recently done is to take the working parts out the plastic case of a battery-powered car tyre compressor to make it compact and carry that nowadays.
Got an accurate tyre gauge? I never rely on ones at gas stations.
Hope that's of help and if we don't catch up beforehand, bon voyage and have an absolute ball!
Maybe some ROK straps to tie down the dry bag.
ReplyDeleteAs Bob was involved I am not surprised you met at a food place!
ReplyDeleteHere are some other items you might want to consider taking....
Maps (even though you have a GPS) because a GPS doesn’t give you a good overview, plus what happens if it goes wrong?
A list of the phone numbers of BMW dealers on your route in case you need repairs.
I carry an “in case of emergencies” card in my wallet with important phone numbers etc.
Some basic tools.
Cable ties.
Electrical tape or duct tape.
Spare oil.
Small rucksack.
Bungee net.
Long cable padlock (so you can leave your jacket and helmet fixed to the bike when walking).
Drinking water bottle.
Suntan lotion.
Small plastic gas can and funnel (saves taking someone else’s fuel)
Waterproof and lightweight gloves.
Don’t forget your phone charger!
Pink crocs, or in your case, yellow crocs!
Most other things are obvious.
I see you have a tire repair kit on your list. As Nella has spoked wheels, there is a good chance you have tubes in your tires, in which case a tire repair kit is no good. I believe (but I may be wrong) that these repair kits only work with tubeless tires?
I hope this list helps.
I see a pattern with anything involving Bob. Food is always involved! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like every thing is coming together for your trip!
Bob has got to be the best person I have recently become aquainted with over the internet who is prepared for most issues that could crop up while on a motorcycle tour. That video he did on what he carries on his bike was very informative.
ReplyDeleteOne thing though, Sonja, in my humble opinion I will be really surprised if it's raining in mid July in central Oregon! Now having said that, it doesn't hurt to be prepared. :) Nice post - it's neat to read how you're preparing!
@ Richard: It’s a 50l bag, no zipper, open on top, but you can roll it up pretty tight. I didn’t like the end opening ones either, although they are much cheaper. We’ll be staying in a motel. Thanks for the link to Stacy. I will check it out.
ReplyDelete@ Geoff: Thank you very much, I will certainly get a tire gauge, I just have to find one that fits the beemer valves.
@ Gary: Great additions to my purchasing list. You obviously put a lot thoughts in your own planning! Good point to actually check what kind of tires I have (I should know that, shouldn’t I?)
@ bluekat: I will certainly not starve when riding with Bob ;-)
@ Mike: Since Bob has almost everything I was really tempted not to carry much myself. As for the waterproof bag: we have to cross Washington which is part of the we(s)t coast, and rain cannot be excluded, even in summer ;-)
Thank's so much y'all for leaving your comments. It helps a lot!!!
SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteone of the beauties of having a riding companion is not to have to duplicate emergency supplies. My theory is that with so many bikes in the area, with luck, you will find someone who will know what to do as long as you have the tools or parts.
I really liked the burrito and lemonade. We will have to do more trip planning soon and maybe this time we could drag out the maps
bob
Wet Coast Scootin
@ Bob: You are a gem ;-)
ReplyDeleteI love that yellow bag. The trip sounds so great and It's fun following your preparations. Looking forward both yours and Bob's posts on the way.
ReplyDeleteKaren
http://scootinoverthehill.wordpress.com
Sonja,
ReplyDeleteGary's comment about BMW dealers reminded me about the BMW club. You might already be a member but if you're not, I highly suggest joining (http://www.bmwmoa.org/). One of the benefits is the famous "Anonymous Book" (http://www.bmwmoa.org/club/). It's a small book that's published every year with the names of club members in every state & province who offer themselves as being avaliable to come bail you out if you get stuck. There are varying degrees of help which sometimes include hauling your bike to a nearby dealer. Of course, you'll have Bob with you but this might be a benefit someday, although I hope you don't ever have trouble. Just a thought.
@Karen: Thanks for stopping by, I see you have your own blog now, too. Wish you many happy miles with your scooter.
ReplyDelete@ Mike: Excellent idea, that makes sense, thank you.
Sonja - I hate to admit it, so don't tell anyone.... I had my Road King for 3 years and I didn't know it had inner tubes in the tires! I even carried a tire repair kit with me for about 15,000 miles of touring, which of course would have been useless. Let's just keep that one between us, eh?
ReplyDelete@Gary: Mum's the word!
ReplyDelete