Pages

January 09, 2011

January's First Outing

With great anticipation I watch the thermometer climb above 0C (32F). I am really excited to get out, and bordering on impatience because getting dressed takes forever today... three layers of everything. But no, I don't need no stinkin' heated vest.
With no particular direction in mind I meander along Fraser River towards the coast and finally end up in Ladner.
Except for a short hailstorm which make for some funny noises on my helmet and visor, weather and temperatures are bearable. I am happy to see at least five other motorcycle riders on the road. Way to go, guys! (No gals on bikes to be seen though.)
On the last stretch riding home the cold is finally creeping in. I start shivering a bit and crank up my heated grips to the max. Maybe a heated vest is not such a bad idea after all. Back home a hot shower marathon ensues, meanwhile hubby makes me a steaming bowl of chicken noodle soup. Life is good!

Keep sMiling!

Distance: 132km (82mi)
Weather: Cloudy, 4C (40F), short hailstorm

15 comments:

  1. Excellent, glad you got out.....I would be happy to shift some of the heat we are having over to you...but alas not possiable. Still I think you have more guts than me I dont think I would be keen to go out when so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing quite like a hot shower and good soup after a day of riding in the cold. Glad you got out. So did I but, it wasn't that cold here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could give you some of the heat we are getting, you are a brave lass to ride in those tempertures....good stuff, and very glad you got out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Considering that I spent January 2010 in Winnipeg, Manitoba at -40C (-40F) windchill not included, I am thankful being able to ride all year round in British Columbia. It might not be perfect but I am not complaining, since I will be safe from cabin fever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your January ride! Can't wait to get back on the bike!

    My motorcycle is on a trickle charge in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome Sonja! I really admire how you go out in weather that would keep us Californian softies in bed the whole day! We have a trip to the cost planned tomorrow morning! That will be fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @helmetorheels: I know how that feels... waiting for ridable weather to return. Just don't get cabin fever, Pam.
    @Guido: At least I still can ride. Best January since a very long time ;-) Have a great trip tomorrow, have fun and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pics! Hope, we will have a wonderful new year to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang! 82 miles and no heated jacket!! Brrr!
    Beautiful scenery on your ride. I'm always pleased to see other riders out on cold and/or wet days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sonja:

    How I envy your weather! And I am assuming you have heated gear too. Pretty pics. It's odd to see a place that is north of here, yet as green as if it were spring.

    I would give my eye-teeth for roads that were dry, clear of salt and sand — without a glimpse of the white stuff in sight.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Carla: Thanks for stopping by. Thats a good wish to all riders.
    @Charlie6: You are my role model ;-)
    @bluekat: It was toasty at the beginning, but after 3 1/2 hourse it became a little nippy.
    @Jack Riepe: The lower mainland is still greenish, but on higher grounds we have snow and ice as well, hence a no go for me (yet). And no, I don't own heated gear (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sonja! Great day for a great trip! Hope this is a good omen for the rest of the year! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. "But no, I don't need no stinkin' heated vest".

    For a bit there you sounded like me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @BeemerGirl: Lori, I sure hope so, too.
    @irondad: Now, where did I pick up that attitude?

    ReplyDelete