I did it. I test-rode the Bonnie. My first time on a Triumph. Not much introduction and explanation needed, the bike doesn't have much to play around with. A Spartan tachometer with some idiot lights, that's it. A board computer on a retro-classic wouldn't work anyway.
The choke irritates me a bit, that thing being fuel injected and all, but it obviously helps awaking the machine to life. Once warming up, the motor mumbles. I had almost forgotten how smooth two cylinders are compared to a single. Shifting gears is a pleasure, no clunk, just precise engaging.
The road behind the dealership leads me along an arm of the Fraser River, were I do some exercising. Low speed maneuvers? No problem with this nimble and lightweight bike. Speed bumps? The shocks could be a wee bit smoother. Acceleration? With 865cc and 67hp a non-issue. Ergonomics? I am in a comfortable and upright position, and feet rest in a relaxed angle on the pegs. Just the way I like it. The levers are easy to grab and to handle.
Some emergency braking show me the limitations of this bike. Used to the comfort of ABS I hit the rear brake too hard, and the wheel locks up on me. With screeching rear tire I paint black rubber on the road, and come to a halt, a little embarrassed I look behind me, a straight line, no break-out. I speed up again, and repeat. This time, I get it right, no lock-up. I would have to be much more disciplined in braking, if I were to buy this bike. The safety and reliability of ABS has made me a sloppy rider.
I compare the Bonnie with a well priced brand-new 2010 BMW F650GS, and I see reason and functionality in the Beemer. An on-board computer and tire pressure monitor, heated grips, ABS and center stand. The F650GS would make so much more sense.
My need is to get a (newer) bike with less vibrations, a two-wheeler that is good for zipping around, and still good enough for the longer haul. Something other than chain for a final drive would be nice to have but my acquired taste in bikes doesn't allow the switch, I have signed up for the chain gang, probably for good.
My want is two bikes. I want both, the Triumph Bonneville and the BMW F650GS. I like them both, I trust both brands and their reliability. My heart prefers the Bonnie but my mind says swap the Beemer for an upgrade. My brain hurts from thinking...
Nella is put up for sale, and meanwhile I am sitting on the fence...

Sonja, I have an almost-identical bike. My Bonnie is the carb version, not the fuel-injected one, but in most respects it is the same. It's a great bike, and I would happily recommend it to anyone. Don't worry about the lack of ABS - you have already overcome the main issue by learning to moderate the rear brake. If I can help with any information, I'd be glad to assist. Email is on my blog.
ReplyDeleteLife's too short to always do the "right" thing. Go with your heart and buy the Triumph - then learn how to brake again.
ReplyDeleteYou don't buy a bike with your head, you buy it with your heart. When I started riding, everyone kept telling me that, and it seems it's true.
ReplyDeleteI love the Bonnie (and the scrambler for that matter). It's my favorite style of bike. (And that classic style will look so nice next to the Vespas!) I'll just send my best wishes to you as you choose your next ride. Always tough, but also exciting and fun. Good luck!
As others have said, learning the braking behavior on a particular motorcycle is a necessity. How about an F800GS? : )
ReplyDeleteI loved the ABS on my R1150RT, when on pavement and when the surface was smooth. On dirt, not so much.
However, sounds like the Bonnie is a good fit for you and how you feel on a bike is supremely important in whether you'll ride it or not. Go with your gut.
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
This is the Devil speaking..... a black Bonnie - you know you want one. Lots of extras available too.
ReplyDeleteNo need to thank me - temptation is my middle name :-)
Buy the Bonnie, Take the Triumph, Toot the Trumpet, then enjoy.............. :)
ReplyDeletePssst... Tiger 800
ReplyDeleteTry it, you'll like it.
It might just be me, but I wouldn't buy a motorcycle without ABS anymore. I know that I'll be in a situation one day where it safes me. Yes, I can ride, not too bad I hope, but I will be tired one day, after a long ride, it might be dark, wet, whatever - and I hit the brakes and the ABS will prevent me from going down. Hopefully.
ReplyDeleteIt is something that I buy with the hope to never use it. Same as full gear, helmet, and so on. I will never be better and more reliable than a modern ABS. Not when I'm not at absolutely 100% of my abilities. And I will not be once I'm in a situation where I need it - unprepared, surprised, bad road surface. Shit always comes together.
Nevertheless, I agree with all the rest - motorcycling is a lifestyle, not a decision made by reasoning. Cars are cheaper, safer, and more comfortable. So, for me the trick was to get what moved me and gave me the basic safety features I was looking for.
Was the Bonnie enough to let you stop reasoning? If not, keep testing ... and if you still think about the F650GS twin, give the Tiger 800 "Roadie" a hard look. Worth it in my opinion.
The choices we make in buying bikes don’t always make sense, so do what the majority say on here and go with your heart. Otherwise, nobody would ever have bought a new Triumph, or a Harley, or a cafe racer, or a chopper..... It’s about what you want, not what you need. Life is too should to always take the sensible option.
ReplyDeleteA F650GS thumper with ABS. If only it wasn't a Canadian bike....
ReplyDeleteSome people say that ABS will be mandatory in Europe in 2012 on new machines - I expect Triumph will fit it!
ReplyDeleteSonjaM:
ReplyDeleteMy ABS has saved me more than once on sandy surfaces. I could feel it engaging.
At the bike show I sat on a few bikes as I was looking for the ultimate adv tourer and only two fit like a glove. As Troubadour mentioned, I looked at the Tiger 800 but by the time you outfit it with bags it is nearly the price of the full sized one. I believe there is no perfect bike, each is a compromise. You need a stable and use the one that suits your needs for that day. A small dual sport XT225 for offroad and buzzing around town, and a road bike for trips.
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
It is a hard decision to balance wants and needs. I am confident you will find a compromise or else end up with two eventually.
ReplyDeleteI know when I was looking I knew I 'needed' a larger bike than the TU but 'wanted' a Street Triple. I compromised with the Gladius. Not quite a Street Triple but bigger than the TU at a price I could afford.
You'll see the one and know it. Have fun in the search.
The Bonneville has a monster list of accessories. Including a $500 belt drive option from New Bonneville. I was going to do that but the Loobman oiler means my chain is pretty much trouble free.
ReplyDeleteWhat I find disturbing is so much reliance on technology. It's the same debate sailors have between sextants and GPS. Technology is great but not being able to brake without ABS should be of more concern than saying the bike has "limitations."
Much though I love my 52,000 mile Bonneville it is a simple bike and not for everybody in this techno crazy age.
Conchscooter.
Ack!! Nella up for sale?? And I must point out the error in your thinking of "two bikes". You need three. (Need to keep Paolo.)
ReplyDeleteI don't know...lots of great advice, and you will ultimately do what you want. But the soulful smile on your face astride the Bonnie... You were already feeling the rides you were going to take with her.
Good luck with this difficult head vs heart struggle.
-Lori
What an exciting experience!/Hilarious! Delightful! True!/wonderful stuff! thank you!
ReplyDeleteWheels For Sale