Here is my 'sloop': The Rover, a 2008 Harley Davidson XL883 Sportster, fuel injected, with windshield, extra seat and sissy bar (not yet installed), and only 5,600 klicks on the clock.
Let's revisit my list of requirements:
- Feet flat on the ground - check
- Decent wind protection through windshield - check
- Just enough cc's to keep me grounded- check
- No more spokes - check
- Belt drive - check
- Heated grips - nope
- ABS - nope
- Nimble, easy handling- check
Insuring the bike in BC (BC means 'Bring Cash' for a reason...), makes riding a luxury, and I wonder how or how long people can afford this hobby. By the time the provincial scavenging they call HST kicked in, staff had to apply CPR to get me back to life. My poor credit card didn't make it though...
My first trip led me straight to the Harley Davidson dealership in Langley. The welcome (to the family), and the service was awesome. They took the Sportster in without appointment to install the engine guards I had just purchased, checked the bike quickly, tightened some screws, adjusted my handle bar to a more comfortable position for me, and topped up on air and oil. And while waiting I procured a small magnetic (finally!) tank-bag for my bare necessities.
Then I sailed away into the sunset.
On a deserted farm road a stopped for a little bike porn.
Stay tuned for the new adventures of SonjaM and Rover.
Love it...I've got a 2011 SuperLow (had a 2009 Nightster)...amazing little bikes, aren't they!!
ReplyDeleteIt's only a matter of time before you start inserting "arrrr matey" into your every other sentence isn't it? : )
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the sportster, just don't buy into the "herd mentality" that seems to go with HD riding.
Please tell me you'll continue to ATGATT.
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
WoooHooo! That's a bike that will allow you to rove far and wide. Great choice of name. And, yes, I'm staying tuned for lots of new adventures! Ride safe! I will miss the yellow, though.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new ride Sonja. I am happy you found one you could bond with. Many happy miles of riding to you and Rover. Land ho!
ReplyDeleteWhat happened to the Triumph Bonneville? Now you're going to have to visit the tattoo parlour, spit, swear and flash your boobs at biker rallies.
ReplyDeleteThe sportster is a nice bike and I'm looking forward to reading about your new adventures, congrats!
@Donna aka Froggi: The Super Low was high on my list, because of the bigger tank and the better seating position, ala no used one around... Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDelete@Charlie6: Dom, my only herd is the Free wheelin'ladies club, and all ride different brands and types, including scooters. No worries.
@Circle Blue: Keith, thanks for your kind words, you know with a used bike, you don't get much of a colour choice it was either black or... black. And one was red but not in good shape.
@Trobairitz: Thanks, Brandy. It will take me around for a while, and I see how I like the brand. I have to say the first encounter with the dealership was the best customer experience I ever had.
@Troubadour: It was simply a commercial decision. No Bonnie's for sale in the price bracket I had envisioned, some were leaking, they were not in very good shape and the dealership network is pretty poor in Canada. The Sporty was my second best choice.
As for the tattoo... been there done that long ago, I swear in several languages, but I don't do rallies, and flashing while riding is probably not safe, eh?
fabulous! ah i miss my sporty... enjoy the many many miles ahead! yay!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Quite an interesting choice. I did like the confidence I felt in cornering when I rode Oilburners every so often.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
-Lori
That looks like a pretty nice bike. Thou you may need to get new riding gear, hi-viz just doesn't seem to go with the brand. Then again, you may start a new trend ;-)
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to the ride reports.
Richard
Sonja - congratulations!!!! Must say it looks the biz in black - please don't go painting flames, stars whatever on the tank though!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Troubadour on the new image :-)
Nice bike, I love the sportster. For now I am content with the scoot, too exhausted to think of taking on anything new. I am aiming for next year now for a motorcycle licence & bike. House renos are consuming my universe right now. We have Buccaneer days in Esquimalt and the pirate look is big here. Insurance is discouraging here, the cost is ridiculous. Have fun on your new ride! The pink bandana looks cute. Did you keep your scooter?
ReplyDelete@mq01: Hello, Ms M. Thank you, I hope to log a few more miles before the winter is back.
ReplyDelete@BeemerGirl: I think at least once in a lifetime one should ride a Harley just for shits and giggles.
@RichardM: I have never been one for conformity, my Olympia jacket stays with me.
@Geoff James: Geoff, ok I promise to keep the bike pure black, I would have preferred flat black, and blacked out everything... but choices are limited when you are buying used.
@Dar: So, what you say is that I fit just right in when visiting Esquimalt? Hmmmm. There are no plans selling the Vespa any time soon. (Selling Paolo, over my dead body!)
Now - that's a surprise! Or, maybe not after you wrote about the test ride. Congratulations on the new ride! Many many safe and happy miles!
ReplyDeleteOne day I'll ride a HD for a weekend just to see what this is all about ... if they only weren't so heavy ... ;-)
@Guido: It will certainly not be my last bike... but for now it is a perfect fit for my current purpose. I don't intend to travel the world with it, or go off road, and I have to admit that there is certainly something fascinating about this two-wheeled American icon. And heavy? It doesn't feel at all like over 500 lbs iron. Give it a try!
ReplyDeleteThere is certainly something to be said to the "modern classics" of Harley Davidson. Most of them aren't fitting my visual taste though ... I like the looks of your's in black and with the windshield. Looks like a nice cruiser!
ReplyDeleteI don't go offroad much either, but you have ridden with me on my preferred roads here in the Bay Area - I could certainly do with something 50kg less than the GS for those ... No! I won't sell the GS. I just added character to it ... ;-)
@Guido: You added 'character"... so I have heard ;-) A Vespa would do perfectly fine on those little roads in the Bay Area by the way. And, they look pretty, too.
ReplyDeleteSonja have you checked out some of the electric bikes? My hub has been riding a Honda V45 Magna for 28 years and now he thinks he would like one of these. I think it is called a Brammo Enertia. I think he likes it because it is new technology, the only thing he isn't crazy about is that it's an automatic transmission. He said there is one in town, and it is silent, he says that might be dangerous because there is no motor noise. Any thoughts about these?
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new ride!
ReplyDeleteDid I ever mention it was a Sportster that started me down the path to becoming a rider? Nice looking bike, very classy.
oh, and I agree with you about spokes!