Pages

August 23, 2011

Epic rides on little scooters

While surfing the net I recently came across some brave scooterista who mastered huge distance travel on their 'underpowered' vehicles.

There is Binh Cheung who rode from California to Alaska (and back)... on a Symba! Jari Tulilahti from Finland scooted all over Europe with his Vespa. And Eric Swanger dared to take his Vespa down the legendary Route 66.


All those tales from the road are admirable and inspiring, and show that it doesn't take a big bike, expensive expedition equipment and a bunch of sponsors to make it happen.

6 comments:

  1. sometimes its not how many cc's you have but how you use them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the links. I don't think I've ever seen a tourist on scooters around here but plenty on bicycles and motorcycles. There has even been the odd traveler on foot heading to or arriving from South America. Inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find. I've had discussions that 15-20 years ago it was common to do cross country trips on 350 cc motorbikes. The big cc's are fairly newish.

    I like you missed Sydney to London on a Moped called DOT. Good read and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said to somebody else,

    If you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found a great. I've had discussions that 15-20 years ago it was common to do cross country trips on 350 cc motorbikes. The big cc's are fairly newish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonja, I have been away from reading blogs but is it true you got rid of Nella?
    Great post by the way, thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete