Both being huge fans of jazz music (classic, funk, fusion, basically everything but free-style) we decided to spend the weekend in Whistler and attend the newest Jazz Festival, a three-day open air event with free (and some ticketed) concerts.
Originally we had planned to travel by Vespas but hubby's shoulder was acting up again, so he preferred the car. And knowing well that I would be grumpy all weekend if I didn't get my two-wheeled fix, the best husband of all let me lead the way by Sportster.
Traffic up to Whistler was an ordeal, cagers everywhere, going 70 km/h where signs allowed to go 90 km/h, slowing down to snail speed before every turn, and panic brake maneuvers before merging lanes. Some people simply shouldn't be on the road!
Lots of riders were on the road as well. I gave up on waving at all of them, my hand was getting tired...
We had made reservations at the Aava, a newer, reasonably priced, clean and quiet contemporary hotel, located on the edge of Whistler town site. The room was already available, and we could move in early after we parked our vehicles safely underground.
After settling in we explored the pedestrian zone in order to get a decent food fix. The ride in fresh mountain air had made me hungry, and I was in the mood for Italian, which means authentic cuisine, and not Spaghetti Factory stuff.
The husband knew where to get a fix for my craving, and guided me straight to Il Caminetto Di'Umberto, probably the best Italian restaurant in town.
We had excellent halibut and veal parmigiana, plus half a liter of white wine. After that we were not only filled up but also reasonably tipsy (not used to alcohol...), and staggered back to the hotel to sleep off our inebriation.
Somebody's having fun!
Pretty girl!
Yours truly with helmet hair.
The rest of our time was spent on listening to all varieties of jazz music, but the highlight was certainly Spyro Gyra, an American Jazz fusion band, originally formed in the 70's, and today better than ever. The stage was state-of-the-art and the sound (especially given it was open air) was awesome, a real treat for the ears.Monday morning we beat traffic by heading home early. We hit the road by 8AM, and I was thankful for my Olympia jacket with the inner liner, and my leather pants, because is was friggin' cold! Two and a half hours, 150km and a few foto ops later we arrived back home. It was a smooth ride sans traffic, with clear skies and crisp air (and did I mention cold?).
All in all a wonderful weekend getaway.
Life is good!
Sonja, you look good with helmet hair. What a great weekend getaway, what a husband, nice catch.
ReplyDeleteNow if I could even coax my wife onto the back seat of my Vespa for a spin around the block, that would be an achievement for me.
David (Scootcommute.blogspot.com)
@David Masse: Thank you, is was great indeed, we had a blast, still missing the Montreal Jazz Festival though. Might go there next year.
ReplyDeleteTake it slow with the wife, my husband needed over a year before he even approached a Vespa ;-)
Maybe you can persuade her into an early morning ride on a Sunday, with breakfast included as a treat to work off the adrenaline?
I am more of a blues fan myself.........but I will continue to folow your blog anyway!! hehe...
ReplyDeleteLooks like a geat little weekend and very refreshing. Just what I need at the moment that is for sure.
SonjaM, sounds like a great weekend getaway...you've quite the understanding hubbie I must admit. He and Martha understand our needs for motorcycling "fixes".
ReplyDeletedom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
@Raftnn: Roger, I don't blame you for being a blues fan and appreciate you continue following anyway ;-)
ReplyDelete@Charlie6: Hubbie certainly would have been happier with me in the car for conversation but yes, I am lucky that he knows what I need ;-) we are blessed with those partners.
I remember Spyro Gyra from back in the '70s but I don't think that I've heard the name since then. It looks like you had a great ride up into the mountains. Just yesterday evening, I was talking to a bunch of others and we all seem to just pass through BC without ever venturing much off the main roads. Just never seems to be enough time....
ReplyDeleteYou mean Spaghetti Factory isn't Italian?!
@RichardM: If you have a chance check them out, Spyro Gyra have never been better.
ReplyDeleteSpaghetti Factory? Oh boy, don't get me started on this one ;-) To contrary popular belief an eatery that has pasta dishes on their menu doesn't necessarily make it an Italian Restaurant. The menu merely offers run-off-the-mill all-American food-stuff. But Italian? Far away from that!
Good food, great music, two wheels, fantastic husband - you've got it all eh? It's weekends like this which makes the working week bearable!
ReplyDelete@Geoff James: Geoff, I am certainly not complaining ;-) Aren't we lucky?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great weekend getaway. Good food, good music, good place to stay and good company makes for a great weekend. Oh wait - and a good ride home too, even if it was chilly. Me thinks you've warmed up by now though.
ReplyDeleteHow totally awesome!
ReplyDeleteSaw the edge of the Starbucks sign in the restaurant photo. Great Italian food and Starbucks near each other? Priceless.
Did you park the bike first, or did the car get parked first? Inquiring minds want to know.
@Trobairitz: Brandy, the warm-up began on decent from the mountain ;-)
ReplyDelete@irondad: I parked the bike first, and directed hubby to come as close as possible to limit unwanted access from curious third parties...
I am so glad you were able to ride Rover! there is nothing better than riding in the sunshine, makes you feel as free as a bird. The food looked fabulous. The pictures of the jazz fest are great, I can almost imagine what the music sounded like. It is definitely getting cooler and will soon be time to pull out the winter gear components and rain gear as well. I just hope when I do my motorcycle course in October that I have good weather.
ReplyDeleteIt has been stunning in Victoria and I will take summer now even if it's a little late!
@Dar: Oh Dar, it was a fantastic outing, everything was perfect. We were on the island mid October last year, and had ideal weather. You'll be fine!
ReplyDeleteSonja,
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a great outing. My knowledge of jazz is limited to Kind of blue and that Miles was a heroin addict. Sorry, that's about all I got out of my pop music class. This looks interesting, in spite of my less-than-informed perspective.
Also, my stomach audibly grumbled when scrolling over the food porn. I'm not a foodie food porn kind of guy, though I do like a tasty meal, and you've inspired me to get off my butt and go find breakfast.
Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
Really food porn doesn't always tempt me that much, but dinner looks delish! What a fun trip. I'd forgotten Spryo Gyra....dang, that brings back memories.
ReplyDeletebtw, you do helmet hair well. That's why I like short hair, just fluff it and go!
Sounds like an absolutely wonderful weekend! But I have to ask, compared to a previous post title, is summer over now? ;)
ReplyDeleteGlad Rover got to stretch the legs. I'm still working on getting that part mailed to you. Terribly lazy.
@Brady: I am a kid of the 80's and the music sucked, so I learned to listen to 70's rock music, but as you are growing older (and probably wiser) the taste in music changes. Jazz is something I can listen to all the time. But I like Indy and Emo, too. Hope the breakfast satisfied your taste buds and tummy's desire.
ReplyDelete@bluekat: Kari, I always had short hair, and wouldn't want to have it any other way. It is just so convenient, fast to style and easy to maintain ;-)
@BeemerGirl: Summer isn't over. We still have high 20C during the day, but mornings are getting a little chilly, especially in the mountains...
What an idea, on my next trip I will try to convince my wife to follow in her car, I won't have to carry as much luggage ;-)
ReplyDelete