Here's my take on this cool and stylish two wheeled vehicle. For all who expect an expert's opinion... please don't. An objective review on a piece you love is next to impossible.
As often with commuter vehicles the Vespa came with a few battle scars on the right side as a result of a reckless driver backing into the scooter and kicking it over. The cager had fled the scene, and the previous owner didn't have the budget to get the damage fixed. As a result I got a reasonably good deal on it because the bike was otherwise in good shape, and just serviced by the best scooter dealer in town.
I have owned this scooter for five months now, and I am extremely happy with it, rain or shine.
A 60's Advertisement in a US magazine with lots of text...
People could actually read back in the days?
I named it Paolo (the little one), as it is the smallest bike in my two-wheeled family. Force of habit as well as blind dedication made me farkle up the scooter regardless of its scars.
I added a fly screen, put my GPS ram mount on the mirror, installed a power plug, mounted a rear rack for my luggage roll bag, and got a side stand. Occasionally the bike would feature a front rack but as it is causing unwanted wobbles, it hasn't been used very often. Maybe I am going to re-sell this farkle.
No doubt 200cc are more than enough to scoot around in town or for daily commute. I am also not shy to take major roads, as the Vespa can keep up easily with highway speed, and we even do 'International' travels.
Endurance for (wo)man and machine had been tested on our epic trip through Northern Washington, and Paolo performed extremely well. No flaws, no complains, it rolled and rolled.
Recently I had the scooter serviced again, fluids exchanged, and a new rear tire (Pirelli) installed. Otherwise it didn't need anything but a full tank of gas and continued exercise. The motto being: I ride daily, so I need no stinkin' battery tender (not that I could install one in the parkade anyway...).
Other motorcycles seem to come and go in my life, and I have yet to find the perfect keeper. I will probably continue to shop around for conventional bikes until I found my perfect idol. How different is two-wheeled life with scooters. I don't want anything else but my Paolo.
One day I will have the paint and dents fixed, or maybe have it re-painted all-together. The "Daring Plum" is a colour I had to get used to and I don't mind it, my favourite colour however would be "Giallo Arancio":
Giallo Arancio dal 1968 al 1969
MaxMeyer
1,298,2916
Time (and budget) will tell. Until then I hope that we will have many more miles (and smiles) together.


Scooters seem to be a great option especially for commuting but as you have demonstrated, they work well for longer trips. I've looked at several around here and have come to the conclusion that the roads near our house require something with 100cc or more (due to the speed limits and hills). The orange color looks good, not as bright as orange was in the 70s. Much more subdued.
ReplyDeleteI wonder what my next bike might be? Since I'd like to stay in the 250-300cc range, it will probably be a scooter. Only time will tell. I think Richard is right. If I had it to do over I'd probably get at least a 150cc. That said, I can't imagine not having the Symba. Oh well, time does march on.
ReplyDeleteI wish that I bought a 200 instead of the GTS which in my opinion is too complicated and thus in my case proved utterly unreliable. Most people are not high mileage riders so the excessive electronics in a GTS, squeezed to get top possible performance doesn't matter.
ReplyDeleteI steal my wife's ET 4 whenever she will let me and enjoy the ride. Also carburetted also simple and surprisingly fast as cagers find out.
Good compilation of your time with your scoots....
ReplyDeletedom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
I share your love of scooters. I have farkled my scoot completely and I love that like machine, For now we have agreed to keep my scoot & not sell it to pay for my motorcycle. The motorcycle is great, but too big for the ike cage at work, so I have the best of both worlds.
ReplyDeleteYour experiences still have me thinking of a Vespa. There happens to be one at my BMW dealer right now that I keep eyeing. I just am afraid that I won't use it enough. :(
ReplyDelete@RichardM: Not sure if a scooter would be the best option up North, but for city commuting, especially in the congested lower mainland it is the only option, really ;-)
ReplyDelete@Circle Blue: Keith, 150cc is good 200cc is better, especially when stretches of highway are involved. But I cannot see you part with Billie any time soon.
@Conchscooter: Michael, I wasn't fond of the carbureted Vespa at first, but you are right, it is reliable and uncomplicated. It has not let me down yet. Although, hubby's GTS 250 is doing well. We haven't had any major issues so far.
@Charlie6: Thanks, Dom.
@Dar: Good move, Dar. Keep'em both. The scooter is just so much more fun in city traffic.
@BeemerGirl: Lori, first I thought the Vespa wouldn't be used much because I bought it to scoot around with hubby, but I have grown fond of it during my daily commute. If you can get a decent deal... buy it ;-)