#27: Draggin' it
I am almost at the end of my rope with this challenge, and will just continue to tell some stories from the road.
The area where I grew up has a very distinct architecture: timber framing, often with the beams in black, and walls in white. The frames are exposed, and the filling is from bricks, plaster or clay. This ancient technology is not much different from how post and beam construction is done in nower days, even though some the materials might have changed.The area was famous for tool and blade manufacturing, and these tools needed servicing such as sharpening or whetting.
A nearby river would be used as power source to work the water wheel that moves the grinder. This grindery is called Wipperkotten (Wipper = fast flowing creek, Kotten = hut, cottage), and was build back in the 17th century.
Unfortunately the museum was closed, so I continued to meander along the small roads, and thought many times... I wish I had a scooter.
Due to the time of the day there was almost no traffic which made the drive quite enjoyable.







Sonja - you are rocking the challenge. I love seeing your pictures and reading your story about them.
ReplyDeleteDar, this is very kind of you, thanks for following.
DeleteWhat could be better than your stories from the road ... and what an interesting road it has been to follow. Beautiful countryside, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI love how the houses are right on the street. It's so quaint, but I sure wouldn't want to live in them. Riding a scoot through the countryside would be a dream date indeed! Great shots!
ReplyDeleteSonja, I am also loving your pics and commentary.
ReplyDelete