Pages

February 29, 2012

Moto Photo - #29 of 29

Whoot! I made it through the #29 of 29 Challenge, and would like to close up with a shocking detail of legalized waylaying:
#29: Not kidding!

EUR/L USD/L USD/GAL
1,43 1,92 7,27
1,56 2,10 7,95
1,59 2,14 8,10
1,65 2,22 8,40

Thank y'all for taking the time to follow me on the #29 of 29 Challenge and special thanks to those who commented, and of course thanks to Fuzzy for the idea. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Please make sure to check out the other participants in this wonderful challenge initiated by Fuzzy:

24 comments:

  1. Ouch. Maybe I'll think twice before whining about gas prices in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One reason why scooters and other motorized two wheelers are so much more popular over there...

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's definitely highway robbery....am curious though, what percentage of that is taxes? I've been told in Europe, there's a high amount of taxes added to the price of gasoline.

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, the "eco-taxes" in Germany are outrageous: 65,96 EuroCent per liter gasoline, or 47.43 EuroCent forDiesel.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, but we beat you..., here in Portugal

    Prices today, February, 29, 2012

    Unleaded 95 oct €1.719
    Unleaded 98 oct €1.869
    Diesel €1.549
    Diesel + €1.609
    GPL €0.829

    Best regards

    JC

    Lisbon
    Portugal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose, how the heck do you manage? Is the tax portion in Portugal even higher than in Germany? I feel sorry for you guys...

      Delete
    2. Taxes are 0.65€ per litre, and 23% VAT
      Which means that net price at gas station is 0.75 €
      (0.75 + 0.65)x 0.23 % =1.72 €

      and we pay tax over tax...

      Delete
  4. Ouch, those petrol prices would hurt the pocket book.

    I always wonder when prices of goods are that high in other countries, do the wages compensate? Are wages higher because the goods are higher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wage compensation? You wish... Wages in Germany are somewhat nominal the same, e.g. if you make 50k USD over here as a manager, you would make about 50k EUR in the same occupation. But as cost of goods are more expensive too, the Europeans are only "richer" when traveling e.g. to the US or Canada. The buying power of the EUR in Europe is very much the same than the buying power of the USD or CAD in North America.

      Delete
    2. Well not exactly that much relief travelling in Canada, or Ontario at least as gas prices hit $1.34 per litre here this week (down from $1.36 litre last week). Much of ours is tax, but who can explain why the price skyrockets every Tuesday afternoon only to gradually fall to a price just higher than it started at by the next Monday night and then sky rockets again Tuesday. (Last week we went from $1.18 to $1.36 overnight - Tuesday!)

      Delete
  5. Sonja:

    it appears that fuel/petrol is nominally the same as in Canada as it was $1.449 Cdn /ltr the other day. This morning it was $1.40/ltr (= $5.30 /US gal). What you said is the reason we can't afford to go to Europe, at least you have relatives that you could barge in on, unless your relatives are our relatives too.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, we are getting screwed as well in Canada, although we have the resources at our doorsteps. That's why the lucky onces living close to the US fuel up South of the border...

      After borrowing several cars and returning them when empty our relatives told us to get lost. I am afraid due to this obvious misunderstanding barging in on is no longer an option...

      Delete
    2. Sonja:

      I'm not understanding something ! If I were to ever borrow anything, it would be returned "FULL" , even if it weren't full when we got it. Many times we also leave $$ to be found after we had left, to "help" with extra expenses they didn't count on

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    3. Bob, this was purely ironic. We would never exploit our hosts. Why do you think I have pictures of the fuel stations... it was when we got the shocks of our lifetime, a refill was costing us a 100 EUR (and it wasn't a huge vehicle...)

      Delete
    4. Sad to hear gas prices are worse in Beautiful British Columbia!

      Delete
  6. Holy Hannah thats some expensive fuel! Sonja I have enjoyed looking at your pictures this past month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dar, I very much like following you last month as well.

      Delete
  7. I tell myself that rising gas prices encourages production of electric cars and motorcycles. Unfortunately, they are still priced beyond my budget so I do my best to reduce my consumption and ride my motorcycle as much as possible. And don't think I haven't been searching Craigslist for scooters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good approach just to think about reduction of consumption and use alternative transportation (of course I am talking two-wheelers). I don't use the car very often but there are still certain times when it is needed.
      At least we are a two-person-one-car household.

      Delete
  8. A great ending to a month of photos. Thank you for posting.

    I guess if I ever make it to Germany, I should plan on bringing the bicycle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Richard, a bicycle is not the worst option, and the public transit system is fantastic, and well developed all over Europe.

      Delete
  9. Sonaja - Well done. I've enjoyed the photo trip to Germany, it brought back memories from many years ago. Glad I wasn't paying for the petrol though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on #29! I still have one more to finish up. Enjoyed the travel photos, the gas prices...not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's just no way! No way I could handle those prices.....

    ReplyDelete