Pages

June 03, 2012

And the Winner is...

Actually we have several winners:
1. A 2011 Suzuki Burgman AN 400 ABS, which found a new loving home. The spousal unit named it 'Whitey Weissman', after a character from The Naked Gun. In the German dubbed version the African American witness in the middle of the picture goes by that name. This wordplay is obviously not found in the original version.
2. The spousal unit, who got himself a two-wheeled upgrade with potential touring capabilities. Meanwhile our parking lot gets a little crammed (I am waiting for the day that we receive notice on violation of several parking bylaws...).
3. Me! I got a new riding buddy for real road trips. We took the Burgy out on its maiden voyage the same evening. Roland is absolutely comfy with the riding position and handling, the only shortcoming being the wind buffeting caused by the current windshield.
The Burgman was babied by the previous owner and is in shipshape. The bike has about 5,600km on the clock, and came with backrest, heated grips, hand guards and power outlet. It has lots of storage (62 L) under the seat. If you shout in the hole you might actually get an echo.
The Sportster's cruising style goes perfectly well with the Maxi scooter. We will definitely have to plan for some day trips.
A short hail shower didn't bother us at all (well as a matter of fact it didn't bother Roland at all with all the fairing and weather protection...).
What a wonderful day! After one year on a 250cc Vespa, Roland is taking it to the next level. I am so proud of him!


17 comments:

  1. Roland:

    congrats on your new "ride". Looks good. You can probably get a taller windshield for it

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. WRT windshield, I don't know about the Burgman but generally found these:

    http://www.givi.it/Screens--spoilers/AIRFLOW/AF266

    to be working quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Roland!!!

    They're great machines. A slightly bigger one did the Southern Cross round NZ in 5 days ride when I did it and he finished bang on time!

    Nice-looking bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Looking forward to lots more pictures from the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Burgman 400 rider I can tell you that the buffeting does not get any better. If he's tall like me (I'm 1.83 meters tall) then I suggest he get either a Givi or Clearview windshield. I have considered both but sadly don't have the extra cash laying about to do this.

    Other than that the Burgie is a great bike and I'm sure you two will have lots of smiles and miles to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. Congratulations to Roland on his shiny new ride. I am glad he found one that suits him and that you two can go on longer day trips or even overnight trips together on two wheels.

    Looking forward to seeing more pics of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to all the winners. The Bargman looks pretty nice with lots a of protection from the elements. And with all the storage, he may not even have to deal with saddle bags. Next to the Sportster, it looks very large. Not Goldwing large but still large. But from your report, most of the weight isn't up high. The wheels also look like a larger diameter than other scooters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 03, 2012

    Awesome Burgman! I think my hubby would like one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 03, 2012

    Awesome Burgman! My hubby would like one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. welldone, fantastic that you guys can go riding together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic bike. I will always think of Roland on the Vespa GTS however, having followed him for what must have been over 100 kms during our epic Vancouver adventure. Suggest to Roland that he look into a "Laminar Lip". Many people claim to have eliminated buffeting by installing one. I also suffer with buffeting with my mid-height screen and must always wear earplugs. Nice post Sonja!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is Roland cold in the first picture? :)

    Congrats on the Burgman!

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!! Wonderful acquisition to the stable. And yes, that is becoming a very full stable. ;)

    I hope that adventures abound!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a modern version of a sedan chair!

    Congatulations and Gute Reise!

    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the above bikes are looking simply awesome. I especially like the Burgman bike very much as it looks very unique. The Sportster bike is also great. I wish I could ride these bikes once in my life.

      Delete
  15. Wow that parking space looks serious! Gratz !!

    ReplyDelete