Pages

August 06, 2012

Working when others don't

Bob once said: I almost never see you or your vehicle when I come by your place. And here's a reason why:

My employer is a fairly small company but with an international footprint, hence the traditional nine to five work hours don't always work out that well. Sometimes it is 6am in the morning, or 10pm at night for a tele conference. On occasion it also had been on a Sunday as it's already Monday in other parts of the world such as in New Zealand. So I adjust my work hours to the necessities of the business.

Today is a statutory holiday in Canada, and I started working at 7am. There was no traffic, nobody was set out to kill me, the streets were calm. I am sure I have set a new record for my daily commute.

Why am I doing this?

The hubby had to travel abroad for a meeting (as usual his US based employer doesn't take any other than their own holidays into account, thank you very much for screwing up my family life). So, I would have to spend my day off home alone  ;-(

There are always things to do, hence, I offered to work today to take another day off in lieu, when my better half is back in town. Win-win!

Well, Bob, if you have nothing better to do, feel free to come and visit me in the office today.

19 comments:

  1. LOL. I wonder if the challenge will be accepted. Hmmmmm. ;)

    Enjoy you upcoming day off with hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I always look forward to spending time with hubby, as he is on the road quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. I work for a GPS company. We are 24/7 every day of the year. It was interesting to ride home about midnight on New Years eve/day with the fireworks popping all around me...and me be extra careful for drunks both on and off the road. My job is normally for 4 PM to 1 AM...so I can relate to no family life. I also have worked holidays, weekends and been the only one in the office (its' lonely at night). So...hugs and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I am not complaining. Your work schedule is tough. I am not religious so I don't mind working on Christian holidays such as Christmas or Easter, but it is just nice to have time off together with the spouse.

      Delete
  3. Since I'm employed by a university, I get accused of the inverse of this all the time. I.e. How come I'm not working when everyone else is. In fact, I remember it coming up at iMBC2012...

    Enjoy the lack of commuting traffic today. What is the statutory holiday for today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no particular reason for this holiday, except for it being summer and to give the hard working government employees a well deserved break... it's called "Civic Holiday".

      Delete
  4. My boss has a home on Vancouver Island. He often takes off for Canada's Independence day and head's north for the holiday...while we all stay and work.

    Actually this is perfectly fine with all of us. Much more work gets done when he isn't around!

    Good job on rearanging the schedule and may you both have a nice day together when your schedules converge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be an interesting common phenomenon of the workplace: the boss is out and things get done ;-)

      I don't mind being in the office all by myself, so much more productive...

      Delete
  5. Sonja:

    Visiting you on my day off would be too much like going to work, as my office is just around the corner at North Road. I have passed by your office in the morning, after work many times. Your office is usually empty with no cars around.

    Our office is only open on weekdays Mon to Friday, and they are always forcing us to take our vacations as they don't want us to carry them over into a new year.

    I can relate to having you and Roland together on days off.


    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I understand that. For us it is a bad sign, when people are in the office. I usually means that we haven't got enough work to do...

      I have my own key and come and go as I please (as long as I still comply with my 40h workweek...)

      Delete
  6. There's something to be said about having a work schedule that is flexible but I have to admit that I'm perfectly happy that my employer forces me to take time off in the summer. (I used to live to work, I'm am trying very much, in my senior years to learn to work to live, I finally checked my work email today for the first time since July 6.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, when I am on vacation I will be incommunicado (most of the time...). It is hard to lose the habit of checking emails. Good for you that you can switch off completely. I am still working on that.

      Delete
  7. Home working is the way to go so when I do visit an office I'm either greeted like a long lost friend or totally ignored....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby does home office, he loves it. Not sure if that were for me though, you have to be very disciplined and dedicated...

      Delete
    2. ..that's right, but as I work for an exceptionally dysfunctional US corporation do I give a s**t??

      Delete
  8. Bummer that Roland got called away but at least you are able to trade a day off for when he is back in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trade in that's worth it. I rather spend my quality time with the hubby of 13 years than without ;-)

      Delete
  9. During my previous life as an Episcopal Priest I worked all those religious days :-) I think there were some who thought I only worked those days and Sundays. Oh, were that were true. Lots of hours, it was a vocation I was reminded if I happened to comment on the hours. Thankfully, I now have just a job and I love it. I can identify with the comment above, "I used to live to work, I'm am trying very much, in my senior years to learn to work to live." That would be me.

    I'm glad you have a flow that works for you...and such beautiful surroundings to do it in.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  10. Work! Can't really live with it, can't really live without it. Sounds like you're doing a fine balancing act though. The most important thing is having a life partner to share time off with. You've got that angle very well covered. It's truly a blessing.

    All fhe best, d.

    ReplyDelete