A view on the famous city I grew up, and where Aspirin was (re-)invented.
We went on a shopping spree on the boulevard Kö, and discovered that products not made in China still exist.
A coal mining shaft tower in the Ruhrpott, the most densely populated area in Germany.
An E(lectric power)-station for E-scooters. Yes, indeed for scooters only.
During our sojourn in the homeland we were confronted with a highly unusual weather pattern such as temperatures of +15C (59F), strong winds and lots of rain causing flooding.
River Rhine had forgotten where its place was, and flooded the fields and drowned the trees.
At least we were in for a treat and got a rare glimpse of blue sky and a sunset.
Nightlife in a random smalltown... pretty much non existent.
Impressions along the river Saar. Below the beautiful Saar loop, alas hidden in the fog.
Rivers, castles, churches, picturesque towns.
It would have been nice to travel two-wheeled. It was certainly warm enough for it.
The visit was far too short but we got what we came for: A wonderful time with family and friends.
A peek on Greenland on our flight back. The vikings certainly had a good sense of humor when naming this godforsaken icy desert.
And upon return to Canada we are once again getting completely jet-lagged.
Never mind. It's a nice way to start the new year with some traveling.
We were in North Rhine-Westphalia for a few days between Christmas and New Year staying at Kleve, where Mrs N was working. I spent most of the time in Polo indulging myself...
ReplyDeleteLuckily the cold weather started further East.
Happy New Year.
Sounds and looks like a great trip Sonja; I've not been to the Continent, only Britain. Moms side (Steffenhagen) came from there in the 1880's and settled on the farm where we live.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the connecting photos!
I always remember the eighteen months I served with the US Army in Bavaria. Thanks for the reminders.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures. I love the foggy loop in the river and who knows when Greenland will be green again the way things are going these days...
ReplyDeleteGermany is definitely on "the list".
Well, now I know where the missing water from the Mississippi made off to. I guess after all these years of supporting all those barges it decided on a European vacation.
ReplyDeleteI suspect it comes as no surprise, I'm drawn to the sky photo and your glimpse of blue sky.
Thank you,
~Keith
Thanks for sharing another excellent, but short, trip in pictures.
ReplyDeleteThat really is a gorgeous area, what brought you to North America?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of the mother land. Too many favorites to pic just one, but I too am drawn to the blue sky, Greenland pictures and pretty colors in the plane wing pic.
ReplyDeleteDidn't you have snow the last time you went at this time of year? I bet the warmer weather was appreciated.
Beautiful, beautiful place, beautiful photos. Some of the best people I know in WI are from Germany. We seem to get along very well. My mother was of German/Prussian ancestry.
ReplyDeleteWonderful trip! I love the fog shrouded Saar loop. Great character. Would love to be on a canoe floating along it.
ReplyDelete