Pages

October 26, 2013

A Summer Day in Autumn

I have the best hubby of all, you know. When I woke up I found myself drawn to the breakfast table by the smell of fresh coffee, warm rolls and croissants. Roland had already checked the weather forecast which predicted sun and temperatures in the high twenties (indeed we hit 26C - 78.8F today) and suggested that I should go play with my Sportster while he would meanwhile take care of the weekend chores which we usually share, now that we are both working... the dishes, the laundry, the vacuuming, all the works. Really? He didn't have to tell me twice, I was geared up and ready for the road at the speed of light.
It was merely 10AM, and the road south towards Emmendingen was almost empty. After yesterday's training session I felt much more confident negotiating the turns today. It always requires some muscle to force the Sportster into the perfect line but this morning I was relaxed, always in the right gear and speed, and Rover was willing to obey.
The light was perfect. Although the Black Forest autumn colours will never reach the brilliance of the northeastern American / Canadian fall foliage, I was very pleased with what I found.
 A stop with a view, looking south from Landeck.
I decided for a rest stop at Landeck castle. Built in the 13th century the fortification had been the property of several dynasties of sovereigns. Due to every single one of them going bankrupt, all there is left today are ruins of a once proud spur castle.
Today a private foundation takes care of the remains. The castle recently underwent some upgrades for safety reasons. However, there is no entrance fee, and you are allowed to roam around the premises at your own responsibility.
I love ruins more than I like intact castles, partly because the broken walls and caved in roofs make for some pretty motives. I snapped some more pics and continued my journey east, before heading north again.
It is that time of the year when the few motorcyclists left start waving again at everybody on two wheels. I was greeted by Beemer riders, by scooterists and even crotch rocket pilots were raising their hand in acknowledgement.
Most license plates I have seen expire by end of the month, so it will be a long time before I might re-encounter those riders. Rover's insurance however will cover for another month. From December to Februrary the Harley will get mothballed to protect the chrome from salt and gravel. But should the weather and road condition allow for a ride, there will still be Alonzo, my orange Vespa GTS300 Supersport.
After this little road trip I had to fill up again. As there are gas stations plastered along all major roads there will never be a shortage of fuel. Hence I have decided to keep the peanut tank, and not upgrade to the bigger version. Besides, the Sportster looks way prettier with the small tank.
When I arrived back home, the household was spick-and-span, and the coffee table was laid. Did I already mention that I have the bestest hubby of all? Life is good!

A 100km round trip:
Tea time!

***

Kaiserwetter - und das Ende Oktober!
Ich habe den weltbesten Ehegatten der Welt, jawohl. Erst einmal wurde ich mit frischen Brötchen und dampfendem Tee an den Frühstückstisch gelockt, und nach dem Frühstück schlug meine bessere Hälfte vor, dass ich mich angesichts der blendenden Wettervorhersage mit meiner Harley vergnügen gehen sollte, während er den Haushalt schmeißen würde. Einfach so, ohne besonderen Anlass... In Windeseile wurde eine Tour zusammen gehauen, die Motorrad-Pelle angelegt und Rover aus der Garage geholt. Es war zehn Uhr morgens und die Landstraßen waren noch leer, als ich gen Süden Richtung Emmendingen fuhr. Nach der gestrigen Trainingseinheit fielen mir heute die Kurven wesentlich leichter. Die Sportster muss zwar immer wieder in die Schräglage "gezwungen" werden, aber der damit verbundene Kraftakt ist mir inzwischen wieder ins Blut übergegangen. Ich drehte am Gasgriff, 80km/h, 100km/h, 110km/h, upps, so schnell wollte ich dann doch nicht... Schließlich pendelte ich mich bei einer Durchschnittsgeschwindigkeit von 90 km/h ein und ließ Rover souverän durch die Kurven blubbern. Es war ein Genuss, bei Temperaturen um 20 Grad im Herbstlicht auf leeren Straßen herum zu tuckern. Keiner drückte einen von hinten, keiner nervte vorne. Nur das ständige Tock-Tock der herunter fallenden Blätter irritierte leicht. An der Ruine Landeck legte ich eine kleine Pause ein und schaute mir diese im 13ten Jahrhundert erbaute Spornburg an. Nach der langen kulturellen Auszeit in Nordamerika können mich solche alten Gemäuer immer wieder auf's Neue begeistern. Danach tuckerte ich weiter Richtung Waldkirch und dann wieder gen Norden nach Hause zurück. Zum Schluss waren es doch tatsächlich 26 Grad, und das Ende Oktober. Ich kehrte zurück in einen aufgeräumten blitzblanken Haushalt und der Gatte wartete bereits mit einer Kaffeetafel auf. Ist das Leben nicht schön?

14 comments:

  1. Great pics, I liked the last one with the curve vanishing in the distance best, you imparted a feeling of motion with that one. :)

    You and I, are both fortunate in having such good spouses.....

    dom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, I agree we are truly blessed with our better halves.

      Delete
  2. Und wieder einmal Waldkirch. Das nächste mal könntest du bei meinem Vater vorbei fahren und schön von mir grüßen :)

    Sesationelle Fotos übrigens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genau, sag einfach Bescheid, damit er den Tee fertig hat, wenn ich vorbei komme ;-)

      Delete
  3. When I saw the second photo, I was wondering how you captured a photo of yourself riding. Then I enlarged the photo. I like the uphill curve.

    One of the nice things about riding this time of year is that everyone waves. Bus drivers, cabbies, kids waiting for the bus, etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, my photographic skills don't go that far ;-)
      Motorists seem to get friendlier with each other when the season's ending is near, and there are usually only a few hardcore riders left this time of the year.

      Delete
  4. Your husband spoils you so much Sonja, you lucky devil. Great pics, great roads. You are living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chill, you certainly won't hear me complaining. I definitely lucked out on that one. And dreams come true sometimes.

      Delete
  5. An excellent way to spend a weekend (much better than doing housework!!!) Yeah, Roland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Karen. But coming to think of it mostly everything is better than doing housework ;-)

      Delete
  6. I want Roland to come up and give a training session on managing a morning....by the time we get going (admittedly after a delicious breakfast) it's getting dark again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start using an alarm clock on weekends… that's how we do it ;-)

      Delete
  7. I love that story ... and the trip ... nice way and so comfortable ... thanks to your "hubby" (don't know that word - sounds beautiful!) ... great pictures ... well done, Autum-Princess :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby ist das Kosewort für Husband (Ehemann). Love the nick name autumn princess, thanks.

      Delete