Another football night... Just as expected, I had the roads all to myself. No cars, no motorcycles and just a handful of cyclists.
The first miles of the route were defined by finding an open gas station, which can become a bit of a challenge on the country side after 6PM. And I had forgotten to bring along a credit card.
The air was muggy, and the weather guessers had forecasted rain and thunderstorms later the evening, but for now all was good with the world.
I was tempted to follow the track into the forest but since the first drops of rain had found their way onto my visor, and so I opted for paved roads instead.
A mere twenty minutes away from home it started pouring, and I didn't bring along my rain gear. But it wasn't the rain that had me worried. It was the thunder and lightning closing in. However, I reached save haven before the weather 'apocalypse' came to full force.
Black Forest backroad trip:
![]() |
| 85km - not much but quite pleasant |
***
Dann kam der große Regen
Und wieder mal ist Fußballabend. Ich nutzte die Gelegenheit für eine Runde auf menschen- und autoleeren Straßen. Die Luft war schwül und die Wettervorhersage hatte vor Regen und Gewittern gewarnt. Bis jetzt war aber noch alles trocken und ruhig. Der erste Teil der Route war davon geprägt, eine offene Tankstelle zu finden, denn auf den Dörfern, besonders an Fußballabenden, hat ja nichts mehr auf und ich hatte keine Kreditkarte dabei. In Haslach wurde ich aber doch noch fündig. Ich fuhr dann Richtung Wolfach, über Schwapbach und über das Höhendorf Kniebis nach Norden bevor ich wieder südwestlich nach Bad Peterstal abbog und über den Löcherberg wieder heimwärts rollte. Nur wenige Kilometer vor dem Ziel erwischte mich dann doch noch das schlechte Wetter und ich hatte keine Regenklamotten dabei. Der Platzregen war weniger das Problem, aber das Gewitter machte mich schon etwas nervös. Daher war ich froh, dass ich vor dem "Weltuntergang" die Harley wieder sicher in der Garage abgeparkt hatte.

Great idea riding while the game was on. Empty roads are such a pleasure, even with rain looming.
ReplyDeleteDue to the dense population empty roads in Germany are indeed quite the luxury. One better take advantage while it lasts.
DeleteGlad you dodged lightning. I don't worry in the car, but on a bike, I really do. Plus on a Vespa you ride higher than most.
ReplyDeleteYep, I was a little worried, David. I like thunderstorms but only when I am indoors or otherwise safe.
DeleteNice photo of the wind turbine. Around here we get empty roads for the Super Bowl. Just one game. Interest in the World Cup seems to be growing. The coffee place I frequent is always packed whenever there is a game on. But predominantly foreign students.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richard. What's a Super Bowl? (Ah, just kidding)
DeleteYep, riding during the Super Bowl here is fantastic.....you've got the countryside to yourself really. Thanks for the pics.....
ReplyDeleteDom, I use every possibility during sports event because I appreciate the lonely roads. I just make sure to be home before the match is over, because then it's drunk drivers and idiots.
DeleteJa, immer Augen auf zum Wetter hin ... bei Gewitter fahren stelle ich mir extrem gefährlich vor - egal, was mir manch "alter Hase" da erzählt hat!!!
ReplyDeleteIch habe vorher den Wetterbericht gecheckt und auch eine Wetter App auf dem Smartphone, mit dem Regen habe ich ja auch gerechnet, aber das Gewitter war nicht "geplant". Wäre es schneller heran gezogen, hätte ich bei einem der vielen Gast- oder Bauernhöfe sicher Unterstand gefunden.
DeleteLike those before me, all I could think of in comparison was the Super Bowl. 'Seems obvious......we need more SB's and they should occur right around the solstice! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat ride, a little rain those last few miles to get home isn't all bad and glad that you could save the heavier weather "for another time".
Coop, there you say something. The world needs more important sports events to give riders the opportunity for solitude ;-)
Delete