Pages

July 26, 2014

A Guest Ride with a HOG Chapter


Thanks to this forum I recently made acquaintance with the president of a local independent HOG Chapter and received an invitation to join them on a ride to a culinary event in Böblingen (about 140km away from where I live). We met in Schramberg, the chapter's base, where I found two of the guys still tinkering around with the battery of one of the bikes. Obviously the proverb is still true that if you own a Harley, you have to some extent be a grease-monkey. The motorcycle's problems were fixed quickly, and after introductions and (mandatory) group ride instructions an assorted group of two-wheelers (there was a KTM and a BMW in the mix) made a beeline to Böblingen.


With the president in lead we meandered along byways. Still new to group riding I was a bit anxious about riding with strangers, but it turned out to be a very pleasant and disciplined ride, where everybody maintained position and considerate safety distance. The sky was covered in dark clouds, and roads were wet at times. In the far we could see the odd lightning but at no time it became a concern for us. We arrived at destination, cleaved our way through the crowds to the assigned parking spots for Harleys and dived into the event. There was plenty of ethnic food selections from all over the world (also Sushi!!!), and I was happy with my greens on pomegranate vinaigrette.



The sun went down way too soon and we gathered to hit the road again. The light faded quickly, so we opted for the highway. It was a pleasure to blast along the Autobahn (Ok, the bikes weren't going faster than 120 kph to maintain consistency of the group.). Back in Schramberg we said our goodbyes. I donned my hi-viz vest to ride home another 40km in the pitch-black of night. It was a great outing with great people, and bonus, I got some more experience and confidence in group riding. I am looking forward to getting together with them another time, and maybe I will be given the opportunity to join their chapter. 


A 280km roundtrip 

***

Mit "Rockern" unterwegs

Im Harley Forum stieß ich kürzlich auf einen Eintrag eines lokalen HOG Chapters. Auf meine Anfrage hin erhielt ich eine Einladung zu einem Ausritt zu einem kulinarischen Event in Böblingen "Schlemmen am See", etwa 140km von mir entfernt. Ich traf pünktlich am vereinbaren Treffpunkt an, wo zwei Jungs noch an der Batterie einer Harley fummelten. Es stimmt wohl doch, dass Besitzer dieser Marke auch Schrauber sein sollten... Nach kurzer Vorstellung und Einweisung zum Fahren in der Gruppe ging es über Nebenstraßen nach Böblingen. Als relativer Neuling zu größeren Gruppenfahrten war ich etwas nervös, aber die sichere und disziplinierte Fahrweise der Mitfahrer hat mich schnell beruhigt. Als wir am Zielort ankamen, bahnten wir uns den Weg durch die Menge, um uns bei den extra reservierten Motorrad-Parkplätzen abzustellen. Der Event wartete mit kulinarischen Genüssen aus aller Welt auf, auch Sushi war dabei. Ich hatte einen hervorragenden Salat mit Granatapfel-Vinaigrette. Viel zu schnell ging die Sonne unter und wir mussten uns auf den Rückweg machen. Diesmal ging es über die Autobahn. Es machte einen Riesenspaß, die Sportster einmal ein wenig auszufahren, auch wenn mit Rücksicht auf den Gruppenzusammenhalt nicht über 120 km/h gefahren wurde. In Schamberg sagten wir schließlich Aufwiedersehen und ich ritt die letzten 40 km durch die pechschwarze Nacht. Es war ein großartiges Ereignis mit tollen Leuten und ich hoffe, dass ich noch einmal die Gelegenheit bekommen werde, mit der Truppe mit zu fahren. Vielleicht darf ich ja sogar auf eine Mitgliedschaft hoffen...

13 comments:

  1. Sonja, there was a large Hog Rally here in Kingston this weekend as well ... looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I have read your blog posting about the event. It was completely different at the event in Böblingen (aren't we German after all). Very friendly and disciplined. Skin actually covered with gear (at least armoured jackets, boots and gloves), and as for helmets... it's the law anyway.

      Delete
  2. Never been a big fan of riding in large groups.....too many variables, too little training in some riders, too little experience in others....glad you had a good time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Dom. But I am getting a feel for handling a motorcycle in a group ride (no larger than maybe 20 bikes or so). I have had some bad experiences before, so it is a bit of me being once bitten, twice shy.

      Delete
  3. Eine Mitgliedschaft wäre ja cool. Wovon hängt das ab?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, wie alle auf HOG (Harley Owner Group) Prinzipien basierende Chapters gibt es einige Grundregeln, um Mitglied zu werden. Du fährst ein Harley-Davidson oder Buell Motorrad, bist HOG Mitglied, und bekommst eine Probezeit als Gast-Mitglied (Prospect). Der Vorstand entscheidet dann über Deine "Performance" und ob Du als Voll-Mitglied aufgenommen wird. Es geht dabei auch um ethische Prinzipien wie z. Bsp. Hilfsbereitschaft, Freundschaft, Respekt und Ehrlichkeit. Dieser Club stellt auch Gleichheit in den Vordergrund, also dürfen auch Frauen (oder andere sonst oft diskriminierte Minderheiten) Mitglieder werden.

      Delete
    2. Ach ja, auch wichtig ist natürlich, dass Du an den Meetings und möglichst vielen der angebotenen Event-Ausritte mitmachst.

      Delete
  4. A food ride sounds like a great way to get into group riding. I am glad you enjoyed it and they treated you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with people who love good food, can you? They also respected my non-meat approach sans comment.

      Delete
  5. A naturists HOG chapter would not occur in the UK for various reasons! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds odd indeed, but showing lots of skin on a Harley seems to come with the brand at various places. I can only imagine why it wouldn't be that way in the UK ;-)

      Delete
  6. Sonja, rallys aren't my thing. I will participate in a group ride, but won't look for opportunities.

    I have been toying with the idea of a Vespa flashmob thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat time with nice folks! Glad you made the connection.



    ReplyDelete