One serious sign of a neglected two-wheeler is low tire pressure. Hence, the spouse, who had lately spent his workdays in Frankfurt, had to make a little detour to the petrol station first, and pump up the tires of his bicycle. Thanks to a newly procured valve adapter it was a matter of a few minutes, and we and the bicycles were ready to roll.
If it weren't for the bare trees, nobody would guess that it's November, and Christmas is closing in. Temperatures were forecasted to climb as high as 24°C (75°F).
Usually we build in a little challenge into our wee cycling trips, however I wasn't at my best, and couldn't manage the steep slope this time. At one point I had to give up, feeling dizzy and unwell, and we decided to turn around to find easier terrain.
We don't get a lot of variety in the fall foliage, not like New England or North Western Canada. Here it's yellow, brown and some leftover green mostly, pretty all the same but nothing to write home about for the so inclined leaf peepers, except for this tree.
We certainly made best use of catching the last warming sun rays of the day, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Now that days are getting shorter (I do not have any appreciation for end of the daylight saving time, for me it could always be 'summertime'), we will be running out of opportunities for afternoon rides and warm(ish) weather. But bicycle season is far from over. I am a bit curious about how my fat tire Townie might handle snow.
***
Fahrradfahren im November
Ein vernachlässigtes Fahrrad macht sich meist durch platte Reifen bemerkbar. Daher musste der unter der Woche in Frankfurt weilende Gatte erstmal zur Tanke, um dieselbigen aufzupumpen. Dank neu erworbenem Adapterventil war das aber schnell erledigt.
Wenn die Bäume nicht schon kahl wären, könnte man meinen, wir wären noch mitten im Spätsommer, Sonne, blauer Himmel und Temperaturen bis 24°C.
Also machten wir uns auf und wie immer, nahmen wir auch ein Stück schwierige Strecke unter die Räder. Allerdings war ich nicht so gut in Form, es war mir zu steil, die Kondition ließ schnell nach und mir wurde schwummerig. Also gab ich auf und wir nahmen einen einfacheren Weg.
Leider haben wir nicht so einen "Indianer-Sommer", wie man ihn von der Ostküste Nordamerikas kennt, die meisten Blätter werden braun oder gelb, aber dieses eine Mal entdeckten wir auch etwas Rotes. Wir machten das Beste aus diesem Tag, nahmen diese letzten warmen Sonnenstrahlen mit. Mit der Winterzeit werden die Tage kürzer (Ich mag diese Zeitumstellung gar nicht.), und Nachmittagstouren können wir uns erst einmal abschminken, auch weil es bald empfindlich kalt werden wird. Aber ich bin ein wenig neugierig, wie sich mein dick-reifiges Townie im Schnee machen wird.
You are lucky with the blue sky - here in Wiesbaden clammy cold miserable fog or at best low cloud!
ReplyDeleteCalm down, Nikos. The weather has changed to exactly this since.
DeleteThat's quite the stack of firewood in the first photo? Someone did a lot of work!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful skies in your photos and a nice self portrait.
Richard, this is likely firewood for sale, it pays a good buck around here.
DeleteGee, what's going on over there with those temperatures?! Snow, cold, darkness- all aimed this way. But I'm happy to be working indoors under bright sparkling lights when it gets like this.
ReplyDeleteThose fat Arctic tires never really went away this summer around here. They are quite popular and I expect to see more people riding them when snow falls. Have you tried them?
Martha, mine are fat tires but they haven't got the arctic profile. I will have to try mine first in the snow before switching to different tires. Or maybe I am going to get another bicycle for the winter, if budget allows.
DeleteAn incredible November day ... too bad though you were not feeling 100% That happened to me on my last ride of the season: I did it but was happier when I landed home for a nap afterward.
ReplyDeleteKaren, I did exactly that after, getting home and having a nap after.
DeleteNun, ich bin vor allen Dingen gespannt, wann du dich auf Langlauf-Ski begibst :-)
ReplyDeleteWenn denn endlich mal genügend Schnee dafür da wäre... letztes Jahr gab es ja so gut wie keinen. Allerdings bin ich mehr für's Schneeschuhlaufen.
DeleteSuch a sunny warm day for November. So glad you could get out on the bicycles and enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Brandy, we enjoyed it, well most of the time, except for that darn hill...
DeleteLooks like a very nice Fall outing for you both!
ReplyDeleteIt was indeed, Dom. And it was good, we did it because weather has changed dramatically since.
DeleteGorgeous weather and beautiful photos! With regards to the steep hill, if it looks steep in a photograph then it's really steep! My lungs would be dying.
ReplyDeleteKari, my lungs were almost bursting, and I thought that I had build up good shape over summer. However, I came down with the flu a couple of days later, so that's likely the culprit of me having been unfit that day.
Delete