Pages

May 01, 2015

Whitey's Doppelganger

Roland: Back in Canada I used to own a pearl white Suzuki Burgman 400 to be able to accompany Sonja on her Harley travels. The bike's name was Whitey Weismann. We did a few beautiful and very memorable rides together (as far as Eastern Oregon to the IMBC 2012), and I always enjoyed the fact that the Burgman was of a not too scary size to a freshman rider. And despite it's relatively small engine displacement of 400cc Whitey and I did not have any issues following much larger cc bikes through the Oregon hinterland. Alas, when moving back to Germany, the bike had to stay in Canada due to lack of space in the overseas container, but we were able to find it a nice new home.

Whitey I - (Not) Lost in Oregon
Whitey I - With Bella at Duffey Lake, BC
Whitey I - Somewhere in Washington

Enough of reminiscence, back to the now: From time to time I go browsing a popular German car and bike website in search of a scooter for longer road trips. We had the occasional look at some bikes, but so far nothing had tempted me to buy. So, imagine my surprise when I found an exact copy of Whitey with only 2,000 km on the clock! And bonus: Instead of having to drive for hours, this one wasn't even a mile up the road. Seriously! Who was I to ignore the obvious signs. I had to see this, called up the seller, and arranged to meet Whitey II an hour later.


No surprise here - I felt at home right away. The cost was significant though, and some negotiation was needed to bring down the price tag, which was still higher than back when I bought Whitey I in Canada. Ah, what the heck. You only live once.

Anyway, the contract is signed now, and next week I will have to jump through the usual bureaucratic hoops to get insurance, license plate, and paperwork done, and then new endeavours will await.

Whitey II

***

Whitey's Doppelgänger
Roland: In Kanada fuhr ich eine weiße Suzuki Burgman 400, damit ich Sonja einigermaßen standesgemäß auf Ihren Reisen durch BC, Washington und Oregon begleiten konnte. Der Name des Rollers war: Whitey Weismann, Kennern der 'Nackten Kanone' sagt dieser Name vielleicht etwas. (Im Übrigen gibt es diesen Gag so nicht in der Originalfassung...)
Ich hatte besonders das kompakte Format dieser Burgman schätzen gelernt, und als Anfänger waren mir die 400cc mehr als genug. Jedenfalls konnte ich mit den Blogger-Freunden, mit denen wir in Oregon zur IMBC2012 (International Moto Blogger Convention) verabredet waren, ohne Probleme mithalten. Als wir nach Deutschland zurück kehrten, war leider kein Platz mehr für Whitey im Container und so musste der Roller leider in Kanada bleiben. Er hat aber ein gutes neues Herrchen gefunden.
Nun habe ich immer mal wieder bei mobile.de nach Gebrauchtrollern Ausschau gehalten, und mir auch einige Modelle angeschaut, aber so richtig klick gemacht hatte es noch nicht, bis ich am vergangenen Sonntag die exakte Kopie von Whitey fand. Und nicht nur das, das Mopped stand auch noch ganz hier in der Nähe, 500m weiter die Straße 'rauf. Das war ein Zeichen! Dieses Teil musste ich mir ansehen. Also kontaktierte ich den Eigentümer und konnte Whitey II eine Stunde später kennen lernen. Ich fühlte mich auf der Maschine gleich heimisch und drehte direkt mal eine kleine Runde um's Dorf. Allerdings war die Burgman nicht gerade preiswert und selbst nach einiger Nachverhandlung war das Bike immer noch teurer als damals in Kanada. Aber man lebt nur einmal, oder? Letztendlich wurde man sich einig und der Vertrag unterschrieben. Jetzt muss ich nur noch den Behörden-Dreikampf überstehen, dann kann es neuen Abenteuern entgegen gehen.

24 comments:

  1. Roland, a white knight with a white steed! Very fitting.

    I'm looking forward to the adventures to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well white knight I don't know, but white steed for sure! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Roland! Having googled "Whitey Weismann" it points me to this blog so I am none the wiser as to the derivation of the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you klick on the link in the German translation above you will get a youtube movie with that little scene from the GERMAN version of Naked Gun where the witnesses are asked to provide their name, and a black guy says "Whitey Weismann". This joke does NOT exist in the original version.
      I know what you will be saying next: would that not mean that the Burgman should be black? But when thinking about a name for the Burgman this scene just did not leave my mind any more, so I stuck with it.

      Delete
  3. What is it about the Bergman that you like? It looks very comfy, so that might be the biggest reason for choosing that ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like very much that it so not THAT huge (see Burgy 650), and that it is easy to handle. A little disadvantage is the one cylinder. But after testing a few other scooters (some of them with 2 cylinders) I caught myself remembering Whitey fondly. So when I found his twin brother just a mile from home I considered that a sign...

      Delete
  4. Just in time for your summer adventures! It is really low mileage. What was the reason for it being sold? Not the previous owners cup of tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health reasons. The previous owner unfortunately cannot ride bikes any more. He might also be selling a Goldwing pretty soon...

      Delete
  5. Awesome! That's excellent, it must feel lime coming home again. Many happy rides on the 'sequel' hope to see lots of great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Also looking forward to it. First adventure will be a ride to South France pretty soon! There should be the odd nice picture involved!

      Delete
    2. I thought only Harleys were allowed on that? Whitey could be the support vehicle....

      Delete
    3. I am not joining the tour, but will go there a few days later for meeting Sonja and riding home with her!

      Delete
    4. Very sensible and a nice opportunity!

      Delete
  6. "Das Gute liegt so nahe... " sagt man doch. Und siehe da - es stimmt. Fein, daß Du wieder einen Whitey gefunden hast! Viel Spaß damit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, das erschien wirklich wie ein Zeichen! Da war dann auch der Preis eher zweitrangig, denn der war ein bisschen höher als ich eigentlich wollte... Trotzdem freu ich mich schon aufs Fahren!

      Delete
  7. I understand the "tug" on the heart for a long, lost scooter love!

    So happy you got your bike back. And it WAS meant to be...right up the road! Wow!

    Have a blast on Whitey II or whatever her/his name will be! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I think I will stick with Whitey Weismann II, sounds like a name full of tradition :-)

      Delete
  8. Very cool. I think it is great that you enjoyed Whitey I enough you found a Whitey II. How convenient it was close by. You and Sonja will have fun on the longer trips too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much has soon as I had made the decision for myself to wait for a nice Burgman 400 to show up It already did show up next door! I am a very happy man! (Obviously for many more reasons, but this is just another one!)

      Delete
  9. I bet it was like slipping on a comfortable old shoe.....sitting on Whitey II....great find, hopefully the paperwork is not too vexing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper stuff should be simple. I already prepared everything via Internet, even booked an appointment. This stuff is easy down south - as opposed to Leverkusen where I am from.

      Delete
  10. Roland - sounds like this was meant to be. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I thought when I found it! Now I am looking forward to some touring with Sonja and Rover!

      Delete