Pages

June 08, 2015

Heading for the Hills

Sunday morning around 7 a.m. with birds in full communication mode, and church bells terrorising the neighbourhood, my peaceful sleep was gone. A bit grumpy at first I checked the weather forecast (not too hot, no thunderstorms yet), then jumped out of bed to get ready for the day.


I decided on a whim that I would take Alonzo, my trusty Vespa, into hills to play a bit off road before heading to one of my favourite breakfast stops. Over the travels with my Harley, and my cycling and hiking activities as of late, I had almost forgotten how much fun venturing out on the Vespa could be.

Alonzo, not good at playing hide&seek

Those roads would be narrow, with potholes and stretches of gravel, but the scooter would manage (not so sure about the Sporty...). 

It's steeper than it looks.
Flower picking
Are you looking at me?

A few hikers and cyclists were up early, too, and gave me a friendly wave when I passed them. The air was clear, the people were nice... the early morning is a different universe, indeed. All was right with the world.


I was the first biker - ok, scooterist - arriving at the bakery/cafe, and ordered a mug of rooibos tea and two spelt croissants (the hell with gluten!).


Soon after, other early riders arrived, maybe inspired by my Vespa sitting in the parking lot, said their good mornings and stayed for breakfast, too. We had a nice little chat.


Half an hour later I was on my way, continuing my loop. Meanwhile more and more riders (alas, all male...) crossed my path.


Too much traffic for my taste, and I was glad when I got home around noon, but not before giving Alonzo a bit of a cleanup at our car wash. He certainly deserved it!

***

Der Berg ähm, Hügel ruft!
Sonntag morgen kurz vor 7 wurde ich vom Gezwitscher der Vögel, sowie dem Terror der verdammten Kirchenglocken wach. An Wiedereinschlafen war nicht zu denken. Schlecht gelaunt checkte ich die Wettervorhersage (nicht zu heiß und noch keine Gewitter im Anzug) und sprang dann voller Elan aus dem Bett und machte mich für den Tag fertig. Ich wollte mit Alonzo, meinem getreuen Vespa-Roller, in den Hügeln spielen gehen. Die Straßen würden eng und voller Schlaglöcher und Schotter sein. Das traute ich meiner Sporty eher weniger zu. Die Vespa aber würde das schon hinkriegen. Über meinen Reisen mit der Harley und meinen letzlichen Wander- und Fahrradaktivitäten hatte ich schon fast vergessen, wie schön das Herum"gurken" auf dem Roller sein kann. Ein paar frühe Wanderer und Radfahrer winkten freundlich, als ich an ihnen vorbei schoss. Die Luft war klar, die Menschen gut gelaunt, der frühe Morgen ist in der Tat ein Parallel-Universum. Morgens um sieben ist die Welt tatsächlich noch in Ordnung. 
An der Bäckerei mit Cafe war ich der erste Biker (ok, Roller-Fahrerin), doch kurz nach dem ich mein Frühstück vor mir hatte, es gab Dinkel-Croissants (sch... auf Gluten) und Rotbusch-Tee, kamen noch weitere Zweiradfahrer, vielleicht inspiriert durch meine Vespa, an. Wir quatschten kurz und eine halbe Stunde später machte ich mich wieder auf den Weg. Es wurde immer voller auf den Straßen... fast nur Motorradfahrer (aber leider keine Damen...). Bevor es mir zuviel wurde, machte ich mich auf den Rückweg, bzw. noch einen kleinen Umweg über die Waschanlage - das hatte sich Alonzo redlich verdient - und war kurz vor mittag wieder zuhause.

24 comments:

  1. Deine Bilder sind, wie immer, klasse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke für die Blumen, aber ich kann das Kompliment eigentlich nur zurück geben ;-)

      Delete
  2. Alonzo looks stunning amidst the lush greenery ... no wonder he doesn't want to hide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like orange goes well with green ;-) and Alonzo's personality doesn't allow 'him' to hide, he's Italian after all.

      Delete
  3. Vespas, especially orange ones, simply are too spirited (and sporty?) to stay hidden for long...

    By the way (please forgive me if you've covered this before or if it's so obvious that it could bite me), what is the back story to the name Alonzo for your Vespa? If it must remain confidential, so be it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ry, any fan of the British TV show Dr Who would know...
      Please find the topic of the orange Vespa's christening covered here:
      http://magersineurope.blogspot.de/2013/05/allons-y-alonzo.html

      Delete
  4. Spelt croissants, that's something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, very tasty but still gluten content, so I had to pay for it later... (not meaning the money exchange in order to buy these)

      Delete
  5. Bei meiner letzten Tour am Sonntag beneidete ich das erste Mal die Rollerfahrer. Niemand "zwingt" sie zum schnellen Fahren - ihr Maximaltempo wird geduldet. Ihre Reisegeschwindigkeit ist entspannend. Ich glaube, ich fahre jetzt auch wieder morgens um 6 Uhr meine Runden. Da ist es nämlich wirklich noch entspannend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heike, deswegen fahre ich im Sommer lieber Roller. Oftmals werde ich sogar gesittet überholt...
      Aber die frühen Morgenstunden sind mir einfach am liebsten zum gemütlichen Fahren.

      Delete
  6. Wie hübsch du Alonzo wieder in Szene gesetzt hast :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Funny. Er ist aber auch sehr photogen in seiner orangen Farbe.

      Delete
  7. But spelt has gluten...

    You just might fall in love with this place enough to stay. From this location it seems you can go anywhere and do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of that and I got punished for it. Still it was an eclectic taste, and worth the pain after...
      Martha, you know sometimes a location fits, and sometimes it simply doesn't click. Don't get me wrong, I like it here, but it doesn't feel like homey.

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful morning pictures.

    Love the hide and seek picture and the alpaca/llama (I can never remember the difference)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandy. I believe this was an alpaca because it was fairly small.

      Delete
  9. I like the first photo best, though the rest were good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the llama pic! I love Alonzo, the orange is so striking, I have to say if I was getting a Vespa I would be looking for an orange one. The croissant looked yummy, sometimes you have to live a bit on the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking at your scooter in those scenery shots makes me think of scooterbob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo Sonja,

    Super Bilder von deinem orangen Italiener. Du hast wirklich ein sehr gutes Auge für Bilder. Da beneide ich dich drum. Schotterwege sehen auf Bilder immer sehr harmlos aus. ;-)

    Gruss aus R,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is at least twice you have cleaned one of you bikes. Are you getting into the habit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an accident... I swear. It will not happen again.

      Delete
  14. What a fun little adventure. My bike hasn't been washed in a couple of years. I keep thinking it may be time...

    ReplyDelete