Pages

August 23, 2015

Making a List and checking it twice (updated: nun auch auf Deutsch) - post Road trip

(Für die deutsche Version bitte nach unten scrollen.)

Going on an epic road trip requires gear, and lots of various things and gadgets. I won't be going camping, otherwise I'd be in serious trouble storage-wise.

So, here's my personal packing list for there journey. What's missing? What should I really bring along, and what's better left behind? Suggestions are very welcome. Thank you, David for your suggestions and support.

Gear
Full face helmet
Armoured jacket
Armoured pants
Boots (Hiking boots, instead of riding boots)
2 pairs of gloves
Glove liners
2 Buffs
Beanie
Rain jacket
Heated vest


Tools & More
Air compressor w/gauge (D)
Chain lube (D)
MSR Fuel bottle (D)
Rok straps (D)
Bungee net
Disk lock
Cable lock set
Micro fibre rag
METRIC Tool bag Cruz tools
1l Oil 10W-40
(most of the stuff I borrowed from David, thank you.)


Electronics (packed in dry box)
Camera, extra battery, charger
Selfie stick & tripod
Iphone, charger, waterproof case for RAM mount, ear buds
Laptop, power cable, power adapter
USB plug, USB charger station
Head lamp
SENA Bluetooth set


Documents
Passports
Drivers license
Registration & insurance papers
Purse, credit cards etc.
Spare keys (D)
Maps
Copies of all documents, credit cards etc.

Clothing
5 sets of underwear
1 long john
2 long undershirts
1 LD comfort riding shorts
4 pairs of socks
3 Icebreaker T-shirts
Shirt
Sweat Shirt
Fleece jacket
Windbreaker
Pair of jeans
Pair of convertible pants
Sneakers
Flip flops
Deck shoes
Bathing suit


Personal Stuff
Meds
Cool box, bowl
First aid kit incl. bug spray & sun screen, disinfectant, ointment
Wrist support
Camp towel
Toilettries
Swiss Army knife manicure set
Water bottle
Spork, cutlery
Sun glasses
Ziplock bags
Pen
Notebook
Washing detergent
Sleeping Bag Liner, silk (for dodgy overnight stays)


Food for the road
Gluten free cereal, energy bars, bread or buns
Trail mix
Rice milk
Fruit

It's done!

***

Die Mitnehm-Liste, jetzt auch auf Deutsch
Eine große Reise erfordert eine Menge Zeugs. Gut, dass ich diesmal (noch) nicht campen gehen will, sonst wüsste ich gar nicht, wo ich das alles unterbringen sollte.
Hier ist also meine persönliche Packliste für den Ost-Kanada-Tripp. Fehlt noch was? Ist es zu viel? Ich nehme noch gerne Vorschläge an. David hat mir bei der Zusammenstellung geholfen. Vielen Dank!

Ausrüstung
Helm
Protektorenjacke
Protektorenhose
Wanderschuhe, die auch als Motorradboots dienen
2 Paar Handschuhe
Innenhandschuhe
2 Schlauchhalstücher
Mütze
Regenjacke
Heizweste

Werkzeug u.s.w.
Luftpumpe/Mini-Kompressor incl. Messgerät (D)
Kettenspray (D)
Benzinflasche (D)
Befestigungsriemen (D)
Elastisches Netz
Bremsscheibenschloss
Kabelschloss
Putzlappen
Werkzeugrolle Cruztools (metrisch)
1l Öl 10W-40

Elektronisches u.s.w. (in wasserdichter Box)
Kamera, Batterien und Aufladegerät
Selfie stick & Tripod
Iphone, Aufladekabel, wasserdichte Hülle und RAM Befestigung, Ohrenstöpsel
Laptop, Ladekabel
USB Stecker, USB Aufladestation
Stirnlampe
SENA Bluetooth set für die Kommunikation mit dem iPhone

Dokumente
Reisepass
Führerschein
Fahrzeug- und Versicherungspapiere
Geldbörse, Kreditkarten etc.
Ersatzschlüssel (D)
Straßenkarten
Kopien aller Papiere und Kreditkarten

Kleidung
5 Sets Unterwäsche
1 lange Unterhose
2 lange Unterhemden
1 Motorrad-Untershorts
4 Paar Socken
3 Icebreaker T-shirts
Pullover
Fleece Jacke
Winddichte Jacke
Jeanshose
Wanderhose
Laufschuhe
Flip flops
Straßenschuhe
Badeanzug

Persönliches
Medikamente
Mini-Kühlbox
Erste-Hilfe-Kasten, Sonnen- und Insektenschutzmittel, Desinfektionsmittel, Salbe
Handgelenkstütze
Camping Handtuch
Kosmetik
Schweizer Messer Manikür-Set
Wasserflasche
Göffel
Sonnenbrille
Wiederverschließbare Beutel
Stift
Notizbuch
Rei in der Tube
Innenschlafsack (für einfache Unterkünfte)

Essen für unterwegs
Gluten freies Müsli, Brot, Energie-Riegel
Reismilch
Studentenfutter
Obst

49 comments:

  1. Think you have covered pretty much all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umbrella (as recommended by Jupiter world traveller Ted Simon)

    Is spork a feminie hygiene product??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, yes: it is a cutlery multi tool, spoon, fork, and knife at once.

      Delete
  3. Other than a good dry-bag for the electronics and a roadside assistance card (CAA) looks like you've got it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, good point, I will have to ask David if he has such for the bike just in case...

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've got anything to add or take away, nothing of substance anyway The only thing missing from my list would be my tiny MP3 player, buds and my Sangean radio. Most people (and even me lately) would get by perfectly well with their Iphone/laptop and streaming but I'm old school when it comes to my radio and music since I don't keep music on my phone. I like my little bright yellow Sangean DT400 a lot....:)

    Can't wait for this epic adventure Sonja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ear buds added, Coop. Thanks. I have music on my phone.

      Delete
  5. What's the fuel bottle for? Emergency gas for the bike or cooking stove?

    I also have a spare visor. Clear w/Pinlock and a mirrored on for the sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that's it. Emergency gas for the bike. I have gotten used to it and used it on some occasions when traveling on my Sporty. The Shadow has a fuel capacity for about 200 to 230 km, but one never knows. Spare visor I have, and the helmet got sun screen built in.

      Delete
  6. Excellent preparation Sonja! I noticed a little bit of Kiwi in there with the Icebreaker shirts - just the best, aren't they? I love merino for both hot and cold weather. Not bulky and you can take a layer off or add one (and you don't smell wearing one for several days). But there again, it's only guys that smell eh? Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff, a Kiwi had recommended the Icebreaker shirts, and I bought a bunch last time when down under. They are still in good shape. I have to go back an buy more, I guess.

      Delete
  7. If I were you, Sonja, I would totally be having a heck of a time sleeping right now, out of sheer excitement for your upcoming adventure.

    (I have the same fuel questions as Richard.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ry, I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about the whole thing, and yes sleeplessness is a side effect of the anxiety but I am sure I'll sleep like a baby once I am on the road.

      Delete
  8. Das sieht nach etwas mehr als einer Ortliebrolle und einem Tankrucksack aus...
    Ich bin sooo gespannt, was Du vom Einsatz der ganzen Dinge dann später berichten wirst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eine Ortliebrolle plus Tankrucksack für vier Wochen on the road? Das nenne ich eine Herausforderung, Minya. Meine Sachen müssen in die beiden Satteltaschen und die "Schrankwand" passen, die am Bike sind. Was nicht passt, kommt nicht mit...

      Delete
    2. *lach* Für vier Wochen wäre das reichlich sportlich! Zwei gehen erwiesenermaßen gut mit der Kombi. Allerdings nicht ganz so weit weg von zu Hause.
      Ich stelle mir das als besondere Herausforderung vor, für Gepäckstücke zu packen, die man noch gar nicht kennt.

      Delete
    3. Ich sag' nur: Rei in der Tube... Was zwei Wochen funktioniert, gilt dann auch für vier... ;-)

      Delete
  9. That is quite a list, but I have nothing to add. We haven't really done enough overnighting on the bike for me to have a list to refer to. When do you leave for the adventure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandy. I have done some touring but I have never been on the road that long...

      Delete
  10. You might think of something like this: http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-backpack-bag-protector.html. I have one and use it to lock up jackets, helmets, etc. when walking about in town or whatever. You could also wrap it around your packs on the bike providing extra security when out of sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have only used a cable lock. This one looks interesting. I am going to look it up.

      Delete
  11. Pretty good list. Martha and I tried the quick-dry underwear option during the recent European Sojourn and they worked out pretty good. By the middle to end of trip, I could have gotten by with 80% less than what I packed.

    Really think you'll need a heated vest? I don't know the area, so am curious.
    Hat against the sun?

    Are "trainers" same thing as good walking shoes?

    this confused me: Tire repair set (Shadow tires aren't tubeless.) and you crossed out repair set...so the Shadow uses tubes? And if so, why not carry a puncture kit? Or is that where AAA option comes in?

    Suggest copies of all documentation, stored online for easy retrieval. Not to mention, easy cancellation of credit cards if lost/stolen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dom. Mine is quick-dry stuff, and I have made good experiences as well. It can get coldish in the mornings and evenings in September. I'll leave the heated vest as an option depending on storage. I use a Buff to protect me from sun and adverse weather conditions.

      Trainers = Sneakers, actually the shoes are trail runners, so a bit better than walking shoes.

      Dom, I have fixed a tubeless tire, that I can do, but I am useless with regards to repairing a tube tire. Hence, road side assistance in one way or the other will be required...

      Thanks, for all these excellent remarks. Copies are a good idea, too.

      Delete
    2. Oh Sonja ... do not leave the heated vest behind! When the bone chilling fog rolls in from the Gulf, the Atlantic or the Bay you will want it, believe me. I've been there many a time and have been so happy even in the midst of summer to have my heated vest. Merino wool is an excellent choice as an undergarment but there's nothing that can warm your heart and your body in a cold fog as a heated vest.

      Delete
  12. I think you have it covered. Im looking forward to the virtual ride-along and potential meet-up, though I have no clue where you'll be. LOL.

    If in Virginia, free overnight in Warrenton. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, not this time... I won't be in your neck of the woods but one day I might be. Thank you for the offer. Appreciated and accepted.

      Delete
  13. Tire repair set? For tubed tyres you would need the ability to remove wheels ,tyre levers, patches and maybe spare inner tubes (useful to have even if you don't intend to remove wheels and tyres yourself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh. Why would I want to do this? Isn't that what mechanics and credit cards are for?

      Delete
  14. Wie gut, dass zu Betty's Ausstattung eine Einbau-Schrankwand gehört ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genau, Funny ;-) Das Ding ist so groß, da kann ich nachts das Mopped drin parken.
      (Öh, ich glaube, ich nehme noch meine Ortlieb Tasche mit, falls mir das Teil wirklich zu groß ist...)

      Delete
  15. You may not know how to use what is in the tool kit, but if you are on the side of the road and someone stops to help, they just may know how to use everything in it and get you on your way again. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, you certainly got a point, thanks for this.

      Delete
  16. Another thought, having the correct size spare tube could simplify replacement if the correct tube wasn't available. Even if you have no plans to replace it yourself. (Another David item).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food for thoughts, Richard, thanks.

      Delete
  17. That's a very good list already. On my 6-weeks trip last fall I was glad to have brought a light down sleeping bag. It packs small and made sleeping comfortable even in hotels with flimsy bedsheets. (And there are many in that part of the world.) ;-) Have you considered any kind of tracking system, such as a Spot Gen3? Hm, and how about sunscreen for any kind of (walking) trips where you are not in your protective gear? Or have I overlooked it?

    Last fall I brought 7 pair of underwear but would have been fine with only five. Long live "Rei in der Tube"! If you really need to, you could also scale down on socks, too. Just based on my experience.

    Can't wait to hear more about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, sunscreen wasn't on my radar... it will be September, and warmth and sun will likely be gone by then, but good idea. I don't think I need a sleeping bag but I am going to pack my silk liner, just in case.
      No tracking system for me, as I am not leaving the road, and will leave bread crumbs in form of sending selfies to family along the trail.

      Delete
  18. You are finally finished, now leave about 1/3 of it behind :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sonja,

    I recommend a Camelback or water bladder/backpack system. I travel cross country often and this works very well to ensure proper hydration. You can fill the bladder with ice every morning at your hotel. That way, you will have cold water all day!
    Have fun! ~ Colleen (Motopippi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen, thanks for visiting. My backpack is actually prepared for a camelbak system or similar. Good idea!

      Delete
  20. Sonja, we'll pick up a couple of tire tubes, and you'll take my tool roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, captain! Thanks, David we'll do that.

      Delete
  21. Very cool! That is impressive packing! I so appreciate those pix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope the list will serve future travels as well.

      Delete
  22. Very comprehensive list. I can't get by without good UV protect lip balm when touring. I want one of those sporks, that's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lip balm is something that a woman always carries, hence the not mentioning ;-)

      Delete
  23. Mini-Kühlschrank? Oder meinst du diese Thermo-Umtasche für die Brotdose?

    Zum Glück hast du die Schrankwand dabei :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich mein die kleine Box von Globetrottel:
      https://www.globetrotter.de/shop/campingaz-freeze-box-small-176175?ref=pTSag1y84

      Delete