Pages

November 08, 2015

Chased by Fog


The previous Sunday afternoon was lovely, the morning fog had gone, and the temperatures had been in the low teens (°C). My pedal powered Townie was that day's weapon of choice.


While riding through the valley it became clear that the fog was never completely gone but lying couching just behind the next hill, getting ready for a new attack.


The air suddenly became humid and cold, the fall colours were fading, and the scenery turned a bit eerie as the white blanket closed in again.

Jurassic encounter

I tried to get away from it but wherever I went, the fog was already there. I was trapped, surrounded by this misty cloak, and getting cold. So, when I came home after a mere twenty km roundtrip I was in serious need of a hot cuppa tea.


***

Vom Nebel gejagt
Nachdem sich vorigen Sonntag der Morgennebel vom Acker gemacht hatte, und die Temperaturen auf angenehme zwölf Grad gestiegen waren, machte ich mich mit meinem Townie Fahrrad auf den Weg. Doch der Nebel war nie ganz verschwunden. Er lag hinter dem nächsten Hügel auf der Lauer und wartete schon auf die nächste Gelegenheit, wieder anzugreifen. Plötzlich wurde die Luft feucht und kalt und der weiße Mantel legte sich wieder über das Tal. Die Farben verblassten und die heitere Herbststimmung änderte sich. Ich versuchte zwar, dem Nebel zu entkommen, aber er kam von allen Seiten. Ich war umzingelt und mir wurde kalt. Also beschloss ich, nach etwa zwanzig Kilometern zurück nach Hause zu radeln, wo eine heiße Tasse Tee auf mich warten würde.

29 comments:

  1. It's hard to escape the cold when fog rolls in.

    But fog makes nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, undoubtedly. The pics turned our quite nicely.

      Delete
  2. Schön.

    Nebel ist immer magisch.

    Ich muss anfangen meinem Fahrrad . Danke für die Erinnerung!

    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das ist wahr, Steve. I wusste gar nicht, dass Du Deutsch sprichst.
      Your German is very good.

      Delete
  3. Fog and fall colors....great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dom. The colours and light were part reason I ventured out on the bicycle (Originally I had planned on being a couch potato.)

      Delete
  4. Loved the pictures. I didn't realise you got quite so bright fall colours there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, the fall colours are still far away from what Eastern Canada or New England has to offer but I am quite satisfied with this year's outcome.

      Delete
  5. Fog or no you have some beautiful sights to see on your ride. Awesome fall colors and the fog always adds an air of mystery even if it is cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad, Brandy. And I love the mystery effect of fog...

      Delete
  6. I'm with the others: Your fog photos are spectacular. I LOVE the colors of the ivy on that barn (is it a barn?). It looks like flames are creeping slowly up its side. Just too cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ry. Now that you say it, the leaves look indeed like flames creeping up the barn. Thanks for the analogy,

      Delete
  7. Awesome views of fall in the fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, it's not like fall foliage in Canada, but autumn has been very nice in our neck of the woods this year.

      Delete
  8. Auch wenn es im Nebel rasch kalt und feucht wird, er hat doch seine malerischen Seiten. Insbesondere, wenn es noch bunte Blätter hat, die dann besonders magisch glänzen und leuchten. Eine schöne Tour, die Du da hingelegt hast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stimmt, Minya. Dieses Jahr ist der Herbst wirklich schön anzusehen, auch und gerade mit dem Nebel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow some nice photos there Sonja!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dich schickt der Himmel! Wie toll Dich zu treffen, von Dir zu lesen, Dich zu entdecken....
    Na gut, vielleicht etwas zu euphorisch für den Anfang. Ich fange noch 'mal an:

    Guten Tag, ich bin Polly. Polly aus Hamburg, Fischkopp sozusagen. Ich bin neu im Business. Also im Blogger-Business und auch erst kurze Zeit auf eigenen Rädern unterwegs. Meine Höhen und Tiefen halte ich in meinem Reisetagebuch fest.

    Über Tom Oggy bin ich auf Deinen Blog gestoßen und ich freue mich, dass es noch mehr Menschen gibt, wie mich. Teetrinkende Bloggerinnen, Genussmenschen, Poesie-Erzähler. Ich werde Dich mal ein Stück des Weges begleiten. Moin, Polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly, vielen Dank für Deinen lieben Eintrag. Da haben wir ja schon eine Menge gemeinsam. Ich springe doch gleich mal auf Deinen Blog 'rüber und lese mich ein...

      Delete
  12. The mention of, and then the picture of the fog made your talk of a warm cup of tea appeal to the senses on multiple levels. And the oranges on your leaves there! Spectacular!

    - Joe at Scootin' da Valley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that true, Joe. My grandma used to say that a cuppa tea is always a good thing for heart, tummy and soul.

      Delete
  13. All of the images are stunning. You did a fabulous job capturing the colors. You know which one is my favorite, right? Jurassic encounter! :-)

    Did you know you'd be seeing a dinosaur, or was it a surprise? I'll bet it was a very peaceful day, traveling under pedal power through the fog, near the stream, etc. I would have been huffing and puffing, though, so would have wrecked the peace of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I thought you might like that ;-) I have seen the dinosaur from afar before from the other side of the river. This time I more or less stumbled over it.
      By the way, who said I wasn't huffing and puffing... that's how I ride ;-)

      Delete
  14. Truly great photographs, fabulous colours - I don't do bicycles at all but I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's not a bicycle... it's a beach cruiser ;-)

      Delete
  15. Hallo Sonja,
    ist bei dir wieder Fiese-Fieze-Zeit. Den Radius weider etwas kleiner halten. Super Bilder. Anders sind wir es auch von dir nicht gewohnt. Der Schwarzwald fehlt mir noch gänzlich. So langsam bekomme ich aber Interesse an ihm.
    Gruss aus R,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, wenn es mir zu anstrengend wird, kann ich ja immer noch auf meinen Roller umsteigen. Falls Du mal den Black Forest auf dem Radar hast... sag Bescheid.

      Delete
  16. Ah, du hast Townie raus geholt. Wie cool. Wenn ich mal bei dir in der Gegend vorbei komme, radeln wir ein Stück, okeeeh!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, jederzeit... solange Du kein Bergaufrennen veranstalten willst ;-) Das kann mein Townie nämlich nicht.

      Delete