Three weeks after placing the order my new anti-claustro brain bucket has finally arrived. The color is silver. It fits right to size (S). The weight is a little higher than anticipated for a 3/4 helmet, but nothing to worry about. The visor adjusts smoothly, and the inbuilt sunshade covers my eyes perfectly. Now I am curious to take it out for a ride in the wind to test the air drag and the noise level under road conditions. Be gone already, Winter!
Meanwhile, my fellow traveler had a blast with my helmet hair. What's so funny about it?
Good looking helmet, I prefer flip-up helmets myself...but bought a similar one to yours for the boys for when they ride in the sidecar.
ReplyDeletenote: in the US Navy, a bubblehead is a submariner....regular sailors are called squids, just like the riders of sportsbikes who exhibit dangerous riding behavior.
@Charlie6: I have tried flip-ups but when I get my claustro-fit it takes me too long to open it up, hence the 3/4 helmet. Thanks for the insight on the Navy, I had no clue that the word actually had such a meaning. Interesting!
ReplyDeleteSonjaM:
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem as you, preferring a 3/4 helmet. I purchased a modular one two years ago and it is still sitting unused on the floor. It feels too claustrophobic for me. It's like looking out of a tunnel. I keep trying them on in the hopes of getting one I like but with glasses, they pinch too much much.
bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin
I wouldn't wear anything without a chin-bar, and to date have only had full-face helmets. I think my next lid will be a flip-up, likely a Shoei Multitec. I read somewhere that a significant portion of head injuries in bike crashes are in the chin area... Don't have a reference for that, though, sorry :-( but the mere thought of that still makes me cringe.
ReplyDeleteDo you really find proper helmets so severe a claustrophobic experience that you can't use them?
@Bobskoot: I can only second that.
ReplyDelete@indigoid: I am aware of the risk that a non-full-face helmet poses in case of a crash. But just imagine having trouble breathing, and feeling close to fainting while wearing a full-face... it is a risk, too. And unfortunately that has happened to me several times while riding.
It feels good to buy a new helmet. There is something very rewarding about spending money on yourself! I agree with you Sonja, I don't like full-faced helmets either. I just bought a new helmet for my tour of the USA - something subtle and understated.
ReplyDelete