Another road with a dead end? No, just waiting for the ferry to Barnston Island, a lovely little island located in the middle of the Fraser River.
The bikes are allowed first on the ferry, and we have a bit of a scare on discovering how slippery the deck is... and it is under dry conditions. The bikes park comfortably close together.
We take the road around the island and stop at the river bank to enjoy the scenery. How considerate of Bob to bring some pops, riding makes thirsty and there are no tourist facilities on the island. Then Bob offers me to take the lead, which I reluctantly accept, and although there is only one road to follow I promptly lose him in my rear view mirror. So, I turn around and spot him stalking some Holsteiner (the black and white) cows. This is not a weird fetish or so I hope. I am sure he will explain it in his blog.
As Bob promised the road ends again at the dock, and we enter the ferry back to the mainland to ride to beautifully restored Fort Langley, the birthplace of BC., and a magnet for motorcyclists of all breeds.
We share a chicken sandwich and yam fries for lunch, and watch people and bikes passing by.
Well rested and fed we ride on westwards to Boundary Bay. Again, Bob takes the lead (he was the one with the GPS anyway), and this time he is testing me on some major roads, and challenges me with some speed maneuvers. Nella reacts well to the pull of the throttle, and keeps up easily with Bob's Wee, but I am obviously not one for speeding. My comfort zone is between 70 and 90 km/h.
Some roads involve short strips of gravel. Nella manages the change of surface pleasantly well, and so do I. The slight skidding is an interesting new feeling for me which I like to explore a bit more. Another time.
At the beach, we enjoy the warm sand and the summer breeze, time passes and soon a great day of riding is over. We part at Queensborough Landing which is halfway between Bob's and my home. Almost 200km and 9 hours later I arrive at my place, tired, a bit saddle sore and happy. Thanks to Bob who had my front, and at times, my back, too.
Finally Bob, fashion advisor and Croc ambassador talks me into this:
I am doomed!
What a great way to collect your new bike and to go on your first ride - with a fellow blogger to guide you on some of the roads in your new surroundings.
ReplyDeleteI am pleased that you finally got your new wheels and can enjoy the summer. I really enjoyed reading both you and Bob's posts about the ride. Shame about the crocs though!
That sounds like a fun trip - but those shoes ... aaaaaaaah! I hope that are not the new fashion safety boot for motorcycling out there in Canada. ;-)
ReplyDeleteOh my, I do like happy endings. And, especially when they are followed by a happy beginning.
ReplyDeleteKeith
SonjaM:
ReplyDeletewhat can I say . . . I think we have started a new fashion trend, but I still think you should have gone for the PINK ones
I'm glad that I had a chance to show you some of the scenery around the Greater Vancouver area, and perhaps the roads less travelled without having to transverse any major highways. It was my intention to gently ease you into higher speeds after familiarity with Nella. As you noticed near the end of the day I was subjecting you to my usual style.
I love yellow bikes and it seems to fit me perfectly.
Welcome to the CROC club
bob
Wet Coast Scootin
oh geez, he got to you with the crocs.....sigh.
ReplyDeletegood first ride report on that GS!
Congratulations on your new bike! Sounds like you'll be a candidate for the all-ladies ADV Riding Camp next year, amiright?
ReplyDeleteCondolences on your new Croc addiction.
An F650GS and a v-strom riding together... beauty and the beast?
Wow, this post has everything! Islands, cows, beach, food, and even crocs. Oh yeah, Bob was with you. Fun ride together and nice shooting agian, Sonja. I really like the pics!
ReplyDeleteThank y'all for your kind comments. As for my (new to me) Croc addiction: It's all Bob's fault.
ReplyDeleteNella is beautiful! I love the bright, yellow color. Very pretty and hi-vis too.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your maiden voyage.You have some nice areas to ride up there. LOL - the holsteins seem to pop up on several blogs. I think the black and white stands out nicely against all this pacific northwest green. They're always photogenic.
Oh yeah! Gotta have the crocs. The perfect finishing touch to go with your cheery, yellow bike. I spotted some ninja green ones over on Bob's post. :)