In higher elevations the snow started sticking around, but we needed a boost of vitamin D, and went out for a hike at Buntzen Lake anyway.
We followed the trail for about an hour until we heard a deep growling coming out of the bush scaring the living daylight out of us. Given our instant primal reaction, we were pretty sure it must have been a bad tempered animal of the furry kind (bear?). Thanks to hubby who kept his cool we resisted however the urge to just start running, but moved back out of the danger zone as quickly as possible.
Nevertheless we enjoyed a wonderful sunny weekend, and also revisited one of my favourite places: Pitt Lake. Not much snow on the ground, but the mountains look like sugar coated.
Empty cranberry fields, surrounded by puddles of melt water.
We were privileged to watch Mr and Mrs Bald Eagle.
Mrs Eagle is a little shy.
With views like this, winter doesn't always suck.
The hiking sounded great, right up until the growling part. I think that would have scared me silly! Glad you kept your head and knees about you.
ReplyDeleteGreat images. Glad you had a good weekend.
-Lori
Just sitting out side having a wine in the sun reading your blog, nice pictures especially of the snow! .......must go need to get the sun block!
ReplyDelete@BeemerGirl: Lory, I was scared, and if it weren't for my hubby I would have done a Speedy Gonzales.
ReplyDelete@Raftnn: ARGH! Thanks, Roger. There are things that are better left untold, especially this time of the year please avoid mentioning anything involving beach, sun or warmth ;-)
Great pictures! What a fantastic place to go for a walk. I suspect the growling sound was Bobscoot's stomach heard from a long way away - we all know he is always hungry! Glad you were ok.
ReplyDeleteSonja don't post such nice pictures. I would like to come NOW!!!
ReplyDeleteLove from germany, Birgitt
i'm sitting here in my training course and waiting for aur teacher.....dumdidum...
ReplyDeleteit's boring...
@Gary: Hello globetrotter, I believe you are correct ;-)
ReplyDelete@Birgitt: Welcome to my blog. Shouldn't you be learning, and not surfing the net... ts ts
Wow, the 3rd and last picture are just beautiful and one more reason I need the adventure bike ;-)
ReplyDeleteTwo places on the West side of Canada are in my bucket list, Jasper and Banff National Parks. On the East it's Labrador and Newfoundland. Yea, I would backtrack too if I heard a roar ;-)
If only our winters were cold and clear! Awesome photos.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos and it sounds like an interesting encounter with the local residents.
ReplyDeleteRichard
@GeorgeF: Thanks so much! You certainly picked some lovely places. I have seen all of it, and can confirm you won't be disappointed.
ReplyDelete@irondad: I have been told that this is rather unusual weather for the west coast.
@RichardM: I am glad that it was just a verbal encounter with the local residents...
Dear Sonja:
ReplyDeleteBobskoot told me the snow was coming. He wasn't kidding. I like the last couple of pictures where it looks like winter in the mountaind and summer on the lake. I hope the frozen stuff is gone the day before your bike is out of the shop.
Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisted Roads
Lovely pictures Sonja, now for some decent weather so you can place Nella in the foreground....
ReplyDeletedom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
@Jack Riepe: Yeah, we had hoped it wouldn't come true but we really have freak weather here
ReplyDelete@Charlie6: As soon as there is no risk of black ice, I will do my very best ;-)
beautiful pics! Especially the eagle...you were so close.
ReplyDeleteI think that you are right. We are having your weather here in Alaska, warm and rainy. Lots of ice and puddles on the roads since all of the storm drains are frozen. A real mess....
ReplyDeleteRichard
@Tom: Thanks for visiting, I am still in awe about the closeness to nature in Canada
ReplyDelete@RichardM: Kindly give me back my warm rain weather so that I can get Nella out of the shop. We have still -8C here.
I was gonna say what a lovely trail to hike, but changed my mind at the deep growling. :)
ReplyDeleteThe mountains are beautiful with a sprinkling of snow.
We got out for a hike ourselves yesterday - the weather is good for that, even if we certainly didn't feel like motorcycling out. Nice photos!
ReplyDeleteBrady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life