Pages

September 01, 2011

A Thousand Splendid Miles

The bike: 2008 Harley Davidson XL883 Sportster, a.k.a. Rover
The mods: Fork mounted front indicators
The upgrades: Sundowner seat, quick-release sissy bar with back rest, detachable windshield
What else: Engine guards added at day of purchase


The verdict:
I wanted a reasonably priced newer two+ cylinder motorcycle, with more power, easy to handle, no chain-drive for a change, and I wanted a bike with a classic look. No doubt about it, I got it all in one package with the Harley Davidson Sportster.

As the smallest member of the HD family the Sporty looks like a small bike, but isn’t. I have never owned a bike bigger than 650cc, so a two cylinder 883cc engine feels like plenty of power to me!

The Sporty falls in the category very affordable, I basically swapped the 2008 model against my 2004 F650GS. Compared to other used bikes of three years or older it seems to keep its value pretty well.

The bike has a nice clean finish, and provides the classic look I was looking for in a two-wheeler. I find it nimble, and easy to maneuver, and well balanced at low speed. The 500 lbs give it a lot of stability in cross winds, and add to the rider’s confidence. It is a good feeling that one cannot be thrown that easily into the next ditch (a fear I always had with the F650GS).

The Sportster is an ideal bike for the vertically challenged of either gender.

The clutch is light and easy for small hands to handle, the gear shifting is precise, and the brakes work like a charm although there is no ABS.

My first encounter with the dealership had been an extraordinary positive experience, and needless to say that you can get a load of farkles for said two-wheeler.

Of course there are a aspects that are a bit of an annoyance:
The peanut tank is part of the signature design, however it will only give you a 150 to 180 km (max. 115 mpg) range.

I like the single seat but the stock seat is way too thin, and not made for longer travel comfort. On rough roads the stock shocks are a bit tough, and the bike has next to zero off road capabilities (but really... I don't want to go there anyway.)

Having said that, would I buy one again? Yes, but rather the Super Low with the bigger tank and the higher bars.

Will I stick with the brand? I have to admit that I am hooked right now… Should Triumph ever improve their dealer network and provide 24/7 roadside assistance in North America ask me again, I might falter.

Do I miss my Beemer? Not really. I got a much newer bike that serves all my needs for the same price. Two cylinders are better than one. And honestly, the F650GS is a functional bike, but doesn't do elegant or classic. What I miss are the heated grips, and being able to go 300km on a tank.

Maybe these days I am becoming a cruiser at heart, and not the long-way-round adventure rider, I thought I was. For now I am truly happy with my choice, and might farkle up Rover a bit before I move on to the next level.

On my wish list: Bigger tank, comfy single seat, luggage rack and luggage, better rear shocks, and pull-back handlebars.

13 comments:

  1. Good stuff, If you are happy and it suits your needs, which it seems to perfectly , then it is perfect. Always nice riding some thing different to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent analysis and thoughts Sonja! Much as I pull the leg of some H-D riders I know, it's only because of the stereotypical "rebel" image they promote. Yours looks gorgeous in black and it sounds like your birthdays and Christmases will be catered for with a heap of farkles. I don't see why a cruiser shouldn't do a few long-way rounds as long as the dirt is smooth!

    Will be very interested in a "revisited" post 12 months hence!

    What's the problem with the dealer network for Triumphs up your way? Must say my limited experience in NZ has been very positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Raftnn: Roger, I guess I was due for a change. Who knows what I will be riding next year... a bigger Harley? A Triumph? Or something different alltogether?

    @Geoff: Hmmm, rebel? That thought must have slipped my mind, but you are right, farkle satisfaction on said days is a given ;-)
    The Triumph dealerships in Canada and in some parts of the US are scarce. Most dealers sell Triumph's as add-ons in their portfolio, but can you trust that they are experts in maintenance and service, that they even have standard spare parts on the shelf? I don't think so.
    At least when I am in trouble with my Sporty I can trust to find a licensed dealer even in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review of the aspects of Rover you like and don't like.

    The range limitation would be the deal breaker for me as well...you'll just have to add a long range sport tourer to the mix next year! ;)

    Just don't go all "piratey" on us..... ;)

    Dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review of your thoughts on Rover. I am glad that you are bonding with it so well even if it has a small tank.

    A small tank just means you can drink more coffee since you will have more stops for petrol..... meaning more restroom breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SonjaM:

    I've thought about an HD but I have never ridden a cruiser style, I prefer standard positioning. I think if I hung around more HD riders such as a certain "you know who from the UK who rode an HD all across the country in 4 months, who shall remain nameless" then I might be persuaded. Actually, when this person was behind me I could hear the loud exhausts and I was thinking how it might feel to be riding his rented HD. Then I woke up . . .

    The killer is the short fuel range. Right now I can go nearly 440 kms in city riding, a bit more on the highway. I would like a larger fuel tank

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice collection of accessories you've added. I definitely prefer the relocated turn signals but I would agree with Dom that the gas tank seems to be the only real limitation. But then again, it's a good reason to stop more frequently.

    Plus, I love the way they sound....

    ReplyDelete
  8. From your wish list, I take it you'll be going for an Electraglide?

    Best wishes from someone who knows nothing about H-Ds but is willing to learn, N

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funnily, earlier today I helped push start a 1200 Sportster. I had been asking the rider some questions about her bike before she tried to start it. Like Nikos, I know next to nothing about H-D's but am willing to learn. I will admit your purchase of your 883 has added to my interest. Anyway, as she went to start her bike there was nothing but clicking. Another deputy and I ended up pushing this bike in 103F weather. I'm happy to report it started. Note to self: Take off the mesh jacket before offering to help push a Harley in hot weather.

    I'm glad to read your assessment of your bike so far. And, I'm happy to read, "For now I am truly happy with my choice."

    I'm looking forward to watching this relationship develop and play out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie6: Aye, matey! What do you mean by going all piratey?

    @Trobairitz: Brandy, you are right, on the bright side... more breaks (restroom or otherwise).

    @bobskoot: Actually the purchase was inspired by "you know who from the UK who rode an HD all across the country in 4 months, who shall remain nameless". I mean, he didn't have any serious bike issues, but if you get in trouble there is always a dealership somewhere or somebody knows somebody how to fix it. Besides, I could never go 440 km on a tank, even if the bike could... you know... restrooms!

    @RichardM: Most of the accessories came with the bike already but the previous owner didn't bother to mount them. I only added the crash bars. And the sound is very sweet indeed, not too loud, but sounding like serious business.

    @Nikos: I am still learning myself, and had to look up the Electraglide to see what you mean... So far that would be too much of a bike for me, but never say never.

    @Circle Blue: I had my bike parked for 2 1/2 weeks and it started on the first push of the starter button. No issues so far but I have heard that it might become an issue. I just try to move the bike around enough in order for the battery to get re-charged. I am curious myself with what two-wheeler I might end up, and be truly happy with (except for my Paolo, this is true and everlasting love.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Sporty. It's hard to compare different bikes, they just do things differently. A heavier bike is nice on freeways and in windy conditions for sure. My Suzuki was great on the freeway and very comfy on long distances. As for the small gas tank, my first bike had a terribly small range and it grew tiresome, so I feel your pain. :)

    I've heard a lot of ladies say that the bigger Harleys are easier to handle than their sportsters, so you may be pleasantly surprised should you ever try the bigger bikes. Frankly I like the look of the sporty better than a lot of the bigger Harleys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice, I asked a question on a previous post, disregard it, I'm reading your post from older to newer :-)
    You made the change from German technology to American classic, glad you enjoying it, it's a lovely little bike, I have tried to convince my wife to get one but she says it's too much money :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. @George F: Hi George, and thank you for stopping by and taking the time for commenting all the previous posts. I found the little Sporty was just what I needed for my kind of riding this year. There was not much touring and I always wanted to check out the myth that is Harley Davidson. So far it has been fun. As for cost... it was way cheaper than my Beemer had cost last year, and it is almost new, barely broken in. I hope the wife will give it a try one day ;-)

    ReplyDelete