Pages

October 31, 2011

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away

The weather is crappy, it rains, clouds hanging low, the world has faded to grey. I do (long overdue) filing. I am reasonably bored. While flicking through the papers in the binder I came across an old invoice dated April 27, 1992.

It was the final bill from the driving school where I took my riding lessons. Motorcycle riding lessons are mandatory to obtain a drivers license in Germany, and don't come cheap. Total cost added up to 1,160.77 Deutschmarks, or in Newspeak 593.49 EUR (832.07 CAD).

It was a one-on-one training, just me and the instructor. My first lessons started out in the parking lot,  understanding basic functions of the motorcycle, learning to work the clutch, stop and go and slow straight riding.

There was one hour exclusively dedicated to stop and go uphills, left, right turns, and u-turns, and I remember that my clutch hand was sore from constant gear shifting to first and second and back.
Also, there were what felt like never ending hours of riding cone slaloms, circles and figure eights, smooth braking and accelerating.

After obtaining the basic skill set I was released into the real world of traffic, riding in front of the instructor who was giving directions over such a bad communication system, that most of his instructions became pure guess work and monitoring his indicator lights in my mirrors became a routine.

I got exposed to riding under different weather conditions (it rained often and a lot, and snowed once), as well as different light conditions from bright shiny daylight to pitch black night.

There was riding in heavy rush-hour traffic in the city as well as relaxed twisting and turning overland. Shooting down the autobahn in high speed and slow meandering along single lanes. All in all about 14 hours of intense mental and practical training, building up riding routines and muscle memory while cursing the instructor, the weather and the heavy clutch pull of the friggin' bike.

My training wheels: Kawasaki Eliminator ZL400.
Putting the invoice back in the binder I can't help but smile at myself upon this memory: I have never ridden a Kawasaki ever again since...

18 comments:

  1. Very nice post. Isn't interesting where the inspiration for a post comes from? I really like this post. A nice little present day snippet of an experience in the not too distant past. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mandatory training sounds pretty thorough. Over how much time is the 14 hours of instruction spread? After I took the MSF BRC class, I felt completely unprepared to ride on the street even though I had my endorsement. We used 125cc Kawasaki Eliminators for the class.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. @David Masse: Indeed, David. And I didn't even know I still had it because usually I don't keep documents longer than necessary, and they get shredded in no longer needed. This one must have escaped my earlier clean ups, and so I decided to keep it.

    @RichardM: The training was through March and April 1992, and my new to me Yamaha Virago 250 was already waiting for pick-up at the dealership. I felt ready for the road but it took indeed a lot more road practice before I would feel really confident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja:
    I've been a huge admirer of the German approach to most forms of training for many years. The idea that the purpose of training is to make you extremely proficient in the subject matter isn't always followed in other western countries and the results show regrettably. This equally applies to riding/driving or something as diverse as training of professional engineers.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Geoff James: Geoff, this rigorous training program might actually contribute to keeping the numbers of accidents down.
    Furthermore it was a gradual license. Over a span of two years there was a probation time in which I was only allowed to ride bikes with 34HP or less, or have a bigger motorcycle throttled down to this level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs Nikos still talks about Deutschmarks too. Only yesterday she was remarking now expensive at 20DM were our cakes and coffee. I don't know how much she paid for here training but she never rode a Suzuki again after it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always though Europeans take things more seriously when it comes to motorcycle and car driver training, and this is a good thing. Here in the states, not so much from what I can tell.

    Pricey though....

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Nikos: I can only imagine what today's cost for a motorcycle endorsement would be... If you have lived with the DM you still go back and compare, even if the Euro is around for over ten years now.

    @Charlie6: Yes, safety comes at a cost but considering the fruit of your training might save your life one day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet that seems so long ago. They really put you through your paces compared to how easy it is down here in Oregon. A two day class and $180 later and ta-da, ready for traffic. Provided you pass of course.

    That Kawasaki looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Trobairitz: Brandy, passing the test was a complete different story. And before that they put 14 mandatory theory lessons, eye examination, first aid course. Finally the driving test is with your driving instructor as well as an official examiner from the DMV.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember comparing auto licensing between Norway and the US. Such a huge difference. Then a friend and I spoke of the 80 hours practice required in China before getting your M/C license compared to 16 hours class/practice time. I must say, I think the longer courses better prepare one sometimes.

    But you got it, and haven't looked back. Right? ;) Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very thorough and rather intimidating class. Here training is basically a 2-day class.

    For myself I felt like I really needed more class time and a slower pace. I'd barely catch on to something and we were moving on, but I'm not a quick learner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @BeemerGirl: You say, the Chinese practice 80 hours? I wonder what they are teaching there... ;-)

    @bluekat: I can tell you it WAS a rather humbling experience, and it hurt at times but for all that counts, I really felt confident to be able to control the motorcycle in real traffic afterwards. And this muscle memory... good stuff, works like a charm even after a two decades with a break of 11 years in between.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So now you should become an instructor. It's time to return the torture, er I mean, favor to upcoming riders!

    Congratulations on completing the training, by the way. Way to conquer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @irondad: Dan, me an instructor? That wouldn't work out well... I am not known as a 'people person' so I rather prefer to stay in constant student mode, and continue learning...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. That is comprehensive training. When I first gotta motorcycle at age 17, all I needed to do was ride a small bike on the roads for a few months with a compulsory 'L' plate on the bike and then take a 30 minute test and that was it. No training needed and it showed - a few stupid crashes followed. Today in the UK things are different. You need to take CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) which ensures you are capable of handling the bike, then a theory test checking your knowledge, then a closed location practical test, then an on-road test. Even then, it doesn't sound as comprehensive of what you experienced for your 1160 DM's

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Gary France: Well Gary, I am glad I had the opportunity for this thorough training. It was well worth it. The CBT sounds pretty much the same.

    Not sure about England but a German Driver's license comes for a lifetime. Once passed, you have it until you decide to hand it back (some elderly might decide to do so) or it is taken away by officials if you have to many points on your record.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sonja::

    I am embarrased to say that I took my "road" test back around 1965 on my first bike, Yamaha 80cc 2-stroke. No formal training in those days, sort of like the current MST. A few figure 8's, acceleration and panic stop on a large parking lot. I've been lucky since

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete