If it weren't for one smart Italian who drafted the Gregorian Calendar in the 15th century, November would still be the ninth month by Roman calculation. Not that it would change a thing in weather though.
The nights bring frost, the mornings are cold and damp and often foggy, and even with the sun shining the temperatures only make it randomly beyond 5C (41F) these days.
With the spousal unit back in town we took one of the last opportunities to ride together this year. Bella didn't get a lot of exercise lately, but she started without hesitation and was eager to get on the road.
The cold temperatures changed the colours of the cranberry shrubs. A lovely contrast in the otherwise bleak harvested fields.
I had my camera resting in the GPS cradle, and wondered what it might look like when I would take a picture out of that perspective while riding. Here's the result:
We rode out to Golden Ears Provincial Park and stopped at Alouette Lake for a stroll. (Alouette is French for lark, but Lark Lake would have sounded less eloquent.)
This time of the year the park is nearly abandoned. Not many people seem to hang out when the season for boating, swimming and other water sports is over.
Occasionally we had deer crossing our path, but that wasn't the only lingering danger in this area, where temperatures could easily drop a few degrees due to altitude and shadowy forests.
Black ice warning signs were all over the place. Besides a pile of wet leaves yet another menace a two-wheeled traveler has to watch out for on the road this time of the year.
It was about 4PM when the sun light faded and we decided to move homewards, with fingers cold, and body craving for a cup of tea in front of the fireplace.
How many days will we have left to scoot around? Soon the trees will have shed their colourful dresses.
And the warning signs for slippery conditions and black ice will have to be taken very seriously.
But until then we will take any opportunity to stretch out the riding season and let it roll.
The more I see you guys on the scooters, the more I think it would be fun to have one in the shed, sigh....
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the Cranberry photo - I never knew how they grew. They only show the berries floating on water in the adverts on tv. Don't think they're commercially grown here. They look really decorative.
@Geoff James: Geoff, scootering is certainly a different way of traveling. You naturally go slower, and hubby likes it very much. I know he feels save on this mode of transportation, and that works for me, too.
ReplyDeleteHarvest is over. This field was still muddy, but already drained.
The Fall colors look wonderful in your photos. I really like the shot of the lake. I've only passed through BC in the middle of the summer. I think I need to spend more time and visit in some of the other seasons.
ReplyDeleteRichard
@RichardM: Thanks, Richard. BC is pretty packed in summer. The fun begins when the tourists and fair weather travelers are gone. Please make sure you visit some time in September or October. It is the best time here.
ReplyDeleteA scooter or two is tempting-I've started looking...
ReplyDeleteSonja: Isn't it interesting that the best time to visit many places seems to be when "out of season". I guess I am just not a crowd person. Like Richard I like the lake photo.
ReplyDeleteBe safe.
@Nikos: Happy shopping!
ReplyDelete@Circle Blue: Keith, same with me. I like it better when it's empty, and I can enjoy by myself (or together with hubby).
I love your scooters and would commute on one myself but alas funds always seems to allocated to other things like mortgage, food and utilities. Glad you were able to enjoy the nice weather and get out and ride, I really enjoy your photos, it rained all day here yesterday but today looks promising for a short ride.
ReplyDeleteVery very cool pics, no doubt you are dreading the onset of winter. Still great that you are sharing thses things together.
ReplyDelete@Troubadour: Thanks, Troub! Yeah, if it weren't for the money... but I can say what I enjoy the most is being out there with the spousal unit.
ReplyDelete@Raftnn: Roger, you can say that. As much as I like riding solo it is always a special treat to ride with hubby!
Beautiful scenes from the road, Sonja.
ReplyDeleteYou have a good eye for finding a nice photographic scene. I guess the one good thing about leaves on the road is it's a good excuse to slow down and enjoy the views.