Pages

November 03, 2011

Retrospect and Prospect

My bikes from 1992 to 1998.
Brand Hopping: BMW, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Vespa

Motorcycle riding re-visited. My bikes from 2009 onwards:
Rover and Paolo
Swing, Ladyhawk and Nella

What's coming next?
A Nightrod? Back to GS650?
 A big fat R1200RT? A nimble Bonnie?
Or the Triumph Explorer?

Or something completely different?
The money tree is planted.
Alas, I am not known for my green thumb.

14 comments:

  1. Sonja::

    bring your green thumb over to my place, I would like a Money shrub too. I have nearly no photos of my previous bikes/scooters but so far I am up to #16 with my 'Strom. It's nice to daydream about the past as well as think about the future too

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous list! are you shopping? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got itchy feet already, Sonja??? You change bikes like I change shirts!

    I'd lay money on the Bonnie or a Tiger 800 but I know that last time you were a bit worried about dealer support.

    I'm not sure what the lovely black Honda in the top picture was called where you were, but it was called the XBR 500 in Aussie and was a beauty - not available in NZ. I had the Japanese domestic market model available in 400 or 500 size called the GB400 and 500. Lovely bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @bobskoot: 16 is a proud number. I bet you could tell lots of stories about your previous steeds.

    @mq01: Not yet. I am actually fairly content with my little Sporty.

    @Geoff James: Well, you know, just a little itch, and the hope that hubby can one day part with the one-bike-at-a-time policy. I still love the Bonnie, and I will watch how Triumph will develop (if ever).
    Well spotted, the Honda is an XBR500, and was an awesome little bike. I loved it very much but you couldn't get any decent aftermarket stuff for traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story little collection of motorcycles in your past. Which would you say was most reliable? Most fun to ride?

    Inquiring minds want to know. :)

    Dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every motorcycle has it's special attraction. I like the retro look of the SR500 (or the Bonnie or the Sporty), but I am also fond of on-board computer and ABS. And I like naked bikes better, I am not a big fan of fairings, or even a windshield.

    In the category 'most reliable' and 'safest' would probably fall probably the Beemer. But if you ask me what is the most fun, suitable for daily use and versatility: I don't hesitate to shout out: VESPA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a well rounded group of bikes Sonja.

    And it never hurts just to peek and see what is out there. No harm in peeking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonja,
    The trip to Minnesota was about many things. One of them was helping to clarify what might be coming next. I'm beginning to think part of owning a motorcycle/scooter is always having "just a little itch."

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Trobairitz: As you said... no harm done ;-)

    @Circle Blue: Keith, I hope the trip served the purpose you were looking for. And even if not, it looked like you had a lot of fun. As for 'the itch', it's a gift... and a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blimey Sonja, at first site I thought you have had more bikes that I've had hot dinners....then I counted them and you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Nikos: You know how it is: So many bikes, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Sonja, do I take it that you are bikeless at the moment?

    FWIW, Triumph is coming out with a special commemorative Bonneville in honor of Steve McQueen and "The Great Escape"

    http://tinyurl.com/43xmscq

    suitable for border crossings and eluding the Germans

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That fabulous range of bikes you have owned make me look like a biking virgin. What is good about them is the variety - the spice of life, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @No Name: Bikeless, what a terrible, terrible word. No in fact I have a Sportster 883 that isn't been used as much as it should be, and my commuter vehicle is the Vespa GT200. No matter what bike, it will be hard for me eluding the Germans... every time I look in the mirror I see one ;-) But that special edition looks mighty pretty!

    @Gary France: Gary, that's the way I like it, variety, that goes for bikes as well as life. The only constant in my life is my dear spousal unit.

    ReplyDelete