Pages

July 25, 2012

IMBC 2012 - Recap

The trip came and passed away, 
hardly seemed to last a day 
but now it's over so what can we do? 

Well, start planning for the next journey for sure!
At the end of a such a multi-day trip we found things that went well, and things that could have been done or planned different / better. In no particular order...

What went well:
  • trip planning allowing for alternate routes
  • hotel reservations in highly frequented vacation spots (thanks Brad & Brandy!)
  • proper gear for all weather conditions
  • professionally serviced bikes ahead of trip
  • carrying enough water and snacks
  • Sena SMH-10 communication system in combination with iPhone Navigon GPS
  • Icebreaker t-shirts and underwear... priceless!
What could be done different next time:
  • Bring paper map for 'big picture'
  • Allow for some luggage space for backup food in case of culinary disasters
  • Bring long johns, it can get really cold even in summer
  • More exercising to strengthen back muscles
We both learned a lot on this journey. Roland experienced his first set of serious twisties and learned better positioning and forward looking riding thanks to the advanced riders ahead of him. He gained a lot of self confidence, which helped him to relax. The Burgy fits his riding style perfectly, and he was in a happy place at most times (except for the crosswind gusts) while on the bike.

I definitely learned to keep my inner hooligan in check while supporting the spouse to get into and remain in his riding comfort zone. I didn't push or challenge him, his safety and comfort became my priority. I also found that I can make the Sportster lean hard. I was almost touching the ground with the pegs. By the end of the journey there was not much of chicken strips left.

The bikes were in ship-shape when we left, and we didn't encounter a failure or breakdown or even a hick-up. There was no detectable loss of oil or air or performance.
Who needs more power anyway? The single cylinder 400cc Burgy with its 34 hp was more than enough to keep the big guy running with the pack. The bike could go for hours on highway speed and the average consumption was about 4.2l /100km or 56mpg (and so was to our biggest surprise the Sportster, also). The Laminar Lip mounted on the windshield did the trick to keep the wind buffeting down to moderate levels. Roland learned to appreciate the hand protectors and heated grips quickly (while I suffered a bit in the cold...). Let alone the seating position could certainly be optimized. Roland needs a back rest, or a different seat alltogether. Other than that, he was absolutely satisfied with the scooter's performance.
The Sporty is a bike that never ceases to amaze me. It ran smoothly, and had a way better fuel economy than expected. No worries about lubing the chain, the bike didn't need any extras, just gas to keep it going. The longer it was on the road the better the performance. Riding the twisties is hard work though and needs some extra muscle, it doesn't lean as easily as a sports bike, but it does lean.  But some modifications would have to be done before the next major road trip as there were 18 stops for gas. A bigger tank could take care of that issue.
For better ergonomics I would want to have handlebar risers (1" higher and 1" back) installed. Heated grips would definitely be an asset as well as hand guards (bugs hitting the summer gloved hands does hurt...). Would it be worthwhile modifying the Harley, or should I still shop around for "the perfect bike"? I don't know yet.
The new Nolan N-104 modular helmet was a good investment despite some minor issues. With the lid closed the noise level was pleasantly low, no ear plugs were needed. I was happy with the peripheral view and the air flow through the vents was great. The slightly higher weight (300g to the 3/4 helmet) didn't bother me a bit. All in all I am happy with this model, but...
  • The flip-up mechanism doesn't seem to like hot weather conditions and is finicky to open once the material heats up.
  • The open face shield as well as the lowered tinted inner sun visor are prone to vibrations under highway speed conditions, which make the whole helmet shake. So... keeping it shut!
  • When the closed face shield is hit by cross winds at highway speed it makes eerie squeaky noises. First I thought that something was wrong with the bike but then I realized it was coming from the visor. I will re-install the visor and see if it goes away.
The Kriega US20 + US10 drybags combined with the run-of-the-mill no name tank bag was giving me enough room to carry all my gear. I kept the extra motorcycle gear in the US10, which was easily accessible, and adjustable by tightening or losening the straps when packing or removing items. The whole thing is a thought-through concept, and highly recommended for those who like (waterproof) tail packs. I certainly do, because it also provided a nice backrest. The only suggestion for improvement would be some loops for the smaller pack to be able to hook in a shoulder strap and use it as a messenger bag.
 Let the good times roll! 
Photo: courtesy bobskoot

34 comments:

  1. Nice - I still owe you guys a write up like this from our last tour. Need to get work out of the way ...

    Regarding back issues: for me, I see the following patterns:

    1) I added Rox risers to my Tiger, which brings me completely upright, no weight or pressure at all on the wrists / hands. This is great for not getting hand fatigue due to vibration or weight on them. The problem is that I slump down over time with this setup. Which makes my rear (bum) hurt and puts more stress on my lower back than I'd like.

    2) I don't use the Rox risers which puts me at a very, very slight forward lean (about 2 to 4 degrees). This puts ever so slightly more weight / pressure on the hands, causing tingling over time if I ride at the 4k rpm spot where the Tiger has light vibrations for too long (unfortunately, that's exactly 60mph which is my preferred cruising speed). But on the other hand, my back and my behind don't hurt as much.

    Not sure what to do for me, but the cruiser style riding position Roland has on the scooter is certainly a factor on the back. That's why the big European touring bikes all have a super neutral riding position, upright, feet pretty much exactly under the seat, arms not locked forward. For the barcalounger style scooter you'd likely need a backrest high enough to take some pressure from the lower back. Which might make handling weird - who wants to ride a La-Z-Boy around the twisties?

    Hopefully you guys can find something that works for you! Btw: During our touring explorations we also found that power is the least of anyones concern. There are waaaaaayyy more important things to consider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find the vibrations annoying when exposed to it over hours. The tingling holds on even hours afterwards, but I thought that was a matter related to the Harley Davidson brand.

      Roland is quite comfy with the 'La-Z-Boy' riding style so far, not sure if a backrest would provide the ultimate solution though. It might just be that he needs to build up some muscle in the right places.

      As for my quick recap of the journey... I take old fashioned paper notes a.k.a. diary and draft out the story while traveling. I just don't like the stress to blog or even like using gadgets much while on the road. Too lazy and too tired.

      Delete
  2. Sonja - it was terrific to meet the two of you and glad you made it back safely. Great review of your equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, hope we can meet again one find day, maybe in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  3. Great recap Sonja. I agree with packing some extra real food. We were glad to leave cowboy country and have a home cooked vegan meal tonight. Cliff bars getva little tedious after 3 or 4.

    I hope you get your helmet sorted out. I wonder if the flip up mechanism is a problem with all their models when heated. Hope your ears recovered from having to force it off.

    Strength training is a good idea too. My knees, shoulders and triceps are sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the Clif bars can lose their attractions after a while but it is better than riding hungry. No more trouble with the helmet since temps dropped. The ears burned for a bit but I am a tough cookie.

      Delete
  4. Nice write-up with some great suggestions. It was great to see you again and meet Roland. I really like the pegs straight down as Guido mentioned as it's very easy to move around on he bike and even stand up and stretch for a bit...

    I was meaning to ask how you like the Nolan. I'm shopping for a new helmet as the HJC doesn't fit well and it's really noisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Richard. I hope it wasn't the last time we met. I agree with the straight pegs, that's why I didn't modify the Sporty as most do with the forward controls. I can easily stand on my pegs and stretch my legs.

      The Nolan definitely gives a good bang for the buck. The only alternative for me would be the Schuberth C3 (the W for woman version).

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great time was had by all and that you're well on the way to getting bikes and gear sorted for even more touring fun!

    As for spending money on the bike to make it fit or buy a better tourer? I guess that's a personal thing depending on how much you like the sporty. Money spent on farkles can make the bike a better fit but you never see the cash back when you trade - personally that doesn't worry me as I enjoy the process and love and get plenty of use out of my bikes. Although I have to say there's definitely some better suited bikes out there (even in the Harley range - did I say that?).

    Now, about your next IMBC run - why stop at just crossing a line on a map? NZ's not really that far away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I have a hard time parting with the Sporty just yet, it is just such a reliable machine, and I like the belt drive. Not sure where I am headed.

      Let's start planting money trees to make an IMBC in NZ possible. I certainly would be one of the first to sign up for it.

      Delete
  6. I laughed out loud when I read "inner hooligan" AND chicken strips! :-) Funny thing is, when you started talking about leaning hard and twisties, I was wondering if you'd remember that term and was delighted to see that you did. I can't imagine being on a special diet while traveling like that. Had to be tough. You never know what the quality of road food will be. Next time, back-up grub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The diet is tough to comply with especially when traveling but necessary to keep my health in check.

      Next trip will be planned around food destinations...

      Delete
  7. Congrats on a successful trip!

    Have you taken an brc2 (formerly etc) on the sporty yet? An advanced riding class like that might help you learn some techniques to turn the sporty more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's indeed the next thing that we want to do, get some additional training. Roland had already been looking up potential facilities.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and it will be something to remember for a lifetime. Things like that are always good.

    Take Care,
    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and even better when shared with a loved one.

      Delete
  9. Glad all went well!

    Regarding vibes through the grips, I fitted grip puppies to my previous GS and they seem to help matters!

    http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/acatalog/Grip_Puppies.html#aM15_2dGRIPPUPPIES

    All teh best from Olympic land, N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check'em out. Thanks for the link. Enjoy the games, I have heard it's a grand show.

      Delete
  10. Good end of ride report and "hot wash" observations and reviews Sonja! Now that you know what makes more "comfy" on long rides, perhaps a motorcycle with more range and the farkles that matter. Glad even more that your hubby had a good time as well.

    Dom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Sportster isn't bad at all. Mighty reliable and low maintenance, just what I expect from a motorcycle, hence I have a bit of an issue parting with it. I am currently on the fence between modifying the Harley or looking into another bike.

      Delete
  11. We're looking for a communication system since our Chatterboxes died. I've heard good things about Sena and it's been on my short list. Nice to hear good report.

    My helmet has a tapping noise at times. Both my helmets (shoeis) did this. It's not the strap, but something about how the wind hits the sheild or its connector. I've never been able to eliminate it.

    Nice wrap up. I like to rehash my trips and glean out what works and what didn't. I always forget by the time the next trip rolls around.

    Kudos to Roland too on his first big trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go with the Sena, you won't be disappointed.

      I usually make notes (old fashioned paper and pen) while I am traveling, so that I can get it out of the way quickly when I am recapping my journey.

      Delete
    2. Kari, go with the Sena. They are great. We have used both previous Scala models and prefer the Sena.

      Delete
  12. Sonja, great recap. Go with modifying the sporty. Oilburner put heated grips and deflectors on his and loved them. Heated grips are fairly easy to install. And the deflectors are super easy and fairly inexpensive.

    I do have a question about how you fuel up. Do you always park side-by-side? Does the hose always have to cut across Whitey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deflector looks Harley worthy, I will check into that, thanks!

      We always park side by side when fueling up. Roland fills first, and while he hands it to me he moves the bike a bit out of the way so the hose goes behind his bike.

      Delete
    2. The deflectors were barely noticeable on the bike. Looked good.

      Interesting fueling option. Thanks for explaining.

      Delete
  13. HD dyna wide glide mini ape hangers will give you the height/rise that you're looking for, and, they're stock/cheap/easy to find. you will need longer cables. but that one change alone (bars+cables)on my previous sporty gave me noticeable improvement in handling. you'll find this is probably the most popular of customizations found on most sporties... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be a mind reader, just yesterday I spent some time looking for farkles for my Sporty. Not sure if I should get kick back risers or the mini ape hangers, though. Cables would have to be replaced in either decision.

      Delete
  14. ;) well, SS cables provide better feel and performance so it's a recommend no matter which bars you choose. personal opinion only, i was happiest with the dyna mini apes. i believe i have some pics of them on my 06 883L if you'd like...just let me know. have fun shopping and let us know what you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS cables made it on my list, too ;-)

      Please by all means if you have some pics, send them my way: sonja dot mager at shaw dot ca.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Your and my bike could be twins ;-) Thank you so much for the pics.

      Delete
  16. Going through your article it's encourage me to have a trip on bike of latest bike. Now which is more comfortable in riding I love to ride bike. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did you install the Sena to that Nolan n104 helmet? Did you use the adhesive mount or is it possible to hook it up using the clamp mount? If you did use the adhesive, does it stick properly on the helmet even tho the surface isnt "glass like" on the matte helmet?

    Does the boom-mike reach in front of your lips even tho the main unit is installed a bit more back than required? If you could please inform me on these issues. I have Nolan N104 and am thinking about getting that Sena set. Some people at forums said that its impossible to hook the sena on to that helmet.

    ReplyDelete