Pages

August 13, 2012

The Hot Way Round

This morning I pulled out the Sporty for the first time since our return from Oregon. The bike was still dirty from the road. Well, it didn't rain just yet... I removed the windshield (way too hot for it), and the sissy bar, started him up, and he came to live with all the good vibes that I learned to appreciate during our recent road-trip.

Today our buddy Cliff joined us for a tour around Fraser Valley with Harrison Hot Springs being the lunch destination. The hubby made it road captain letting the pre-set Navigon lead the way.
It was really hot, and as soon as we had arrived we shed our skins a.k.a. removed the gear. There were many riders who opted for shirts and shorts instead of appropriate riding gear, a risk that we are not willing to take.
Motorcycles get a break in Harrison Hot Springs. Parking is free, and more or less allowed wherever it is safe to do so. A police cruiser was passing by while we picked this spot, he looked at us... and moved on.
Our lunch destination was the Muddy Water. The tables are on a shady patio, and they offer good food at reasonable prices. The view on Harrison Lake was a stunning one.
We made a few stops along the way to stretch our legs. Cliff is a fairly new rider, and not used yet to sitting in the saddle for long hours.
Whenever I look at my stripped down Harley, I am pleased with his appearance. Less is more. I am close to saying: best bike I ever had (but I say that with every bike I owned...).
We hadn't planned on it but there was an air show happening in the vicinity of Abbotsford. So we stopped to watch the event. My camera couldn't do the action justice. It was incredibly precise.
After 250 km a pleasant riding day came to an end. Six hours on the road, splendid weather, a decent ride-to-eat destination, and good company. Live is good!

18 comments:

  1. Nice ride and cool getting a flyover from the air show. That's always fun to see.

    I don't mind warm weather, up to 90F/32C, After that I'd just as soon stay inside. Fortunately really hot weather pretty rarely lasts long in these parts. I'm glad you got out for a nice long ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had about that, it was bearable but I prefer spring and fall temperatures over heat. But after we waited so long for the summer to come I am not complaining.

      Delete
  2. That lake looks like the perfect spot to have a relaxing meal. I feel for Cliff, I still dont like spending too much time in the saddle, and any excuse to stop and take pics is a good excuse anyway.

    Great pics of the airshow, they look so close together!! And I bet they were hard to take photos of, travelling so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing with the Harley is, you HAVE to get off the bike every 150km if you feel like it or not... re-fueling time. But usually stop more often than we did on Sunday because I like to take pics, too.

      Delete
  3. Sonja - it sounds like a perfect day, (and the rains finally stopped here too.) I agree, life is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed, the only thing we could have done without was the recreational crowd with the pick-up trucks and SUVs. Most of them don't seem to have the minimum IQ to conduct a vehicle.

      Delete
  4. Ah, looks and sounds like a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathy it was. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Many years ago I was stationed at Chilliwack and fell in love with that part of BC. I expect it's much different now, but your pictures brought back some great memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The town itself hasn't changed too much but there are lots of new developments around it including recreational properties.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you nicely avoided the freeway in both directions. And it looks like you had wonderful weather and an air show.

    Being able to easily remove the windshield is handy with the hot weather. But the pressure from the wind seems like it would be tiring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to be in the wind when it's so hot, and don't mind to work up some extra muscle due to the wind pressure, it's a passive workout for me ;-)

      Delete
  7. What a fun day even in the heat. Pretty pictures too.

    I am ashamed to say Max hasn't been out of the garage since we got home from the IMBC. Since I don't use it to commute and we've been busy every weekend there he sits.

    I think Rover looks good naked. Sleek lines.

    Did you ever get your helmet issue figured out? The modular lock issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even sure if I should take Rover. For a 250km round trip I think it is not even worth starting up the Sporty. But once I sat on the bike, decision was easy. It still has to get a good wash, though...

      The helmet lock 'blockage' has been sorted out since I am back in moderate temperatures, no issues since.

      Delete
    2. Must have been the heat then. How odd. You might want to email the manufacturer and let them know your experience and inquire if anyone else has reported it.

      I felt so bad for you and your ears pulling your helmet off like we did.

      Delete
  8. Great photos as always Sonja!

    Kudos to you guys for ATGATT. Heck of a temptation on a hot day but the consequences don't bear thinking about either. When we were in Aussie, we saw lots of riders in vests, shorts and jandals (Kiwi-speak for flip flops) - eek!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh, I don’t blame Cliff for needing a rest every now and then. New bikers need time to adjust, but I’m sure that with a few more trips, he’ll get used to it in no time. I think it’s right that you decided to not ditch the riding gear. Since many riders headed the same way you are, there’s no telling what could happen, and the riding gear is always the first line of defense should anything happen. If it’s too hot out, it’s always handy to have a few bottles of water handy to keep you hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really had an amazing time riding the Sporty, huh? Anyway, I hope you guys ensure yourselves that you wear proper clothing and the usual safety gears when riding next time. This is to keep you away from injuries and for you and your buddies to have continuous fun and enjoyment.

    Hannah Parkin

    ReplyDelete