Below Tacoma Downdown as seen from our Hotel window. The weather greeted us with balmy temperatures and clear blue skies.
We got to hook up with a certain vegan motorcycling blogging couple (Brad and Brandy), and had excellent lunch at Quickie Too, a vegan restaurant with a Jamaican twist before we joined the crowds at the exhibition.
The show was fairly small yet offered a lot to drool over. I will let the pictures do the talk. Feel free to pick a favourite. Honestly, I had a hard time making my choice.
Roland standing beside a similar model of the first motorcycle I rode pillion on. The back story can be found here.
And more pics: I couldn't decide which photos to select for the blog, so I had to post them all. Sorry for that.
Roland was particularly interested in a Goggo scooter. We knew the Goggomobil (my aunt had one back in the days) which is an ugly micro car built in the Sixties but we didn't know that they built pretty scooters, too.
This Lammy is beautiful.
After getting enough two-wheeled infusion we visited the LeMay Museum which was generously included in the cost of the ticket for the motorcycle show.
Back in the days when American cars were pretty...
We found an impressive selection of cars. Most of them American... hence the name 'America's Car Museum'.
And these extra-continental exhibits made our visit more than worthwhile: A Karmann, an Isetta and a Vespa.
And look, there is a Lammy, too.
A Messerschmitt and a Citroen 2CV.
If you are in the area, please visit the LeMay Museum. It is well worth the stop in Tacoma. Overwhelmed by all those two or more wheeled pretty shiny things, we headed back to the hotel (a five minute walk), took a a power nap and went out for Vietnamese Dinner at Pho 701 after.
The downtown architecture was quite interesting, alas the light was fading, and we were hungry, hence didn't pay much attention anymore. Food became priority number one.
Saving the best for last ;-) Food Porn!
All vegan lunch at Quickie Too:
and all vegan dinner at Pho 701:
A wonderful day came to an end, and we regretted that it was only a short weekend of a get-together with our friends from Oregon.
We met again in the morning, planning to have Vegan/Veggie breakfast at a place we found on the net, however when we got there we found the Caffe Dei closed, and it didn't look like it was still in business. So, plan B came to pass: a Starbucks around the corner. Time flew by as we chatted about this and that, and way too soon we had to part, but not without the promise to meet again some time soon. Thank you guys, for a wonderful 'couple weekend'.

Fun stuff. Hard to pick a favorite when there are so many nice looking bikes. This weekend we had one of those 'drive by" car shows. You know the kind where you're riding down the road and a string of cool old cars pass you from the other direction. :)
ReplyDeleteLunch and dinner looked really good!
That's what I found, too. Nice you got a vintage infusion as well, must have been a rally.
DeleteLooks like you all had a lovely weekend, it's so nice that you guys can get together like this.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting all the pics, loved them all specially the gogo scooter. Gogomobil became famous in Australia after an advertement that had one of those catch phases that makes it unforgettable and it has become a classic in it's own right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6pO7eLeiM , so it's interesting to see they made a scooter too.
What a nice ad you found. I guess these days you would simple google it ;-)
DeleteI agree with you about the British bikes. I don't know why but I'm drawn to them too, maybe because as a boy growing up a uncle of mine had a Vincent? Or it could just be the clean lines and classic design.
ReplyDeleteIt didn't 'run' in my family but I used the cheaper Japanese version. I guess it is the timeless classic looks that is so smashing.
DeleteYUM! That goes for the motorbikes, cars and food! The Lammy is so cute! I can't believe dinner was free! That was very sweet of the owner. Like you, I think the plates look great!
ReplyDeleteThanks! All in all it was a delicious day. It was a generous offer, and since the food was really good we are wondering now, what the chef would have done differently.
DeleteSonja:
ReplyDeletewhat luck to have found free dinner. That food looks delicious.
It's hard to pick a personal favourite when there is so much to see. Also to see so many models in one place
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube
Yep, we were very lucky that night because it was not a cheap restaurant. I would certainly go there again when in the area only to see what the chef would have done to the food...
DeleteNo favorites but that yellow three-wheeler in the third photo looked really interesting. I've seen photos of them before but don't remember what it is.
ReplyDeleteAnd the dishes look wonderful. I wonder what the manager didn't like about them?
I have also seen that yellow thing before but I can't remember what it was.
DeleteThe manager explained that he didn't like the looks. It didn't look crispy enough, there was too much sauce and obviously the chef has a different way with the spices and the veggies.
Richard/Sonja:
Deletethat is a Morgan 3 wheeler, twin cylinder in front, motorcycle engine
http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/home.html
you will see them at the Van Dusen Gardens all British Motorcycle Show every May long weekend
I would have never guessed that you can now buy a new Morgan three-wheeler. Thank you for the link.
DeleteNever a need to apologize for having "too many" pictures of pretty motorcycles.....
ReplyDeletedom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
;-) I knew you'd understand.
DeleteGreat pictures Sonja. I like that you have the Tacoma Dome in the background of some.
ReplyDeleteWe two had a great time too. It was nice to have a couples weekend and we'll definitely have to do it again soon. Great bikes, great food, and great friends - what's not to enjoy......
We were tired enough when we got home we still haven't loaded the pictures onto the computer. Soon I'll try and get a post up.
The dome made indeed for some good background but I completely missed to take pictures from the museum building.
DeleteIt was so great seeing you guys again. Hope you can make it to the Vancouver Motorcycle Show next year.
Sonja,
ReplyDeleteIs the "yellow thing" a Morgan?
You are a connoisseur obviously, like Bob you identified this thing as a Morgan. Well done, Bob and Keith!
DeleteSonja, great photos - bikes, cars and food. We have a vintage bike show coming up in this area in a couple of weeks but on a much smaller scale.
ReplyDeleteChris Luhman has left a new comment on your post "The Tacoma Time Machine":
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fun time. Loved Quickie too when we were in the area.
(Sorry Chris, must have deleted the original message...)
Great photos and story Sonja. I love old machines be them of the 2-, 3- or 4-wheeled varieties.
ReplyDelete