Meet Janice, owner and founder of Slim's Signature Seats
The seamstress went to work a
few days later to study the current seat in its natural
habitat, ripped off the vinyl and began to work her magic.
The lady is a passionate rider herself, an adventuress, a seamstress and an entrepreneur, in that order. We exchanged some emails and talked about my ideas for the Sportster. Then I visited her in the shop, and her instant interest for my little project showed me that Janice was the right person for the job at hand.
What looked like doodling became the key to re-design. Janice had me sit on the stripped-naked seat, and sketched on the foam what the changes would have to be. After she took off, with the seat strapped to her bike. I didn't know it yet but was in for a big surprise.
Two weeks later the job was done. And the result was good, as a matter of fact it was AWESOME. Talk about exceeding expectations! But see for yourself.
BEFORE:
AFTER:
She
used the same seat pan, recycled some of the foam and shaved and
re-shaped it. The new cover is made out of leather, not vinyl, and the
stitches are in burnt orange. Finally the seating position is no longer confined by the bucket shape.
What a difference a seat makes. I am very pleased with the result, and can highly recommend her work.



Well duh! Why didn't I think of that! I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Knowing this could make the difference between buying a specific scooter or not. I don't always think of the things you can do to remodel a ride! I'm sure that whatever she charged it was worth it.
ReplyDeleteWell, custom work doesn't come cheap but I had the seat already which made it a lot more reasonable, hence it was cheaper than buying a new seat plus you get exactly what you want.
DeleteNice work! Too bad she's in BC.
ReplyDeleteWhy, would you have a job for her?
DeleteLooks like wonderful workmanship. I like the orange stitching. Was any foam added such as higher density foam or just removed?
ReplyDeleteTime for anothe long trip?
Foam has been added in the front to make it wider, and it was removed in other places.
DeleteCool! Gives it an awesome retro look to it as well! Happy happy miles to come. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks, retro is what I had in mind.
Deletelove it! old school yamaha / honda style and i bet super comfy. and great shop she has. its always fun to find and share gems like janice :)
ReplyDeleteYes, you nailed it, that's what I am looking for. I always was a big fan of the 70's bikes.
DeleteWow Sonja, that seat looks really, really nice. I'm really seriously considering a Piaggio MP3 as my next bike. One of the issues with the MP3 is a pronounced "bucket" in the seat. It's comfortable for some, very lacking in comfort for others. If I go that route, I'll also be in the market for a rebuilt seat.
ReplyDeleteAn MP3? Funny that Roland also keeps ogling at those. If you are in the market, and the seat shape is the only thing holding you back... go for a custom seat, but better have it done by somebody that is familiar with the motorcycle world. It certainly paid off in my case.
DeleteAwesome, she made it into a Bonneville seat only tailored to your behind. Nice job. I liked that she used orange stitching too.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you need to put some cafe bars on it now. Maybe turn it into a flat tracker. Sure changes the look....in a good way.
Great job.
Definitely on the right track, Brandy.
DeletePsssst, I wouldn't want to give away too much right now. Time (and money) will tell how far I can go with the bike metamorphosis.)
Awesome seat. Loving the retro look too.
ReplyDeleteSonja it looks simply beautiful! Love the stitching! It's amazing when someone is professional and an artist at their craft what they create. Love the retro look of the sporty.
ReplyDeleteYou betcha, Dar. And her being a rider herself made it so easy to explain things.
DeleteIt looks great!! But I guess the important question is .. is it comfortable? What a good find you have made in Janice. Look like the metamophasis is off to a good start.
ReplyDeleteBrenda, it was very fortunate that Janice is a rider herself, hence comfort and riding position became a key in the design. This is why she wanted to have me sit on the bike, to sketch out the details.
DeleteGreat find and excellent workmanship. I must confess, I had a double take when reading it, when I initially read "Janice had me sit stripped naked on the stripped seat" I thought, what?? No! That's taking things a bit far! I reread and thought, hohum, silly me!
ReplyDeleteI confess, I kinda did use the wording on purpose ;-)
DeleteGreat find and excellent craftman/womanship.
ReplyDeleteI must confess, when I initially read this, I read "Janice had me sit stripped-naked on the seat" and thought, no way, that's going perhaps a step to far for the perfect seat, and then realised my error. Ho hum!
Sonja, looks like she marked the old seat out like a careful plastic surgeon. Comfort is what it's all about (and it looks good too.)
ReplyDeleteLike a plastic surgeon, I should have thought of that. Exactly!
DeleteVery nice! Nothing to add to the other comments. But, I did want to add that I like it.
ReplyDelete~k
You're sweet, Keith. Thanks.
DeleteInteresting look! Gets it closer to a Bonneville somehow. Personally I'm not so much into the retro look, but the seat definitely fits the bike!
ReplyDeleteIf it looks close to a Bonneville, my work is half done. See, I could never warm up to the modern design... Isn't it good that we all have different tastes? Makes the world so colourful.
DeleteCertainly true ... motorcycles are so much more personal than cars.
DeleteVery nice! I love the new seat. I think the style looks really good on the Sporty.
ReplyDeleteThanks for our kind words, Kari.
DeleteThat is some nice work Sonja! Most serious riders end up replacing the stock seat on their motorcycle....
ReplyDeleteReady for some 12 hour days in the saddle now?
dom
12 hours? I could do an Ironbutt now...
Delete