Sun? Which sun? I haven't seen this thing since my return from the lands of Trolls and Huldre
(not that we met either of those). Meanwhile I have been served a typical week of work, eat,
sleep, repeat, while fighting off the jet lag and the spousal unit's man
flu.
A dry spell on a coldish Saturday afternoon gives us the opportunity for a little out and about. We only ride for about sixty kilometers, but use back roads to make it last longer.
It is wrap-up season. The outfitters haul in their equipment and shut down the facilities. We are also painfully aware that there will not be much mileage happening on two wheels between now and maybe March/April next year.
Nature repeats itself. While passing by a stream we notice that the salmon is back. I had visited the place before but it was the first time for Roland to see the deadly attempt of reproduction in full force.
The fish were fighting over the best spawning position. Due to the recent rain falls the water levels were higher than usual, and the silver bodies moved swiftly through the current.
Some were resting for the next attempt to reach a higher vantage point.
Here is one propelling himself over the pebbles into the next little pool of deeper waters.
Although salmon season is in full force we haven't seen one bear on our little ride-out, only deer. We must visit again as this show will go on for another ten to fifteen days.
What gorgeous photos Sonja! Are you allowed to catch the salmon when they're in shallow water? I'm noticing lots of scooter photos of late but not so many Harley ones. Do you still use the HD regularly?
ReplyDeleteThanks Geoff, far too kind. Not sure if you are allowed to catch the salmon, I know that bears are, though ;-)
ReplyDeleteI haven't been riding on my Harley since the Salmon Run Rally just about a month ago. Insurance is running out and I will maybe insure it occasionally for a fair weather weekend but otherwise it will stay put in the garage until next spring.
Sonja:
ReplyDeleteI feel so sorry for those salmon. We are sad that our riding season is ending, but their lives are ending
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube
You are right, there is an end and a beginning, new life would not be possible without their sacrifice.
DeleteThat must have been pretty cool, watching the salmon make their way upstream.
ReplyDeletedom
I watch and are tempted to make the transit easier on them...
DeleteNow that's gotta be the perfect way to see some interesting stuff. Great photos tho it looks like the seasons are really changing for you .. where did your blue sky go?
ReplyDeleteReally you see bears?? ... scary!!
I guess we must have forgotten the blue sky in Norway, all we get is dreadful grey.
DeleteIt's that time of the year where you can watch bears best as they fill their bellies with the poor salmon.
Beautiful! And such clear photos of the salmon. The stream at the fish hatchery where I saw the salmon was very dark.
ReplyDeleteSoon the fish will be harvested for their eggs, the flesh given to food pantries. And the eggs will live on.
We were lucky that the stream was clear despite the rainfalls before.
DeleteGreat pictures Sonja. At least you were able to get out for a scoot when you got back from Europe.
ReplyDeleteThe salmon are running down here too and soon the rivers will be red and the bears will be fed. Hey - that rhymes.
A noble sacrifice as the circle of life continues.
Like the rhyme ;-) salmon poetry.
Delete...even if it wasn't under the sun at least it wasn't from under an umbrella. Great photos. We don't have salmon running in the St.Lawrence so much. (I'd have to say I'd have been relieved not to see a bear.)
ReplyDeleteWhen you can watch bears from afar as they are feeding on salmon it is nature TV, and the program doesn't get better than this.
DeleteThanks for the photos of the Salmon. I agree with Ms VStar Lady: I'd have been relieved not to see a bear. Here it is the beginning of the rutting season for deer. This is when most of the collision with deer happen. I'm happy to even see a deer.
ReplyDelete~k
Deer season walways brings the deer close to roads, don't know why, we have so much forest, and they decide to park themselves in the middle of your path ;-)
DeleteVery interesting. Thanks for sharing as I haven't had the chance to see spawning salmon in real life.
ReplyDeleteLovely shots Sonja! They don't need a classic Italian Vespa in them to be so, but there is certainly no down side either. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteOh no, man flu! And lots of swimming fish. Fall looks pretty in your neck of the woods.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen salmon like that but in Scotland we have them and in places special ladders built to help them get upstream.
ReplyDeleteThis one is in Pitlochry in Perthshire. It is fascinating to see them getting past the hydro and into the loch.
http://www.secret-scotland.com/Attractions/pitlochry-salmon-ladder.html