Somewhere along the route we stopped at a glass factory and museum but we didn't visit as we felt that we were already falling behind schedule.
The roads were in fairly good condition, and the weather started out beautifully. We imagined that it could have been a nice trip on motorcycles, too.
The gorgeous vistas reminded us of places we've seen in other parts of the world such as Canada.
You could imagine being in the Okanagan Valley in BC...
...or somewhere in Kananaskis Country in Alberta.
We climbed higher and higher, and the roads became smaller and smaller...
Our car, a Nissan Juke did a good job so far but we dearly missed our Audi on this route.We entered the famous Fjordland and found ourselves surrounded by huge and steep mountain walls.
Vegetation became sparse as we continued our climb into the mountains. Soon the thermometer took a dive down to 0C (32F) and below.
The center-line ceased to exist and the roads became narrower and twistier. What the...?
It slowed us down a fair bit and we had another 250 km ahead of us. But we had sun and blue skies an a clear view... at least for a while.
It didn't worry us too much except for the fact that there was almost no other traffic encounter.
The mountain pass impressed us with stunning vistas of snow capped mountains and glaciers.
And then we hit the clouds and it started snowing. Did it really have to?
We suddenly became very happy about the fact that we drove a 4WD. Eventually the road descended in twists and hairpin turns.
We drove through countless tunnels (the longest being 11km) and were welcomed by more breathtaking views and a climate change. This must be were the Trolls (mystic figures of the Scandinavian folklore) live.
Vegetation became greener again, temperatures where climbing higher, and it started raining for a while.
But in between we had dry spells in which the clouds were torn apart by wind gusts and opened up grand vistas of Norway's signature landscape.
The final leg to Bergen was uneventful as we were driving into dawn, and traffic had picked up a little (there must be a vehicle somewhere in that picture).
We arrived in Bergen, the second largest city of Norway at 5PM, after an eight hour drive for a distance of 480km (300 mls).
View towards Bryggen quais.
The town was incorporated in 1070, it was Norway's capital once, and still is Europe's rain capital.
2,250 mm (89 in) in Bergen compared to 1,588 mm (62.5 in) in Vancouver area. And here I thought it would rain a lot at the We(s)t Coast. I will never complain ever again about the weather in Vancouver.

Beautiful photos. The area looks wonderful. The roads and the scenery kind of remind me of up here, though the trees are bigger.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richard, I had the same feeling some time especially when we were higher up the mountain range.
DeleteGorgeous photos Sonja. I am jealous. My father's maternal and paternal family were from Norway but I've never been there.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see more pictures. I'd tell you to have a good time, but I am sure you are.
How do you like the Juke? I hear it is smaller than our Nissan Versa we used to have.
See, Brandy one more reason to visit. It is a beautiful country.
DeleteThe Juke is a fun car but doesn't serve any purpose. The trunk is too small. We could only fit two carry-ons and a back pack in there. It was a Diesel with good fuel economy. The thing that bugged me were the seats, they had a really bad ergonomics.
Sonja:
ReplyDeleteI loved the Northern/Alaskan feel to those narrow roads and snow capped mountains. I would be stopping all the time to snap photos. I can just imagine how it would be in warmer weather on a motorcycle
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My YouTube
Bob, I wished we could have stopped more but with being on a schedule most of it was drive-by shooting. The landscape of Norway is very similar to Canada, only on a smaller scale.
DeleteI love Bergen! I traveled a few years ago with my mom to Norway and met many of my relatives. Stavanger, Olso, Harmar, and Lilhammar were a few of the places we visited. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteWell, you get around! We just passed Stavanger and didn't stop in Oslo either (except for the airport which isn't really in the city).
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a spectacular drive. Just beautiful. So many places I would love to visit. Thanks for taking us along...
ReplyDeleteYes, it is a little dream come true if ever so briefly. You are right, so many places so little time.
DeleteLove the photos, what spectacular scenery Norway has. It reminds me a bit of NZ's south Island as there is little traffic there too.
ReplyDeleteLucky you don't live at Milford Sound in NZ as they have an annual rainfall of 7m or 7000mm.
7m of rainfall sounds like world record. I guess people in Bergen are still well off. Despite the rain Milford Sound is on my bucket list.
DeleteDont you think it looks a lot like NZ?
ReplyDeleteIt seems a bit how I imagine the South Island of NZ but I have never been there so I wouldn't know.
DeleteWow Sonja. Just wow.
ReplyDeleteI have a tentative plan to ride through Norway in 2014 when on a very long trip. I have never been, but seeing your pictures just confirmed it as somewhere to make sure is on my ride.
Enjoy your trip!
outstanding pictures of the fjords! very nice.
ReplyDeletenow, to find a motorcycle to pose in the foreground....
dom
Beautiful. Simple beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWow. Those pictures are fantastic. I just love the colors and the light. Great job!
ReplyDeleteAnd the landscapes kept changing...they are so beatiful
ReplyDelete