It didn't stop raining for weeks, at least that's what it feels like. I go for a hike, I get wet, I go for a ride, I get wet. I go shopping... you get the picture.
Daylight Saving Time gives me the benefit of an extra hour, which I gladly spend on taking out Paolo for a spin around the block.
Leaves and water make for a slippery surface. It is just one more road hazard to be aware of come this time of the year.
There is moss everywhere, as a constant reminder of the humid air. The naked branches of the moss covered trees seem to want to grab my little scoot. And more of the nasty green stuff on the ground wants to see me slip and fall.
Despite the dreadful grey of the day there is beauty. Empty roads are one of the many advantages of season's ending. And sometimes the clouds part to give way to a nice view on a mountain or a lake. So, it's not all bad.
I just wonder why people keep staring at me and my Vespa? Is it so unusual to go for a ride in the rain and have fun jumping through some puddles? This is how I clean my bike.
Paolo playing hide-and-seek. Doesn't he seem to fit right in with the colours of the fall foliage?
And while I am continuing my journey through the rain with dark clouds hovering I am dreaming... not of a white Christmas, but of dry roads, and blue skies.
Sonja,
ReplyDeleteIt may be wet for you but it's providing some wonderful photos for us Down Under! That last photo of yours in particular is absolutely glorious.
It seems to me that you'll have to reorganise your job to have summer in Canada and then down to NZ for 6 months :-).
Geoff, you are far to kind but thank you. I will take your suggestion to my boss, I am sure he will understand and have me relocated right away ;-)
DeleteSonja,
ReplyDeleteI, too, think the final photo is marvelous. And, I agree with you about the leaves being a hazard.
~k
Thanks Keith, your daily postings keep me inspired to ride on as long as I can.
DeleteI'll trade you a little rain for a little sun! If only it were that easy:) When I watch the news and I see portions of the country experiencing flooding I often wonder if a really smart person could come up with a way to move that water to an area experiencing drought. They'd make millions!!
ReplyDeleteI am pretty sure that these solutions are already hidden in a secret drawer waiting for the moment for water becoming a commodity traded on the public market... scary thought if you ask me.
DeleteI'm so with you on that. Of course, that's easy to say living in California, but I was riding back in Germany and I rode year round. My bike (or my Vespa) was my only vehicle at the time and Germany is not known for the perfect weather either.
ReplyDeleteBut yeah - people think you're weird, because they automatically assume that motorcycles or scooters are recreational vehicles only and therefore you're shattering they view of the world. Keep doing it, it's great.
Unfortunately, I also have to admit, that I got a little shy of water since living in California. It's just so easy to wait the day or two until the sun comes out again ...
I have been riding in Germany all year round, too. But the rain here really gets you, and that people can't handle their vehicles doesn't help much.
DeleteI am never riding my shiny Sportster though, only the Vespa gets out to play.
If I were to wait for the sun, or at least a dry spell, I might have to mothball my scooter until March/April next year...
Sonja, Beautiful photos. I like the one with the tall trees best! I can certainly smell the leaves and feel that wet day. What are your temperatures?
ReplyDeleteThanks Martha. It was fairly mild, about 13 or 14C (56F)
DeleteWe're just today seeing some hints of sunshine after a week of rain (thank you Sandy!) and just in time too as I was going stir-crazy. I honestly don't think I could handle the winter rains you get on the coast. I'll take snow over that any time, even if it means I don't get to ride.
ReplyDeleteI am still on the fence with regards to the weather but I have to admit I sometimes miss the crisp blue winter skies in Alberta, even though riding season was fairly limited(Mai to September).
DeleteNice pictures. All I have to look at around here is trees, more trees, and lot of lakes. I have to drive 700 miles to see anything that remotely resembles a mountain. And, all there is between here and there is corn & bean fields and rolling pasture land!
ReplyDeleteWell, Erik both has its perks. Lakes (dreaming of a lakeview cottage) and the colours of your fall foliage are special, too.
DeleteI like the mountain views, and I love the ocean but the weather gets me sometimes.
Great pictures Sonja. Puddles and reflections can be fun.
ReplyDeleteIt looks as though your trees are a little more naked than ours. The leaves are really trying to hold on this year.
Brandy, our trees got heavily pummeled by wind and rain in the last few weeks. Usually they would not have been that naked until end of November.
DeleteNo idea why folks would stare....haven't they see a year round rider before?
ReplyDeletedom
I guess its rather that time of the year when cagers think once more the road is theirs, and they shouldn't have to share it with riders of the two-wheeled kind (motorized or not).
DeleteI really like your photos. The third one with the hazy reflections from the wet road make me think really slippery. We would get that a lot in September when it was right above freezing.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, do you leave the case on your scooter all the time or do you bring it in to your office if it's raining?
Thanks, Richard. It was indeed a little slippery from the muck on the ground. A mix of water, mud, leaves and moss... not the best road condition.
DeleteThe bag is waterproof so I leave it on the scooter at all times.
Sonja - I am amazed that you found one, fully dressed tree amidst the naked ones, and dressed like a Canadian Flamenko dancer to boot. Beautiful photos (as always). Can you get snow tires for the scoo? I think it's coming here sooner than later (there were a few tell tale flakes today.) I have to agree with Canajun, and fellow eastern Ontarion, I'd rather have crisp blue skies and snow than rain, rain, rain. Careful on those wet leaves, enjoy as long as you can.
ReplyDeleteIt was like this tree refused to shed its leaves like I refuse to believe that riding season is over ;-)
DeleteNo such thing as snow tires for scooters, at least I have never heard of it. With slush on the road I prefer to drive the 4WD anyway.
Heidenau Snowtex tires are available for scooters. Like Blizzak tires, they supposedly use a soft rubber compound for better winter traction.
DeleteRichard, only you would know there are actually snow tires for scooters ... so now there is no excuse right (except for the cooooooold!)
DeleteLove the hazy, wet brightness and that Vespa only makes the view better. The riding conditions you found may not be conducive to an all day ride, but for a couple of hours, there's something mystical and magical about that kind of trip. Puddle-washing, a rider after my own heart!
ReplyDeleteI agree that a day trip would be too much given the weather and road conditions.
DeleteMy vehicles are being kept mechanically sound but I am guilty of neglecting them in terms of washing and polishing... Isn't that what rain is for?
Beautiful! I am increasingly envious of your part of the world. Well, except in winter time.
ReplyDeleteIt could be worse. It could be snow ;-)
DeleteYou always post such great photos Sonja! Love the puddle hopping one and the last one is a stunner.
ReplyDeleteI showed this post to my husband and he really enjoyed it too, said Paolo looked like he had escaped out on his own and was going for an adventure!!
Thanks. Paolo does this all the time ;-)
DeleteWonderful images!
ReplyDeleteSergei, I am flattered. Thanks!
DeleteI can say your photos are really nice. But when Sergei complements your work, you have to know it's REALLY NICE!.
ReplyDeleteThanks David. I don't know what to say. Sometimes I must get a lucky shot.
Delete