I didn’t go “cold tofurky” though, my approach was gradual. First I fastened, then I changed my eating habits to a low carb, sugar free, and gluten free diet. I became a vegetarian before I went vegan. My motivation for this was triggered by underlying health issues. ALL OF THEM ceased to exist after changing to a gluten free and vegan diet, while a welcome side effect was the return to the 'normal weight' category in the BMI.
However, my decision to avoid animal products in my diet didn’t convert me into a fiery PETA supporter. I admit that I still have a soft spot for sushi. Also, I haven’t banned products made from animal hides from my closet such as my motorcycle pants, leather jackets or leather boots, but I turned to vegan cosmetic products.
No worries, this blog certainly isn't going to turn into a mission towards gluten free and vegan lifestyle. That this change worked for me doesn't necessarily mean that it will do the same for you. But if you suffer from indeterminable symptoms such as depression, mood swings, fatigue, headaches, joint pain or digestive problems, think about your diet before you accept to take the drugs your doctors prescribe too lightly instead of working with you on a holistic approach. Just saying...
For my transition to healthier living I have to thank Richard for his inspiration to keep walking in any kind of weather. I also want to thank a certain bunch of vegan moto-bloggers namely Brandy, Brad, and Chris, for sharing their insight and recipes, as well as Guido’s wife Andrea (a nutritionist by trade) for her professional support. And I couldn't have pulled it off without my supportive better half who has to put up with my food experiments.
Life is good!
It always surprises me how much we can change our lives just through diet. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteIndeed! It took me a while, but I have understood what's good for me.
DeleteGood for you Sonja and delighted that it's really paying off with measurably better health. We're not vegetarian but only have meat and fresh fish about 3 days a week - the rest being vegetarian. We definitely feel better for it than when I was working and eating any old crap out of our site canteen!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes to you and Roland for 2013......
Thanks my friend. I do not force Roland to participate but he has significantly changed his diet as well because he could see the progress I was making.
Delete"Cold tofurkey", that is a good one! I'm glad that you have done so well with the change and are enjoying it. So much easier to make that kind of change when it feels so easy. (Of course, easy now that the conversion is rooted.)
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't easy and took a lot of will power ;-)
DeleteBut now that I have embraced the different diet, I wouldn't want to have it any other way.
When we first changed out diet over 4 years ago I was so surprised at how much better we felt, particularly with my Crohn's. After being vegan for over a year we feel even better. I think the key was not going 'cold tofurky' as you put it. And we don't get sick (colds & flu) anymore - bonus.
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for sticking with your walking and getting healthy. Happy Healthy 2013 to you and Roland.
Note to self.......I need to walk more.
I also noticed that my health improved with regards to resistance to colds or other bugs, and hope it will stay that way.
DeleteCongrats for making the change and sticking with it. It is more challenging to stick with a more vegetarian diet as it is not very popular at home. And still able to get out walking most afternoons during the week but not as long as I would like. My goal now is a much more modest 25 miles per week. Much easier to meet during the winter than it is in the summer. I suspect that once I get the sidecar rig on the road my goal will get even more difficult to reach on a regular basis. I.e. riding is bad for my health...
ReplyDeleteKeeping a veggie diet is certainly more difficult in some areas. When I was o traveling the North American country side it was quite challenging to find edible food. I keep on walking my 2-3 miles every day. It is not much but better than playing couch potato.
DeleteSonja:
ReplyDeleteI also have a sensitive stomach and I have been trying to modify my diet too. Not as extreme as going Vegan but much less red meat, more vegetables & less quantity. You are lucky to have a nutritionist to help you
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube
Bob, before I never paid much attention to my sensitive stomach. I just thought it's something I have to live with... until I changed my diet and learned that digestion doesn't have to be accompanied by discomfort.
DeleteI am glad you are feeling better and found a balance. I believe many, if not all of our ailments are directly related to our food. Thank you for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteI love the photo.
Well, I just had to look at you over the past years and the changed you have gone through, looking healthy and slim ;-) and knew it would pay of eventually.
DeleteSonja, so good that you are able to balance health and satisfaction; we all too often have trouble getting it right.
ReplyDeleteIt took me the better part of my life to understand what's good for me. Now that I am feeling better I am not turning back ;-)
DeleteSonja,
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I have embraced walking and am hooked on my multiple daily dog walks which are usually about 45 minutes or more. I am going to leave puppy at home and start taking longer walks. I have found it has done miracles for my hip joint and SI joint which I injured in the scooter crash 24 months ago. Its far from perfect, but it is getting better, so I am going to stick with it and am considering going back and doing Tai Chi again or even trying yoga. I have also started adding more veggies to our diet and have been looking at flour substitutes for my recipes, so far spelt is my favorite. I have found great shoes finally and they have made a world of difference to my walking experience. I have actually started taking the bus to work during the icky weather and even walking home which is almost a 2 hour walk. So my life is changing and I am starting to feel healthier and stronger. Now I just have to get a good goretex jacket for the rain and I am good to go.
We were thinking about getting a dog just to have a reason to go outside more but we didn't want to impose our work life and difficult schedules on a loving animal. So I have to pull myself up and go. 45 minutes is about what I walk on a daily basis. It's just enough to free your mind. I also do gymnastics in the morning to untangle my joints ;-)
DeleteNo scootering for me until the weather gets warmer. I do not like slippery roads. I am guilty of taking the car lately.
Good rain gear does the trick when out on the wet coast. I have rain pants and a good goretex jacket, and waterproof walking boots to stay dry.
You should see if a neighbor had a dog you can walk. They and the dog may appreciate the change
DeleteThat's a brilliant idea, thanks.
DeleteI was going to suggest a dog walking arrangement as well. I know there are lots of people who get a dog and then end up not being able to take it out as much as they would like, so it may have a benefit for you if someone is in that situation.
ReplyDeleteWell Done Sonja! And to make it even better, the aerobic exercise of walking builds up your stamina making long distance motorcycle rides just that much easier for your body to handle.
ReplyDelete