Vespisti Wiki: Double up (adverb) - to share a scooter meant for one person.
And hubby geared up. He was serious about this! In the beginning I wasn't feeling very comfortable with not being in charge, but that changed quickly. Roland was in full control of the vehicle.
All, that was left for me was to relax and enjoy the ride (and take some action pics). The Vespa was happy to play outside, and the three of us had a wonderful outing.
We haven't seen many two-wheelers but some boaters, bicyclists and hikers. Also, we had our share of stupid female (!) SUV drivers. One was a very bad SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you). Luckily Roland anticipated the move of the BMW X5, he kept the scooter in check during the braking maneuver, and made good use of our Wolo Bad Boy horn. Can you say 'jump'? The startled lady almost went into the ditch but we were safe. I hope she learned the lesson.
The other situation was a SMIDSYBIDC (Sorry mate I did see you but I don't care): The female Nissan cager forced her way in by undertaking us on a merging lane, so we had to slow down for her. Needless to mention that there was lots of room behind us. But she needed to be ahead of us, that stupid cow.
Anyway, we made it there and back without getting hit or seriously in peril. When it comes to bad driving it was just another day in Canadian traffic.
Back in town we treated ourselves with a nice hot beverage and gluten-free muffins at our favourite (non-franchise) coffee place.
A happy ending to a gorgeous day. Life is good!
Once you're a rider in your own right you realize how much trust is involved when getting on behind someone else. When I was young and foolish (at least more foolish than I am now) I'd jump on behind anyone. Now I can count the people on one hand that I would trust to get me from point to point on 2 wheels. But it sounds like it didn't take you long to get over that and enjoy what looked like a very nice day.
ReplyDeleteI was the same, I got on the pillion with whoever was willing to take me. But that was before I rode my own that I questioned the riders capabilities, and became more reluctant. But it worked out well although I don't want it to become a regular event.
DeleteAesome... looks like a great time, so great you can share your passion with hubby, now when you coming back to NZ....I want to feed you up, you getting to thin!
ReplyDeleteOh Rog, I wish I could. My boss is going but he wasn't willing to take me along on the trip. Grrrr. Well, meanwhile you will be busy playing host to Gary and Jackie. I wonder what you will throw on the barbie for them?
DeleteAwesome day out in the sunshine.
ReplyDeleteSometimes it is nice to just sit back and relax and not have to do as much thinking on the back of the bike. Hard to give up that control, but sometimes it is nice (not as comfy though - no heated grips back there)
Those coffee and muffins look like a perfect way to end the ride too.
Miss you two!
The 'relax' part took a little time, I was pretty tense in the beginning but our parking lot training paid off, and Roland handled the loaded scooter as if he had always meant to be two-up. We miss you guys, too. Hope to see you some time this year?
DeleteDo the gluten free muffins make you more or less tolerant of the rude/incometent female car drivers you encounter? Just wondering.....
ReplyDeleteDefinitely less! I am totally Zen after I changed my diet.
DeleteSorry to hear you've got your own local herd of stupid cows behind the wheel of multi-ton cages. Good situational awareness by your hubby!
ReplyDeleteThese creatures seem to be everywhere, but here in the lower mainland there is an infestation.
DeleteUgh, sometimes I just wonder why people change so much when they get behind the wheel of a car, would they cut you off if they were in a shop with you? And on the road it's a lot more life changing than in a shop eh?
ReplyDeleteLooks like it was a lovely day out anyway, great pics from the back Sonja. I too wouldn't consider getting on the back of a bike with anyone anymore (tho I used to all the time), I have with hubby once and never again, his pillion seat was made for an insect, my backside dont fit!!
We have done a bit of parking lot exercise before we hit the actual road. The scooter bench indeed offers enough room for two, but not for the long haul. Those two hours in the back seat was enough.
DeleteWhat a great day (aside from the non-observant drivers) and how lucky that you still have one ride ready to go ... and roads to go on. No snow - I just can't believe that (would you like some - we could ship the extra ha, ha.)
ReplyDeleteWe can't believe the snow-less winter either. I bet we get our dump of white stuff when the rest of Canada is blossoming.
DeleteThe roads in our area still have enough ice on them that even the cell phone addicted drivers are paying attention to the road else end up in the ditch. But once Summer comes, look out....
ReplyDeleteIf it would help drivers to actually pay attention to the road I'd say: bring on the ice but usually fat chance of people watching the road. They have so much more 'important' stuff going on, that they can't bother with other participants in traffic.
DeleteHeather is making noises about being willing to try two up. Come summer we'll do some parking lot time and see how it goes. There has been all the talk about giving up control and being pillion. I'm not all that keen on having the added responsibility. We'll just have to see how it works out. I would be lovely if it works out as well as it did for you all.
ReplyDeleteZen? Sure :^)
~Keith
Hey Keith! Give it a try on a closed course. Maybe you will both enjoy it. Of course it comes with responsibility but you know you are, and Heather knows it too, that you don't do crazy stuff.
DeleteHaving grown up in the Lower Mainland, I thought that everyone just drove like inconsiderate jerks but having lived in Edmonton and Nanaimo I know that it doesn't have to be so! Every time I drive in Nanaimo someone does something considerate -it restores your faith in humanity behind the wheel a bit. Glad your horn worked so well!
ReplyDeleteDarby
https://wetcoastvespa.wordpress.com/
Hello Miss L. How are you? Please say hi to Paolo, and tell him that I miss him.
DeleteHaving lived in Calgary I was surprised about the inconsiderate if not rude driving in the lower mainland. But this is just a thing you learn to deal with. It's not all bad though, but some stuff is flat out scary.
Sonja:
ReplyDeleteI was "forced" to navigate 2-up on my Vstrom a couple of years ago and I was stressed out. I never posted about this but I was at a scooter coffee gathering. You know I never ride two up, it's just too much responsibility for me. Anyway we finished our coffee and one of the scooters wouldn't start. We had no jumper cables. So obviously I had the largest bike and "he" said you can double me back to my car at home and we will get the jumper cables. I had to ride up Main street, turn right at 25th, then south down Cambie, bla , bla. and I think he was nearly as heavy as me. The bike nearly dumped when he go on the back . . .
you are so brave, for me I hope "never again"
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
If I were to carry a pillion, Bob, I would feel uncomfortable with it, too. I never had to do a two-up although I enjoyed riding pillion long before I got my own license and bike. It was Roland who really wanted to do this, and thanks to parking lot training as well as a somewhat experienced rider in the back he handled it very smoothly.
DeleteSonja I like to call the species of bad drivers 'cagerignorantus' and I have met my fair share of ignorant texting/cellphoning/distracted/careless drivers. I have taken to riding the lately to give myself a little break from bad drivers and the rain.
ReplyDeleteLove the pics! I've ridden pillion for 30 years on the hub's bike. I wouldn't ride with just anybody, but he is awesome. Glad you had a good outing!
Sonja, like Dar says I am very happy riding pillion and trust my hubby's driving. We have our fair share of inconsiderate drivers over here in South Africa too! With a bit of open throttle we can leave them behind ;-)!
ReplyDeleteLove your pics!
Nice post :)
ReplyDeleteGood to know that both of you (your hubby and you) have same interest. I am sure when it comes on riding both of you are happy. For me riding on a beautiful places is my stress reliever.
ReplyDelete