The sound, the vibration. Every time I start up Rover, my 883 Harley Davidson Sportster, I am in love all over again. Alas, no news with regards to TÜV approval, and no word from the dealership yet. In case I haven't mentioned it before: Waiting sucks, really!
Every time I see you something happens to me
Like a chain reaction between you and me
My heart starts missing a beat
Every time
(Lyrics grabbed from The Pet Shop Boys song: Heart)
I had however a valid reason to take out the Sportster. Unfortunately we had lost our slot in the nearby parkade due to the sale of the apartment it belongs to, and had to find another bike shelter.
***
Es passiert jedes Mal...
... wenn ich den Motor meiner Harley Davidson Sportster 883 starte. Die Vibrationen und das Grollen der Maschine reissen mich wieder in ihren Bann. Ich kann mich dem gar nicht entziehen. Leider habe ich immer noch keine Neuigkeiten vom TÜV und auch der Händler hat sich noch nicht wieder wegen des Umrüstungsangebotes gemeldet. Das Warten nervt!
Der Grund, dass ich das kleine Monster aus seinem Dornröschenschlaf erwecken musste war ganz trivial. Man hatte uns wegen Eigenbedarf den angemieteten Tiefgaragenplatz gekündigt. Mit Hilfe einiger Beziehungen kamen wir aber ruckzuck an eine noch schönere Garage im Dorf, die auch nicht viel weiter weg liegt als die andere. Hier wird die Sportster nun trockenen Reifens auf das Urteil des TÜV warten (müssen...).



i can see the happiness in your smile, too...
ReplyDeleterover loves you. he's patient. he'll be there. :)
Thanks, I like to think so, too.
DeleteSonja, a German colleague from Dusseldorf was in town and I mentioned your TÜV challenges to him. I said there must be thousands of Harleys on the road in Germany, what's the big deal? He said that the Harleys for the German market are made of better steel. Now I find that hard to believe. Hopefully they won't be doing a bone density test on Rover (or an MRI). Yikes!
ReplyDeleteThere are special rules that apply for Germany, and for Germany only. Lighting and indicators, noise level, safety of accessory (all needs TÜV), environmental specs to name a few things. The Harley was built for the Canadian market which are not compatible with the German standards. It sucks but that's why Harley Davidson motorcycles are likely the most expensive brand in this neck of the woods.
DeleteHooray - at least you got to take Rover out for a short ride.
ReplyDeleteYou look happy and he fits right in with the scenery.
Of course I did not ride... that would be totally illegal...
DeleteBetter to wait now as Winter approaches than in the Spring when you'll really want to ride!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, winter. Had forgotten about that one...
DeleteJa, dann drücke ich mal die Daumen für das schicke Teil :)
ReplyDeleteDanke schön, kann jeden Daumen gebrauchen!!!
Deleteyep, waiting sucks.....here's hoping it'll soon end. That sportster needs to be exploring!
ReplyDeletemakes me wonder what bureaucracy would be involved to ship a URAL from the US to the EU!
The chance of a German market HD being made of 'better' steel is wishful thinking. I'm sure the issues could easily be solved with cubic money. The biggest expense will likely be the exhaust. Considering what a new set of stock pipes would cost here in Canada, I'll bet the higher spec 'cat' equipped exhaust in Germany will be scary expensive.
ReplyDelete