But what's that? On the other side of the mountain range it's warming up again, and the clouds merely become a decorative background feature.
I have arrived at lake Nagold, a reservoir, once built to control flooding, and to provide irrigation for agriculture and forestry, it also serves as a source for natural energy.
During season the lake is also being used for versatile outdoor activities such as (non motorized) boating, fishing, windsurfing, swimming, diving or the hiking, bicycling or in-lining around.
But with people back in the workforce, the beginning of the new school year, and the change of season the parking lots are left empty. More bliss for me. In the background I spot a covered bridge, alas it is for pedestrians only, so lake-crossing will remain a no-go for my orange steed Alonzo.
Moving on. I have reached the northernmost point of today's road trip and I am ready to turn around...
... when I am confronted again with this wall of black thunder clouds. It seems to keep following me ready to strike any moment now. In a feeble attempt to escape I twist the throttle and let it roll faster than usual.
However, no outing of mine can go without sightseeing: The Reichenbach Monastery near Baiersbronn was founded in the 11th century by the Benedictine order. Reformed in the 17th century it shortly became Catholic during the Thirty Years Wars but had been given back to the Protestants again after the peace treaty of Westphalia. It has served as a Protestant church ever since.
A lunch break with a view. Still no rain to be had but the sky is overcast now.
I visit one of my most favourite spots in the Black Forest: The Abbey of All-Saints. Founded by a Roman Catholic religious order in the 12th century at 620m above sea level, surrounded by mountains, and with a waterfall close-by, this ruin is an eye catcher, and I have returned a few times already.
The monastery was already half destroyed by fires in the 15th and 16th century, when a lightning struck one doomed day in the 19th century and finished it off for good. After that the building was demolished and sold off, but thanks to the development of tourism in the area necessary steps were taken to conserve the remainder as we see it today.
There is a war memorial in the background of the picture on the right. It resembles an ancient Greek temple, inside a pensive warrior sitting on a pedestal. The engraving below tells us: Wir heissen Euch hoffen - We bid you, be of hope.
Weather has improved again, and I take another break at the viewpoint Studentenfelsen (Student's Rock, named after the old story of a student in love who lost his life likely while proving his bravery to his girl or something like that.). Well, yet another blood-shedding morbid dark mystery tale. That's indeed why the Black Forest is called black...
This found me shaking my helmeted head in disbelief. I took a single track road down to my village when I encountered a road sign telling that the speed limit of 50 km/h has been lifted. In other words: One may proceed at 100 km/h (62 mph)! Are you kidding me? The road conditions would not allow going beyond 60 km/h... and believe me, I tried faster.
Map: 150km - 3h
I had kept on my rain gear during the whole jaunt, and it worked its mojo. The clouds let me ride safe and dry today. It started pouring down when I was already relaxing on my sofa with a good cuppa tea.
***
Regen oder nicht Regen, das ist hier die Frage.
Warum um alles in der Welt fahre ich in nordöstlicher Richtung, dort wo sich die Regenwolken zusammen brauen. Es ist kälter als ich dachte und ich ziehe mein Regenzeug über, auch um mich gegen den beißenden Wind zu schützen. Erst einmal über den Hügel und die Kammstraße, dann sehe ich weiter. Die Wolken hängen tief, man kann sie fast greifen, aber ich bleibe vom Nass bisher verschont. Inzwischen bin ich hinter Freudenstadt und mache mir die Nagold-Talsperre zum Tagesziel. Im Sommer steppt hier wahrscheinlich der Bär, denn hier kann man segeln, paddeln, angeln, surfen, tauchen oder auch um den See herum spazieren, Rad fahren oder Inline-Skaten. Doch mit dem Urlaubsende und dem Schulanfang wurde das Ende der Saison eingeleitet und die Parkplätze sind verwaist. Um so besser... für mich! Bei Seewald habe ich den nördlichsten Punkt meines Ausfluges erreicht, drehe um und schaue auf einen schwarzen Wolkenturm. Da kann ich doch unmöglich trockenen Fußes (Reifens) durch kommen. Ich drehe am Gasgriff und mache mich vom Acker. Doch kann ich nicht widerstehen, als ich bei Baiersbronn am Kloster Reichenbach vorbei komme. Der Fotostopp muss sein. Etwas später muss ich mich noch dringend bei einer Müsli-Riegel-Pause stärken. Es ist inzwischen zwar stark bewölkt, aber die Wolken halten immer noch dicht. Ich fahre die Schwarzwald-Höhenstraße, eine populäre Motorradstrecke, gen Süden, doch andere Moppeds begegnen mir heute nicht. Macht nichts, mehr Straße für mich! Richtung Oppenau komme ich an meinem absoluten Lieblingsort vorbei, der Klosterruine Allerheiligen. Bei jedem Wetter einen Fotostopp wert! Nahe bei findet man auch ein Ehrendenkmal für Gefallene der Weltkriege.
Die Wolken reissen zur Abwechslung mal wieder auf. Am Studentenfelsen schaue ich in die Tiefe und in die Weite und nehme danach den letzten Streckenabschnitt unter die Räder. Es bleibt trocken bis zum Schluss, und als die ersten Tropfen fallen, sitze ich bereits mit einer guten Tasse Tee auf dem heimischen Sofa.









Another great day out Sonja. Good to see the rain gods held out for you. Sure is a pretty area where you are.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinkin tha Germany needs to go on my bucket list after all these posts.
Well, if you are planning to travel Europe one day I would be mildly miffed if you don't visit Germany, even if it is just the "usual suspects" Castle Neuschwanstein, Munich and Heidelberg.
DeleteI'd say you are having a hard time NOT finding and taking beautiful photos!
ReplyDelete;-)
DeleteSo glad you were able to outrun the rain. Those clouds looked a little ominous.
ReplyDeleteThe ruins of that Abbey look beautiful. Such a shame nature conspired to destroy it as a whole. Things were built so beautifully centuries ago. Everything seems to look alike when built now days.
It is quite photogenic and the story adds to the fascination for this building.
DeleteBeautiful pics SonjaM! How close are you both to the Alps?
ReplyDeleteSome of the paths you're riding, look pretty narrow, do you think a URAL would fit?
dom
We are about three hours away from the higher Alps, the foothills could be reached in two.
DeleteI'd say with oncoming traffic on these little roads a sidecar rig would have to face the same challenge as a car would.
I love your pictures. You are really in a beautiful part of the world. I'm enjoying seeing all of the historic buildings.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richard, I am impressed myself how much beauty is in this area. I still feel like a regular tourist.
DeleteSonja:
ReplyDeleteyou are so lucky. I think Orange keeps the rain away. Those dark clouds didn't look good but you outran them
Too bad about that covered bridge. Would it be possible to turn off the engine and just "push" Alonzo through, like a bicycle ?
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
Bob, this is Germany... meaning that there are serious barriers preventing two wheeled folks from crossing the bridge. I tried to fit the scooter through but they were too narrow even for Alonzo. A slim bicycle might have fit through.
DeleteIt's wonderful when you outrun the rain but still have the clouds for such spectacular backdrops. (Here there was no question at all, it rained!)
ReplyDeleteKaren, snapping dramatic cloud pics was part of the exercise... I just kept going expecting any time to be rained on. I was lucky.
DeleteDie Klosterruine ist ja Hammer.
ReplyDelete