Pages

September 25, 2013

I must go to where the River flows

I was born in northern Germany, in a small town somewhere between Hamburg and the Danish border. This geographic heritage makes me a Fischkopp (fish head) as my fellow countrymen would put it. Naturally I became a water aficionado long before I became a motorcycle fan.
The strange attraction to all things water related remained solid all my life. Now, my dilemma is that I am totally land-locked. I couldn't be further away from the open water.
Hence, with the closest ocean a day trip away I have to find other alternatives to get my 'water fix'. Just recently I had the opportunity to visit Lake Nagold and the Schwarzenbach reservoir, but this time I was drawn to the river Rhine.
The lower Rhine region or Bas-Rhin as the French say, is a flat and very fertile region and for miles I rode through an a-maize-ing area.
I traveled small paved roads (lesson learned!), and finally found myself close to the river but not finding any rideable access to it. I could have easily maneuvered around the gate but I am German, so it's not in my blood. A sign explained that motorized vehicles are not allowed to go further to protect the birdlife and the environment. Fair enough!
So, I had Alonzo wait behind the barrier while I took a hike in the marshland. The bog and surrounding dykes are supposed to prevent the flooding of the hinterland in case the river carries high water levels.
Continuing my journey I crossed the Rhine and entered France, then I followed the route south to find another river crossing that would take me back east again.
Aside from the traffic signs you wouldn't notice much that you just changed the country. And due to the colourful history most folks in the Alsace region still speak German.
I spent my lunch break sitting on a bench overlooking the water, and watched the clouds go by. That's the way I like it.
Young swans were competing to get mom's attention.
Soon it was time to return to home base, and I programmed my TomTom to the fastest route (without having to use the highway, please).
Well, it's good to know yet another beautiful place where I can satisfy my craving for water. And bonus, thanks to change of season this little jaunt was almost bug-free.
With another three hour round-trip and an additional 120km on the clock my scooter is now beyond the 3,000km mark.
 Life is good!

***

Zum Fluss. Zum Wasser.

Ich bin ein Nordlicht, oder besser ein Fischkopp, geboren irgendwo zwischen Hamburg und der dänischen Grenze. Auch wenn ich nicht viele Lebensjahre im Norden Deutschlands verbracht habe, zieht es mich immer wie magisch ans Wasser. Nur, dass ich hier im Schwarzwald nicht weiter davon weg sein könnte. Also suche ich mir immer mal wieder 'Ersatz', so wie neulich, als ich an der Nagold-und an der Schwarzenbach-Talsperre war. 
Diesmal sollte es nun an den Rhein gehen. Auf kleinsten (geteerten!) Straßen geht es gen Westen, durch Wiesen und Maisfelder bis ich an einen Hochwasserdamm komme. Dahinter Marschland, aber kein Zugang zum Rhein. Ich mache einen kleinen Spaziergang und wechsele dann auf die französische Seite. In südlicher Richtung dümpele ich dann durch Dörfer, die noch deutsche Namen tragen. Wären nicht die Straßenschilder und die Bureaux du Tabac, würde man nicht merken, dass man gerade neben dem Fluss auch Landesgrenzen überquert hat.
Bevor ich mich wieder nach Osten aufmache genieße ich noch eine spätsommerliche Mittagspause mit Blick auf's Wasser. Ich höre dem Plätschern der Wellen zu und beobachte junge Schwäne beim Spielen, dann geht es weiter über Lahr nach Hause. Insgesamt war ich wieder drei Stunden unterwegs und habe dabei 120km abgespult. Inzwischen habe ich bei Alonzo die Dreitausender-Marke geknackt.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, especially the last one. Great job!

    The other way to look at it is that it's about the same distance to go south rather than north. For some reason, that may be more appealing in the coming months. That looks like a pretty good sized sailboat in the first photo. (I still love sailing...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, you are on to something, we hope to spend some time in the Mediterranean area in the winter months.
      I love sailing too. The picture has been take in New Zealand and I am at the helm of my former bosses boat.

      Delete
  2. I like the last picture best....all this hiking you do, sounds like work.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, hiking gives me the opportunity to eat what ever I want ;-)

      Delete
  3. You could send us a message in a bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Electra's place is only 200 odd clicks downstream.

      Delete
  4. Geboren in Hamburg, geht es mir genauso wie Dir - ich muß ab und an einfach mal "Wassergucken". Und sei es nur die Elbe bei Magdeburg, oder eine Talsperre ... Wassergucken beruhigt mich und läßt das Heimweh nicht so schlimm sein ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So ist es, aber wenn die Herbstzeit mit ihren Stürmen kommt, möchte ich mich am liebsten bei einem langen Strandspaziergang mal richtig durchpusten lassen. Das macht den Kopf so schön frei...

      Delete
  5. Looks like the perfect day out. I too have salt water in my blood, my father was a sailor all his life and I grew up between a lake and the ocean .. now I live about as far as I can from the ocean that I can get without being in the desert .. I know how you feel. I'm so happy for you to have found an oasis in all that greeness :)

    I would have done the same at the gate, there's nothing better than wandering on foot sometimes, specially in nature.

    That last photo is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, that's interesting. We also have fishermen in the family and strong roots connected to the ocean. It becomes hard at times but the green stuff, rivers and lakes help a bit. However, at least once a year I need to spend some time close to salt water.

      Delete
  6. More gorgeous photos. I love your new header image too.

    Being from "The Land of 10,000 Lakes," it was very odd for me when I lived in the desert to have to travel so far to find water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucky. I am not sure if I would come to like living in a desert and not having any water around at all. I like its changing colours, and the noise calms me. I guess I could do without desert.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you were able to find some water and a nice ride away too.

    The picture of the marsh is stunning, the water is so calm and reflective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect combination water & riding ;-)

      Delete
  8. Love those pictures, Sonja.....:-). Germany is a beautiful country with lovely countryside that I hope to return to one day on a visit.....:-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, next time when you guys visit Europe, please plan a stopover in my beautiful homeland.

      Delete
  9. ... *seufz* ... ich kann dich so gut verstehen, ich bin mit Blick auf den Lago Maggiore geboren ...

    Mal wieder ein kleiner, feiner Bericht, der Spaß macht :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke schön. Dann kannst Du sicher meine Sehnsucht zum Wasser auch verstehen...

      Delete