Pages

October 16, 2013

From Dusk till Dawn

I am now into the second week of my new employment as production planner and technical buyer, and I'm not sure yet what to make out of it. I miss my freedom dearly... instead of free roaming, my scootering has somewhat become restricted to commuting. Also, I miss daylight!

The company provides an intense training program for newcomers. Before I actually get to do the job I was hired for I get to spend my time touring the manufacturing facilities, I participate in supplier visits, read tons of manuals and at the same time try to memorize all the names of the many co-workers.

Quite a few colleagues commute by two-wheelers, mostly on 50cc scooters or bicycles. An old horse barn on the premises provides necessary shelter for the bikes. Tucked away safely, the vehicles will patiently wait for their owners to return.

My normal commute it is a pretty straight forward route of twenty kilometers (12 mls), mildly interrupted by four roundabouts and one pedestrian traffic light, a mere fifteen to twenty minutes. But the option of riding home on my trusty steed Alonzo will easily seduce me into taking a detour, and instead of rushing home I would find myself meandering on back roads. A wonderful method to clear my head after a day full of information overload.

***

Ein Arbeitstag
Nun bin ich schon seit über zwei Wochen wieder bei der Arbeit, aber so richtig gewöhnt habe ich mich noch nicht daran. Ich vermisse meine Freiheit und vor allem das Tageslicht, denn ich verlasse das Haus vor Sonnenaufgang und komme erst spät wieder heim. 
Die Firma bietet Neuankömmlingen ein hervorragendes Einarbeitungsprogramm, bei dem man erst einmal im Hause "herum gereicht" wird, d.h man (Frau) lernt Verwaltung und Produktion kennen, bevor es an die Arbeit geht. Viele Kollegen wohnen um die Ecke und fahren mit Rollern oder Fahrrädern zum Werk. Parken dürfen wir mit unseren Zweirädern in einem alten Stall, so stehen die Fahrzeuge wenigstens geschützt. 
Obwohl mein Arbeitsweg gerade mal zwanzig Kilometer beträgt, d.h. ich selten länger als zwanzig Minuten zur Arbeit brauche, dauert es auf dem Heimweg oft länger. Immer wieder erliege ich der Versuchung einen Umweg zu machen, aber das macht den Kopf frei und man (Frau) kommt entspannt zu Hause an.

10 comments:

  1. Sonja:

    I am envious of your 12 miles and 15 minutes. My 15 miles takes an Hour but then I have to stop at nearly every few blocks for a stop light

    You were so fortunate in Port Moody with easy access to "nature", plus a former job with more freedom to be away from your desk. Most of us have the same problem as you have now with having to work fixed hours. I generally don't have time to ride on weekdays either, as after meal preparation it is late

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, my commute from PoMo to Burnaby was 11km and had 19 (!!!) traffic lights. Here on the country side... no such obstacles. I admit that I miss my flex hours. Although working odd hours sometimes I had a lot more freedom. Now I actually have to punch the clock, something that I didn't have to do in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll soon be spring and you can spend the nice weather cooped up in the office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikos. I am so looking forward to it. NOT.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back to the commuter corps! Funny how the ride home often is longer than the ride to work isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Keith. It is the best part of the work day;-)

      Delete
  5. It's pretty nice to have covered parking just for the two wheelers. I'm not at all sure why the ride home is longer but it often is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covered parking s a nice little perk, Richard. The downside is that if you work late the front gate of the premises is closed and you'll have to find a manager with akey to get out of here.

      Delete
  6. Like others here, I'm way more familiar with your new structured work environment than I'd like to be. Love the horse barn bike parking.....reminds me of home. :) You'll be able to prioritize your free time for riding, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that they give employees a barn for two-wheeled protection.

    Also nice they give you ample training as opposed to just throwing you to the wolves expecting you to know al their procedures and protocol. I hope if nothing else it is a job you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete