Pages

April 16, 2014

42


I recently came across a most interesting posting providing the answer to the ultimate question of Life, Universe and Everything important to a cyclist:

What is the right bike for you?

Surprisingly enough the writer didn't talk ergonomics, technical features, types of bike or specific brands, but summed up the complex matter in a mere simple phrase:

The right bike is the bike you ride.

So, I won't be blathering on about how awesome and pretty and suitable my Electra Townie Balloon 8i is to me. Let me just share with you that I find myself wanting to get out on my pedal bike, and I do... almost every weekday night. Not because the activity - although a welcomed side effect - will get and likely keep me fit, moreover I also get to discover small things that I wouldn't have noticed while traveling at scooter or cruiser speed.

Contrasts in beauty:

***

42
Kürzlich fand ich in einem Blog die Antwort zur ultimativen Frage nach dem Leben, dem Universum und den ganzen Rest für den Fahrradfahrer: Welches ist das richtige Fahrrad für Dich?
Zu meiner Überraschung gab es keine Ausführung zu Ergonomie, Technik, Typ oder Marke sondern ganz einfach: Das richtige Fahrrad für Dich ist das Fahrrad, dass Du fährst.
Also werde ich jetzt nicht anfangen, von meinem schönen Electra Townie Balloon 8i zu schwärmen. Es sei nur eines gesagt: Ich ertappe mich dabei, dass ich echt Fahrrad fahren will, und mache es auch fast jeden Abend. Nicht nur, dass es mich fit macht und hält, ich entdecke dabei auch Dinge, die ich auf Roller oder Harley nicht wahrgenommen hätte.

13 comments:

  1. Isn't she awesome?

    Just curious- do you have trail pass fees or city bike use fees? I understand the need for fees to maintain city bike paths and state trails, but not all states have those fees. Just wondering how it works where you are.

    Scootering is great fun, but there is nothing like being able to ride off into the countryside, quiet, and that feeling you get after a long, perfect ride- exhilarating and calming at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, in our are the cycle paths are maintained by fees we snatch off tourists. It's called Kurtaxe (= visitor taxes), and held back directly through hotel bills.
      I really got to appreciate the calm part of the cycle ride. There is a lot of sound in the air, birds tweeting, insects buzzing, my laboured breathing while going uphill...

      Delete
    2. So they are really my cycle paths? I understand the part about laboured breathing.....

      Delete
  2. I find it is much easier to stop and take pictures when on a bicycle. It is nice to have that slower pace sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, you are right. And the best thing, you don't have to watch out for traffic (except for other bikers, skaters or pedestrians) because I am riding 99% on cycle paths.

      Delete
  3. Nichtsdestotrotz sollte aber mal gesagt werden, was für ein ausgesprochen schönes Fahrrad dein Townie ist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Funny. Ich finde es auch sehr ansprechend.

      Delete
  4. This...
    "I also get to discover small things that I wouldn't have noticed while traveling at scooter or cruiser speed"

    There is a big trend in bicycling that isn't all spandex and racing, but rather just exploring or picnicing or whatever. No special clothes required. None of that carbon fiber silliness. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy long, fast (for me) rides, but I love just exploring by bike. This is the real joy I get from riding. The moto is for when I want to explore farther afield and have less time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, that's exactly what it is about. Somehow the rediscovery of going slow to smell the roses. Going fast is not really an option for this beach cruiser but now that I have gotten a taste of cycling I find myself looking at other bikes more often. Maybe one day I'll get one for touring.

      Delete
  5. I agree totally with your comment, "I also get to discover small things that I wouldn't have noticed while traveling at scooter or cruiser speed" in regard to bike riding and scooter riding.

    I myself care nothing for speed, aerodynamics, spandex, engine size, or any such stuff myself.

    It's all about immersing in the sweet smell of the deep woods, noticing the out-of-the-way places, slowing down to savor the experiences!

    I like your Townie. I have not seen that model. It looks to be very comfortable and functional!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. The Townie is new for 2014 (at least in Europe is was), but it should be available on the US market. It's good to have a cycle that doesn't require spandex... not sure about how I would look in such...

      Delete
  6. Das Stichwort Entschleunigung vermittelt einem den Zauber des ruhigen Betrachtens. Ich genieße mein Radeln auch deshalb, weil ich bequemer vorankomme als zu Fuß, aber trotzdem etwas länger unterwegs sein kann. Ich verstehe Dich gut :-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heike, dann haben wir ja noch etwas Schönes gemeinsam ;-)

      Delete