I haven't been cycling since 1st of November, and I feel bad about it, but my sneezing and coughing prevented me from exercising (ok, it's rather joy riding than exercise). Alas, I lost the little fitness I had built up over summer, and have to start from scratch, in the cold, in the dark, likely in bad weather and with biting cross winds.
Before I procured my Townie I had a long phase on non-cycling, as a matter of fact I used to fiercely dislike the whole pedal powered means of transportation. Meanwhile I actually start to miss these little outings. But will I ever turn into a hardcore cyclist?
Ok, it has its advantages with regards to health and fitness, not to forget the positive impact on the environment, but I will always prefer a motorised two-wheeler over a pedal bike. I do not cycle long distance, or commute or even pedal every day, and sometimes my outings are less than 20 clicks, and under an hour of riding time.
I will never aspire to win or even to participate in a race or a challenge. I don't like riding uphills. I don't own spandex or other typical cycle gear (except for a helmet), and you will not ever find me wearing it. If I can't cycle in jeans I won't do it. I don't use cycle lingo - but I know that my type of bicycle is called a beach cruiser. I don't speed, and I regularly stop for photo ops and vistas.
Hardcore? Certainly not. But I do consider myself a cyclist nevertheless, because when I'm on my pedal bike I am thoroughly enjoying it, it makes me smile and clears my mind. Also, for some reason, I find pictures like this one I found on the inter web, strangely inspiring:
A cyclist? I am one.

I keep thinking that a fat bike would be a lot of fun though the cost is a real barrier. Especially since there is a huge weight penalty with lower priced models. I still dream of having the luxury of time for long bicycle trips. Moto trips seem to be more practical if you are trying to get somewhere....
ReplyDeleteRichard, if it weren't for the obstacles - also called hills or mountains - I would gladly travel by bike. It is not so much the climb uphill that turns me off, it is the fast way down, with the flimsy breaking system on a bike (and less gear...). In a flat land, the bicycle would be my first choice of transportation for sure (at least I like to tell that myself...)
DeleteI thought those were referred to as "challenges" that needed to be overcome. I've always felt that bicycle brakes were almost too good i.e. too easy to lock the wheels. I've really enjoyed some high speed runs down mountains on a bicycle.
DeleteChallenges? Oh that! I am not one for downhill racing, so I rather avoid the uphill thing to begin with ;-)
DeleteI think the most enjoyable day on a bike is when you go at a comfortable pace, stop a lot for pics or to explore, and have a nice picnic lunch at a pretty stop along the road.
ReplyDeleteI don’t like to race. I do enjoy long distances though, and that means having enough fitness to finish the ride in a timely manner. Oddly I like like hills and mountains but I'm sloooowwww. Like walking speed.
It sucks but fitness that takes months to build takes about 2 weeks to lose! :(
Kari, I wouldn't mind long distance and said picnic lunch, as long as it wouldn't involve too many hills ;-)
DeleteIt is so unfair to lose fitness that fast...
Almost forgot...I love you photo and the processing you did with it. Nice vintage touch.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much!
DeleteOooo girl, you're going to get some fat Arctic tires! My city life has good and bad and I miss being able to comfortably ride my bike around. Quality of Life Issue list.
ReplyDeletePeople who are true bicyclists don't care what you wear or what you know about bikes. Just a love of riding is all you need. All you need is love!
Well, Martha love for the ride and appreciation for the bicycle I certainly bring along, plus enthusiasm where there's lack of fitness ;-)
DeleteEvery time I see another post about bicycling I think I should dust mine off (if I can find it under all the other junk) and see if it still works. But then I lie down for a bit and the feeling goes away. :)
ReplyDeleteIt just seems like so much work when I have a perfectly good internal combustion engine (or 2... or 3) sitting in the driveway. But I do like the photos taken when traveling at a slower pace.
I have been there, and I know the feeling, and I am totally with you on the preference of a motorised two-wheeler. Traveling by pedal bike however, opens up some other perspective, and you can go where motorbikes (legally) can't go.
DeleteSonja that snow looks much worse than hills (maybe!)
ReplyDeleteKaren, but don't you think it looks fun, too?
DeleteGreat photo Sonja.
ReplyDeleteIf you ride a bicycle you are a cyclist, not matter what the hard-core elite might try to tell you.
We haven't been on the bikes since that one chilly outing either. Our trails are mostly closed and so we have to find some deserted roads or other pathways. And wait for the blasted rain to stop, sigh.
Hope you are feeling better now.
Thanks, Brandy. You know I certainly get my share of sneers when on my beach cruiser, but I also get all the kudos when I have climbed a hill on "that thing", which normal cyclists don't get ;-)
DeleteI am feeling much better, thanks, but the flu had me taken out for almost a month (but as a good German I was working of course...)
I like the new header pic!
ReplyDeleteAs to being a cyclist, I believe you fit the definition.....much better than I ever will. Too much work.
Sonja, you are MY kind of cyclist!! When I go and I do, though not very often, I go in jean shorts and if I know someone is looking, wear flip flops. That fits my definition of fun and enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteYep, me too! I ditched the spandex and whatnot a few years ago. I mostly ride a local rail trail which is car free and gets me out into the woods and quiet and away from people and stress.
ReplyDeleteI never understood those who "suit up" and ride like they are in the Tour de France. To each their own I guess.
Love that pic too!
I have to agree with the others - if you love to ride, then i think you're a cyclist. But i understand what you mean and I struggle with this, too. Like there is some secret club or handshake or maybe some other intangible thing that finally "allows" you to wear the cyclist badge. Screw it. Ride your bike and have a great time.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pics, as usual.
Cycle on!