Pages

February 01, 2015

Online Petition: Legalize Lane Splitting in Germany!

Lane splitting or traffic filtering although widely tolerated, is NOT legal in Germany. An online petition is aiming at changing this. I am all for it!


***

Online Petition: Stau-Durchfahrung für Motorräder
Liebe LeserInnen, Mopped-FahrerInnen, MitfahrerInnen und Zweirad-Fans... bitte tragt Euch bei dieser Online-Petition ein, damit wir eine Legalisierung der Stau-Durchfahrung erreichen. Jede(r), der mal kochend in seiner Lederpelle im Stau verbracht hat, weiß warum... 

HIER ist der Link. Ach ja, bitte weiter sagen...

19 comments:

  1. Oops. I has no idea I was breaking the law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you did indeed filter, I am afraid you were...

      Delete
  2. On this one I'm afraid I don't agree with you Sonja. What's the hurry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, it's certainly not about giving the cagers the finger, and blasting away with 100 mph. Traffic jams in a congested place like Germany are the rule, not the exception, and they can be many miles long, delaying you for hours. It's one thing to wait this out in an A/C'ed car but another if your are on a bike in full gear in the sweltering heat. Heat stroke, dehydration and cramped hands (from shifting between 1st, 2nd and neutral) are just one of the few problems you got to deal with when stuck in traffic. Filtering would help keeping the lines shorter and the wind could cool down the rider.

      Delete
    2. However, since the car drivers will not be expecting you - it just takes one to open the door (to your downfall.)

      Delete
    3. 1. they shouldnt open doors in traffic. 2. its not just the beeing quicker, its also the dangers about the distracted drivers. imagine car A is stoped and car B comes in distracted with something( possibly phone), car B hits car A noone is injured, now imagine car A is a motorcycle, the rider would most likely be heavily injured, or in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, or even dead.

      Delete
    4. 1. they shouldnt open doors in traffic 2. its not just beeing quicker, its also about the dangers with distracted drivers. imagine car A is stoped and car B comes in distracted with something (possibly phone), car B hits car A noone is injured, now imagine car A was a motorcycle, the rider will most likely be heavily injured, or in a wheelchair for the rest of his life or even dead. lane splitting is something about safety as well, wich is illegal in many countrys in europe wich is dumb...even the cops do it, they dont mind us doing it but if we catch a mad cop we will get a ticket, a big one...

      Delete
  3. Good on you, we introduced lane filtering here in NSW Australia and it is now being taken on in different states of Australia. As long as you filter at speeds below 30kmh your pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ja, es wird Zeit, dass das mal endlich erlaubt wird. Unsere Nachbarn sind da viel fortschrittlicher und ich frage mich, warum wir ständig irgendwelche EU-Richtlinien aufgedrückt bekommen, es aber bei der durchaus sinnvollen Staudurchfahrung hapert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moppedfahrer haben eben keine Lobby...

      Delete
    2. Hello Sonja!

      What type of tickets are sent in the post? Is a filtering / staudurchfahrung ticket always on the spot or could they mail it through the post? I ask because I passed a police officer today after another motorcycle went down the line. The police did not come after me, I even stopped right after the traffic to get something from my bags, so I was easy to follow but they did not. It was construction and the traffic was stopped, but I was in a passing area and reentered the line before the passing area ended. I have passed police before while filtering on multi-lane roads, and never had a problem, but always following other motorcycles, so a group of at least two or more.

      I guess the short question for the future is what type of tickets do they mail in Germany, only speeding and red light or others, as well?

      Delete
    3. Speeding ticket you'll definitely get in the mail. Parking ticket or red light? Never got one so I don't know. But I am guessing if they have your licence plate number, you'll get it in the mail as well. Lane splitting is still illegal but widely tolerated. It might be that a police officer stops you and advises you not to do it but I have not heard of a fine.

      Delete
    4. Thank you for the resonse, Sonja,

      I very rarely filter or advance myself at a light. And I always do it slowly and safely. I have seen others move too quickly and dangerously, in my opinion. I believe this should be legal, but that riders must be careful and ride reasonably in order to get the support from the larger public for a law change. I know all bikers will push for this change, but the non-bikers support is needed, as well.

      Delete
    5. You're welcome, I think you have a very healthy approach to this matter. Ride safe.

      Delete
  5. Vielleicht schaffen wir es ja auch irgendwann einmal auf die Busspur, wie es in einigen Bezirken Wiens schon geht...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Die sind eben schlauer als wir... seufz. Also mitmachen und weitersagen.

      Delete
  6. Wow, I'm surprised it's not legal there. I thought it was fairly common everywhere but here in the US. Good luck. I've never split lanes, but I know those who do, really like having the option in some situations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea it was technically illegal in Germany. Chalk that up as a rare win for life in the UK. Glad I found this out before my trip to Germany this summer (making a stop to see the World's Largest Cuckoo Clock on suggestion from your Scooter Bob post).

    It must be the case that Germans are very tolerant/accepting of filtering because I know riders here who were under the impression it's legal there. Here in the UK, it is such a wonderful tool for maintaining progress. I would find it very frustrating to just be sitting still in the heat/cold/rain/etc.

    ReplyDelete