Pages

February 08, 2015

A cold Ride


Weirdly motivated by bluecat's activities I managed to subdue my inner sloth, and got the Townie out of its shack for the first time this year. Although sunny it had no more than -4°C (25°F). I tried to dress appropriate for the weather but somewhat failed. My hands and feet were cold, and stayed that way until I got home, while the rest of my body became toasty while moving.


One had to watch out for icy patches on the trails, but since I was going at a fairly slow pace - I admit to being completely out of shape - risk of slippage was low.


Ponds and rivers were half frozen, and the higher I climbed the more of the white stuff showed up. After a while I developed a serious desire to wrap my hands around a steaming mug of hot beverage, and called it a day. For next time I am going to bring along a Thermos, and maybe a P/B sandwich for a little winter picknick, but right now, I have a date with my hot water bottle.


***

Winter-Radeln
Inspiriert durch Bluecat's Aktivitäten besiegte ich zur Abwechslung meinen inneren Schweinehund und holte - zum ersten Mal in diesem Jahr - mein Townie aus seinem Quartier. Obwohl sonnig, hatte es nur -4°C. Ich versuchte mich passend zum Klima anzuziehen, aber irgendwie gelang mir das nicht ganz. Hände und Füße blieben kalt, während der Rest des Körpers durch die Bewegung angenehm warm wurde. Es gab zwar ein bisschen Glatteis, aber da ich - völlig aus der Form - recht langsam unterwegs war, war dies keine große Gefahr. Teich und Fluss waren angefroren und je höher ich kam, desto weißer wurde es. Nach einer Weile sehnte ich mich danach, meine Hände um eine Tasse Heißgetränk zu wickeln und beendete die Runde. Bei nächsten Mal werde ich eine Thermoskanne Tee und vielleicht sogar ein Erdnussbutter-Sandwich mitnehmen, damit ich länger durchhalte. Aber nun habe ich erst einmal eine Verabredung mit meiner Wärmflasche.

12 comments:

  1. Sonja that looked chilly. You need heated mittens and socks now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went out today: inner liners and woollen socks did the trick. Toasty all over.

      Delete
  2. A twinge of envy that you are motivated. I would get on my bike and think: Let's get this over with. Since I have asthma, cold air in my lungs is a bad, bad thing.

    Even your winter landscape looks like our spring. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, believe me I was wheezing quite a bit, still recovering from the bad infection I had last November and December. But it's about time I get back in shape.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of sunshine and blue skies, thanks for sharing! The weather has been so warm and mild here that I'm itching to get out on my bike, but alas I have to get over this stupid head cold first. *sniff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for getting out and on two wheels in those temps. My hands and feet would have been frozen as well. The thermos and pbj is a great idea for a wilderness picnic.

    At least you had some sunshine and managed some pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a girl's gotta do... it wasn't easy, but it got better with every mile.

      Delete
  5. Nice photos and it does look like Spring. I can't seem to get myself out on the bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Richard, with the other obvious option at hand, who could blame you. You gotta keep on riding your three-wheeler for us.

      Delete
  6. Boah, wacker :-)

    Mein Fahrrad ist z. Zt. bei meiner Schwester und ich nehme mir jeden Tag vor, einen Runde mit dem Roller zu drehen ... aber mein Schweinehund ist irgendwie so ungestüm. Der lässt sich einfach nicht besiegen ... Menno :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, glaube mir ich kenne diesen Schweinehund. es hat Wochen gedauert, bis ich diesen Kerl besiegt hatte.

      Delete