Pages

September 13, 2017

Like somebody flicked a Switch - Wer hat den Schalter umgelegt?


Last week it was still T-Shirt weather, this week started with a mere 11°C (52F), so goodbye light mesh jacket and hello, two layered motorcycle gear.

Letzte Woche war doch noch T-Shirt Wetter, und diese Woche startete echt mit bloßen 11°C. Da hieß es tschüss leichte Bikerjacke und hallo zwei-lagige Motorradkluft.


The sky was dark with clouds but it was dry when I set out to run some errands. Twenty minutes later heaven's gate opened with a vengeance, and rainstorm and high winds were hitting me hard. I reduced my speed because vision was limited, and roads got slippery. Not wanting to risk an accident I decided to wait it out and seek shelter at a hiker's refuge. The hut was kept in shipshape and had a couple of benches and a table. I had a seat and listened to music while waiting for the storm to pass. The wind kept ripping at the trees and the rain pounded against the window. And then there was silence.

Es waren zwar dunkle Wolken am Himmel, aber es war trocken, als ich losfuhr, um noch etwas zu erledigen. Aber nur zwanzig Minuten später öffnete der Himmel seine Schleusen. Ein heftiger Schauer ging auf mich nieder. Der Wind peitschte mir entgegen. Ich konnte kaum noch etwas sehen und die Straßen wurden glitschig. Da ich nicht scharf auf einen Ausrutscher war, fand ich es angebracht, mir schleunigst einen Unterstand zu suchen, an dem ich warten konnte, bis das Schlimmste vorbei war. Da entdeckte ich eine Schutzhütte für Wanderer. Das Häuschen war pieksauber und drinnen befanden sich ein Tisch und zwei Bänke. Also setzte ich mich und hörte ein bisschen Musik zum Zeitvertreib, während über mir der Sturm an den Baumen zerrte und der Regen gegen die Fenster prasselte. Nach einer Weile wurde es still.


I looked outside: The rain had stopped. Although I had left Bella under the protecting roof of a big tree (I couldn't bring it to the hut, the foot bridge over the creek was too narrow for a scooter to fit through) the poor Vespa was dripping wet but otherwise unharmed. I started her up, and off we went. 

Ich sah nach draußen, der Regen hatte nachgelassen. Obwohl ich Bella unter dem schützenden Blätterdach eines großen Baumes zurück gelassen hatte (ich konnte den Roller nicht mit über den Bach nehmen, dafür war die Brücke zu eng), war die arme Vespa tropfnass, aber ansonsten unbeschädigt. Also startete ich den Motor und fuhr ab nach Hause, wo es trocken und warm war.

Back home, where it is warm and dry.

14 comments:

  1. Good pics, I prefer cooler weather actually, sunny and clear skies I find boring. Nice job on the "through the window" shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dom, I don't mind cool, but I could have done without the rainstorm. The window shot was purely by accident, but worked out nice.

      Delete
  2. Like someone flipped a switch here too, except we went from cool, damp weather to summer-like conditions overnight. So mid-September we start getting the summer we missed. Late, but I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never, eh? It's typical November weather over here, and way too cold for this time of the year.

      Delete
  3. Liebe Sonja,
    boah, was habt ihr viel Platz in der Garage! Beneidenswert :-)
    Das Wetter ist ja echt nicht mehr normal, aber wir bekommen bestimmt noch ein paar schöne Tage ... zumal die Ente mal bewegt werden müsste (ehe sie Fett ansetzt)
    Viele Grüße,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irina, frisch aufgeräumt und einiges entsorgt (aber noch nicht fertig...)
      Ich hoffe auch, dass es noch nicht das Ende des schönen Wetters ist, da ich wenigstens noch einmal die Sportster dieses Jahr ausfahren will...

      Delete
  4. Time to hunt for the switch...

    Similar story here. It's getting down to almost freezing at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not much of a surprise in your neck of the woods, Richard but it came way too soon in southwestern Germany.

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see your pictures again. The Internet suddenly sprang to life in Key West. Why or how I don't know but another blow to Irma's path of destruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I was thinking of you and had been regularly checking up on your virtual life signs on FB and your blog. Glad you're safe, and back online.

      Delete
  6. Wow. Such beautiful scenery though. I am glad you had a place to wait out the rain. Let's hope you get some more sunshine before fall really sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice to see you out and about, whatever the weather. As long as the weather doesn't get too cool, rain can add to a ride rather than take away. You did well with it, nothing wrong with watching it happen while enjoying music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pics! Looks like an awesome place to ride. I hate getting caught in the rain when I ride. At least there was some shelter for you to wait it out. Finally getting summer here, (in September) in the 30's just yesterday! By next week I figure we will end up directly into winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats some crazy weather change, seems mixed up in the southern hemisphere too in opposite way as record heat wave in what should be still Spring.

    ReplyDelete