We only get one run at life so might as well have fun on the way. (Geoff James)
March 03, 2018
Making the best out of a business trip - Auf Geschäftsreise... ich mache das Beste draus.
My 'tour of duty' had me three days on the road, and I was glad that the roundtrip wasn't accompanied by adverse weather conditions. Exception was the fairly steep temperature drop, because minus 15°C (5F) is not your usual temperature in Germany. My route went north by way of my company's subsidiary site, in order to visit a supplier in a small-town near Bremen. Some sections of the Autobahn were every fast driver's dream. Riding an average speed of 160 to 200 kmph (100 to 120 mph) I was able to make good progress.
Mein Arbeitseinsatz führte mich quer durch Deutschland und ich war ziemlich froh, dass ich auf der Tour von extremer Wetterlage verschont geblieben bin - mit der Ausnahme eisiger Temperaturen, denn minus 15°C ist hier ja auch nicht gerade die Regel. Der Verkehr war nicht allzu schlimm, als ich mit Umweg über unser Zweigwerk Richtung Norden zu einem Lieferantenbesuch in der Nähe von Bremen unterwegs war. Auf manchen Teilabschnitten konnte man mit Durchschnittsgeschwindigkeiten von 160 bis 200 km/h ganz gut Strecke machen.
Said supplier had me well wined and dined, and also put me in an accommodation of my liking. The location was a former hill fort, former abbey now wellness retreat. I arrived shortly before sundown, and took the opportunity to take a brisk walk on a nearby hiking trail. With the windchill effect had dropped the temperatures to almost -20°C (-4F). Traveling for business had me a bit ill equipped for a hike. But I improvised by donning another sweat shirt, putting on a second pair of socks and wrapping my scarf around my head. And it worked, these additional layers did the trick.
Mit besagtem Lieferanten war ein gemeinsames Abendessen in einem vorzüglichen Restaurant vereinbart. Die Unterbringung war mehr als zufriedenstellend. Das Forsthaus Heiligenberg befindet sich auf einem ehemaligen Ringwall, auf dem später ein Kloster errichtet wurde. Heute ist dort allerdings eher Urlaub und Erholung angesagt. Da ich noch vor Sonnenuntergang ankam, nutzte ich die Gelegenheit für einen kleinen Spaziergang. Mit Windchilleffekt hatte die gefühlte Temperatur inzwischen fast minus 20 Grad erreicht. Weil ich eher konservative Kleidung mitgebracht hatte, musste ich improvisieren und zog mir daher einen zweiten Pullover und noch ein Paar extra Socken an und wickelte mein Halstuch um den Kopf. Das funktionierte gut und ich blieb unter diesen Schichten mollig warm.
Nearby I found the old abbey mill, but not only the building seemed frozen in time. The wheel was frozen still as well as the waters that usually propel it.
Die alte Klostermühle war eingefroren, das Mühlrad stand still, und statt Wasser gab es nur Eiszapfen.
I got a glimpse of the sunset, and while watching it it seemed that temperatures fell with the the light disappearing. It was time to return to the warmth of my heated hotel room, and a hot shower.
Ich erwischte noch einen letzten Blick auf den Sonnenuntergang, und mit dem Verschwinden des Sonnenlichts schien es noch kälter zu werden. Es war höchste Zeit ins warme Zimmer zurückzukehren, und eine heiße Dusche gönnte ich mir auch noch.
Next day, on my way to the supplier's production facility, I came by a vintage - no longer in service - petrol station. I found it fondly restored, with automotive relics from a past when traveling by car was rather luxury than convenience or necessity. It was fun, and reminded me of gas stations I discovered while traveling in the US and Canada. These little things make a road trip worthwhile, even when it is for business.
Am nächsten Morgen fuhren wir auf dem Weg zum Lieferanten an einer alten Tankstelle vorbei. Sie war liebevoll restauriert und im Schaufenster wurden Relikte aus vergangenen Tagen des Automobils ausgestellt, damals, als das Autofahren noch ein Luxus und nicht Bequemlichkeit und Notwendigkeit war. Das fand ich richtig toll, erinnerte es mich doch an die typischen Tankstellen, an denen ich während meiner Reisen durch die USA und Kanada vorbei gekommen bin. Mit solchen kleinen Entdeckungen am Wegesrand kann auch eine Geschäftsreise immer zu etwas Besonderem werden.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Pretty nice area, and the accommodations look fabulous. Though meeting with vendors wouldn't rank very high on my list. But beautiful photos and I like the old gas station. Back in the day they probably checked the oil and washed the windows.
ReplyDeleteI also imagine that the service level in gas stations back in the day were beyond cashier function, Richard.
DeleteThere were times when I got pretty excited over business travels, but nower days it's just an exercise of duty.
That restored vintage gas station loks like something you'd find on US Route 66 but of course, with German words....cool.
ReplyDeleteThe trees in the pics, normally that thin or is it a repopulated forest perhaps?
Too bad these gas stations were mostly replaced. When I traveled on Route 66 I saw plenty of them.
DeleteThe area was likely reforested. Not much old growth left in Germany, Dom.
The frozen landscape makes for pretty pictures, but brrr. That is chilly for a hike.
ReplyDeleteThe walk would have been quite pleasant when in the correct gear, Brandy ;-)
DeleteSonja....-4F? I'm impressed; you were obviously intent on 'getting out'. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteAfter having spent several hours in a car, not getting out wasn't an option, Doug ;-) no matter the temps.
DeleteQuote: "Riding/driving at an average speed of 160-200 km/hr, I was able to make good progress". I love the German understatement Sonja. I only have one word for you in future...... Petrolhead ;-)
ReplyDeleteNot sure, Geoff. Thankfully I didn't have to ask anyone "How was my driving...?"
DeleteBut with the appropriate means of transport (and a free road - which is not often the case), speed can be fun. You know best what I'm talking about, don't you ;-)
Na so vermummt bist in Bayern ein Fall für den Staatsanwalt 😁
ReplyDeleteAber Du kommst ordentlich rum. Und die Tanke ist ja der Hammer. Was zum schauen und träumen. 🙄
Hi Marcus, daran habe ich gar nicht gedacht ;-)
DeleteDie Tour war schon für Fortgeschrittene. So etwas brauche ich bestimmt nicht jede Woche. Ich sag's mal mit dem Zitat aus Lethal Weapon: "Ich bin zu alt für diesen Schei..."
Schau mal hier: http://www.energypark.ch/ Das wäre vielleicht etwas für euch!
ReplyDelete