I look a little lost on that bike, and the handlebar is too far away for comfort. But I have to admit, it is a mighty pretty two-wheeler.
The show seemed to be dominated by choppers, there was a lot of shiny chrome on display. Pleasant to look at, but how do you actually ride these things?
Did I mention that I love classic motorcycles? In the adjacent hall one could have a look at some classic bikes, and yet again the British two-wheelers win the beauty contest.
And last but not least, to my absolute surprise Royal Enfield's little thumpers are coming to Canada. Their website has only been launched recently, and all my cafe racer dreams will now come back and haunt me.
Overall it was time well spent, and I came back with a pile of brochures, free magazines and a 2.5" thick Touratech catalogue for inspiration, humming the Barenaked Ladies' song 'If I had a million dollars...'
Kid in the candy store! The photos are as bright and cheerful as one.
ReplyDeleteI love that Barenaked Ladie's song.
How do you actually ride these things? - Carefully is the answer. Choppers are ok to ride, but it is just a different riding style. It does take a short while to get used to, but it soon becomes easy. I have a cruiser and a chopper and it is easy to switch between the two.
ReplyDeleteVery different to the G650GS that you have your eye on.
Gary
http://garysusatour.blogspot.com
nice report on the bike show....I must agree with you on the Brit Vintage bikes being eye-catching....almost as pretty as airheads. : )
ReplyDeleteLots of pretty pictures today. I, too, look at the choppers and sadly shake my head. Not for me, but they sure can be attractive. I'm guessing the V-Strom is too tall and top heavy for your comfort?
ReplyDelete@irondad: Thanks for your feedback, Dan. There's so much truth in that song ;-)
ReplyDelete@Gary: Hello and greetings to the UK. Thanks for stopping by. Isn't is fantastic that we have a choice of styles? I rather prefer to have my feet right under me (pretending to have more control over my two-wheeler), but that doesn't mean that I don't like shiny stuff ;-)
@Charlie6: You had to say that, yes? I don't disagree but I find the British vintage bikes just a tad bit sexier ;-)
@Chuck: Thanks so much for your kind comment. The Wee unfortunately is not made for me, although it is probably the best cross-over bike at price for value.
Seems the day for motorcycle shows - I just was at the Ottawa one and posted a few pics on my blog (ontwowheels-eh.blogspot.com).
ReplyDeleteSadly they didn't have any vintage bikes out this year. As old Brit iron is where my heart really is, it's too bad. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously from your photos.
@Canajun: Glad I could help in a way... vicariously. I had to look up that one in the dictionary, so by accident you just helped me in my effort to learn one new word a day.
ReplyDeleteSonja, great report and pics of the bike show! When I can't ride due to the weather, it's great just to be around bikes.
ReplyDeleteExactly my point, Lance. Occasionally I even visit the local motorcycle dealers to be around bikes and have a gasoline chat with the sales guys who are pretty bored this time of the year.
ReplyDeleteNice photo on the Wee ... WRT handlebar too far away - you can probably rotate it back quite a bit without needing longer cables / brake lines. If you haven't decided when you're here the next time, you should give it a try on Andrea's Wee.
ReplyDeleteHi Guido, I might just take you up on that offer... until next time ;-)
ReplyDelete