Pages

May 02, 2010

Love at first sight (No touching yet...)

First I went to Yamaha, but didn't find one model that would have remotely satisfied my needs. Triumph couldn't convince me, since they don't offer the Bonnie with ABS (yet), while even the simplest Beemer models can be upgraded with something that should be considered a standard these days. So, here I am again, same brand, another dealer.
I really like the X-Country, but $11,000+? You got to be kidding me.

From the corner of my eye I see something shiny, bright and yellow... an older F650GS. The canary is a 2004 build, has 22,000km on the clock, and is farkled to the extreme. And yes, she has ABS as well. The owner (a doctor) is planning to trade in the beauty for a new bike. I grabbed the sales guy by the collar, and told him, I want that bike, I need that bike... hold her for me, I want to see her, feel her, sit on her, and (hopefully) make her mine. (Wait a minute, does that sound gay now? Aaahh, whatever...)

Some of you might understand my feelings. She looks similar to this pic that I pulled off the net.
I will test-ride the bike next Saturday, and if she feels right, and sounds and looks healthy, I might just take her home. To be continued...

10 comments:

  1. It did sound a bit gay, but I hope that if the romance blossoms, that you will be very happy together! I hope the test ride goes ok - you need to get a bike soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking machine. Hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one! That'll be the right treat for Vancouver! All dreams come true ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. SonjaM:

    I keep gravitating to the F650/800GS . At the parking protest there were a few there and I spoke to the owners and they just love them . They seem to get a few of them at JVolk. I saw a really nice one last year, yellow and nearly bought it.

    There was another one for sale recently on Vancouver Island, only a year or two old. It had low miles and had travelled across Canada on only ONE trip.

    have fun with your new toy, when you get it

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I hope it will all work out... my fellow traveler is getting tired of the repeat visits to different motorcycle dealers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, today is Wednesday ... so, you only have two more days to traverse before embracing the love of your life. Sounds very promising, this relationship -:)

    Steve Williams just posted a glowing review on Scooter in the Sticks of his recent love affair with this model BMW. Got me interested enough to look at the specs and verify that with lowered suspension the seat height comes in at 30.1 inches. Very helpful for those with short inseams.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope all goes well tomorrow. I'm not keen on suspense, but I love happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always liked this particular model both the thumper and twin versions. I wasn't aware of the lowering option when I last looked. That would have made a difference for me.

    It's after the 7th. What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  9. SonjaM:

    I went to Valk on Saturday, sat on a few Beemers, incl F800GS, seems a bit high for me. the 800ST felt just right, there was also an 800R in the front.

    waiting impatiently for news . . .

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like Cupid's arrow found its mark. It's pierced the conscious layer and gone to your heart. I have a feeling the hand's been played but we just haven't seen all the cards, yet.

    ReplyDelete