Pages

May 23, 2010

Rite of Passage

Today I made my entrance in the wet coast biker society. If you wanna bike all year you gotta ride in the rain.
Since I was with Bob and Jeff, one of his other riding buddies, the trip started off with a hearty breakfast at White Spot.
The sky was overcast, and soon the first drops hit the visors. Shortly after we left Stave Falls
the rain really started hitting us hard, and I got to appreciate my heated grips, because my gloves were soaked instantly (good for me I carried another pair in the Pelican).
On our next Kodak moment the roads were dry again.
We took a detour to Kilby Historic Site to acquire some Blackberry Jam.
And the floodgates of heaven opened again. We made it to Harrison Hot Springs and had some pretty good sushi for lunch. 
For entertainment we watched a cager damaging a pick-up truck while getting out of his parking spot. Bob instantly reached for this camera to document the incident, because the driver fled, or so we thought. A couple of minutes later the guy returned, with pen and paper, and proved us wrong. Honni soit qui mal y pense!
Dark clouds over Harrison Lake
Far to soon it was time to turn around. We took the fast lane back (Highway 1), but yet had time to make a quick stop over at Cultus Lake.
Besides the gloves the rest of my gear proved to be watertight. That's important to know before going on a major trip, and plans for this are already in the make!
PS: People pictures are obviously not my forte, I guess I leave this up to Bob.

8 comments:

  1. There ya go. Now that your a member of the wet coast society, rain is no longer an issue - LOL.
    Love the first photo: a bike in the rain. There is something cozy about that. As for your ride report, you guys sure have some beauftiful riding up there. I already knew that, but seeing the pics from the ride just confirm it. Funny thing you mentioned about photos of people, that's my weak point as well. Ron makes up for it though as he is always getting people photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have known it. one ride and two meals - Bob must be involved!

    It looked like a lovely ride, despite the rain. Some of the scenery around where you now live is stunning. BC part time, NZ part time - not a bad combination! You had better get those gloves sorted before your major ride. BTW, the yellow bike looks great!

    I like the flags in the penultimate photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it... raw fish for lunch when you're with Bob! Nice ride report! It really looks like the Northwest. Harrison Lake looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great initiation Sonja! Regarding waterproof gloves, have a look at this website:http://www.rain-off.com/index.htm. Just about everyone in NZ has a pair and they fold up into a small pouch that can be kept on the bike. Can't speak highly enough about them.

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bluecat: Isn't that funny, it also gives me warm and fuzzy feelings to see raindrops on my bike, and be able to trust it in the rain.
    @Gary: You certainly won't starve on a ride with Bob.
    @Mike: It is not always raw fish... last time we had chicken, and I am sure it was fried.
    @Geoff: Thanks for the link. Curious, of all things I found a shop in Calgary that is selling those gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SonjaM & everyone:

    I think that one day you will have to adopt the same philosophy. All rides are for FOOD interupted by riding . . .

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Bob: You are a wise man, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you say, if you don't ride in the rain around here, you don't ride much. You are either hardy or falling prey to the insanity that affects the rest of us.

    People? What are those? The things that are always getting in my way?

    ReplyDelete